Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic Bike Clutch
locoboy

posted on 6/11/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic Bike Clutch

Hi Guys,

I have a CBR1000 engine which has a Hydraulic clutch, i bought this M/C at Donnington for a fiver!

Does anyone have any idea if it will be any use or not?

ATB
Locoboy

MikeR

posted on 6/11/04 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't it all depends on the bore + stroke of the master cyclinder (ie fulid displaced) and bore / stroke of the slave cylinder.........

At a guess, bike clutches are hand driven off the handlebars so small, therefore small displacement. Thats got 5/8 written on the side of it so ....... probably large displacement.

(p.s. no idea what i'm talking about)

Peteff

posted on 6/11/04 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
5/8"=0.625"

I'd give it a try, it's not that big. You can experiment by moving the point you connect to on the pedal to limit the travel. I have read of bike rear brake master cylinders being used for the job if it is too big.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phelpsa

posted on 6/11/04 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
The MC on my gixer 1100 clutch system is 1/2", which is standard size for motorcycles I believe (I think they are mostly the same make aswell).

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hugh Jarce

posted on 7/11/04 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
The MC on my gixer 1100 clutch system is 1/2", which is standard size for motorcycles I believe (I think they are mostly the same make aswell).

Adam

I can't think of any M/C clutch master cylinder that isn't 12mm (.4724".
colmaccoll, if you use that (very nice looking) master cylinder, then you will need to alter your pedal ratio to suit. Don't forget to fit a mechanical stop as well, as the bike cylinders have a very small capacity and the fluid from that gert cylinder could displace/cause damage to the slave cylinder.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

locoboy

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
am i right in thinking then that i should just establish how much travel is required to fully open the clutch then fit a mechanical stop?

Does anyone know what sort of thread is most likely to be on the outlet from this type of MC?

ATB
Locoboy

phelpsa

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine definately says 1/2" and it is the same as is used on the cbr1000, hayabusa, older CBR600 and a lot more as they have the same code from the bike shop we bought it from.

Anyway, maybe they changed from 1/2" to 12mm because there is a very small difference

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Adam,

Is that the bar mounted MC your talking about?

ATB
Locoboy

phelpsa

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, we are making a stick mounted setup.

Adam

locoboy

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone used the bar mounted MC with a foot operated pedal?

Pictures would be fantastic!

Also, is it an easy job or is there a kit to convert it to a manual clutch?

ATB
Locoboy

Hugh Jarce

posted on 7/11/04 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Does anyone know what sort of thread is most likely to be on the outlet from this type of MC?

As it's an imperial cylinder, it will be either 3/8" UNF or 7/16" UNF; both sizes are used in imperial cylinders.

quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
Mine definately says 1/2" and it is the same as is used on the cbr1000, hayabusa, older CBR600 and a lot more as they have the same code from the bike shop we bought it from.

Anyway, maybe they changed from 1/2" to 12mm because there is a very small difference

Actually, there are a couple of bikes now using the imperial equivalent bore sizes. Rather odd really; going backwards. They were always traditionally 12mm, 14mm and 16mm.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

Kissy

posted on 8/11/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
CBR1000 Clutch

I have a CBR1000 engined locost, just about to MOT it. I note you say 'stick mounted' I assume by that you will mount on to the gear change lever? I have CBR1000 master cylinder/lever which is your for a small consideration. I fitted a pedal operated clutch (purely because I did not have the bike item at the time), I used a Nissan clutch cylinder, which if anything could do with being larger bore, as I have a fairly long pedal travel. Remember there are differences between a handlebar mounted and pedal clutches,like how much force your foot can generate + the pedal ratio + what is the bore on the slave cylinder?
I'll post some pics soon.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.