Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank sealant
SteveWallace

posted on 4/4/14 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank sealant

In the IVA section you will see that I had my test today and failed on three things. One that I didn't fail on because it wasn't spotted at the time was that the fuel tank has a slight weep from a pin hole in one of the welds (We spotted it whilst changing some of the electrical connectors). I could not have spotted this before today as its the first time that the tank has been full. Clearly it needs to be fixed whether its spotted at the retest or not.

I want to avoid taking the tank out if possible as it will involve taking half the car to bits and then will need to drain it etc. Is there anything I can use to paint over the pinhole to permanently seal it. Its fairly high up so I can siphon fuel out to below the hole. Clearly naked flames etc are out.

adithorp

posted on 4/4/14 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
PetroPatch (if it's still avilable) should work. I've alsodone temporary seal to a leaking sender unit that wasn't as temporary as I first thought and was still there 2 years latter using chemical metal putty (sorry sorgetit's real name).

I'd avoid the paint like stuff you can put inside (used byclassic restorers) or any silicone/PU as they tend to react to fuel.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

daveb666

posted on 4/4/14 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Any good?
http://www.shop4glue.com/fuel-tank-sealer-for-motorcycle-bike-car-lawnmower-petrol-diesel-alcohol-fuel-leaking-repair-rust-612-p.asp

or maybe Chemical Metal (which I believe is fuel resistant)

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Big Stu

posted on 4/4/14 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used tank sealer that you pour into the tank and move about to seal all the welds after I made my tank for the land rover. This worked well for about 4 years until the sealer started to flake off into nice pick pipe sized chunks. Still not resolved this but as a temporary (2 year now) measure I put some wire mesh over the pickup pipe which seems to work well.
pewe

posted on 4/4/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
This one? linky
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

SteveWallace

posted on 4/4/14 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I've drained the tank to below the hole. Other half now has a free half tank of fuel.

I'm going to try quicksteel first as I really don't want to have to remove, drain and vent the tank. Its only a small pin hole where one run of weld ended and another began - only one drip every 10 minutes or so. Should be an easy fix (hopefully)

mark chandler

posted on 4/4/14 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would try penning the metal first with a small hammer.
SPYDER

posted on 4/4/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to solder the hole up? A powerful soldering iron might do the trick. Its less than 400 degrees IIRC. Or would this ignite the fumes in the tank? I doubt it. But try it at your own risk etc..
jollygreengiant

posted on 4/4/14 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing quite as permanent as Gunson's Petro patch. I used it as a sealant on the top of my Aluminium tank where I bolted the steel adaptor plate (cut out of a standard ford tank) to take/fit the standard Ford fuel sender unit. (with a cork gasket as well).

Edit bit £5.99 on Amazon. Other suppliers ARE available.
Linky dinky

[Edited on 4/4/14 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 4/4/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for petropatch if you can find some

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.