Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing broadband provider
SteveWallace

posted on 6/4/14 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Changing broadband provider

I've been with Virgin Media for a few years now for broadband, TV, telephone and e-mail. Whilst their broadband speed and Tivo packages are good, their customer service if anything goes wrong is shocking (note that the individuals, when you can get through to one, try to be as helpful as they can and seem like nice people, so I'm not getting at them).

My Virgin TV anywhere has not been working for a couple of months now such that we cannot use it anywhere. Apparently its a problem with a few accounts and they have been promising to fix it for ages, with deadlines coming and going with nothing happening. When I complained, the response that I got was "well its free anyway, so what's your problem". My response "how you structure your pricing is not my problem, what I see is a promised service that I'm not getting"

I have a real problem with the way that their help system works as it seems designed to avoid you getting to a real person at all costs. As I said, when you do get a real person they are as helpful as they can be but obviously have to toe the party line.

Everyone I know, both for business and leisure know my Virgin account and SWIMBO and daughter also have accounts that are linked to facebook and twitter respectively. All in all a real pain if we have to change accounts, plus the Tivo box is full of recorded programmes that I want to keep.

The real point of this post, as well as just letting off steam, is to ask whether its possible to migrate e-mail addresses if I move provider, in the same way that you do if you switch mobile phone providers.

Also, is there an e-mail address somewhere for someone high up in Virgin Media that I can contact - worked well when I had a problem with Scottish Power (got a letter off them one day saying that they couldn't send me a bill because the didn't have my address!!! and then sent me a letter saying that they would send the bailiffs round if I didn't pay)

Rant Over

stevebubs

posted on 6/4/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
No, you cannot migrate email addresses unless you have your own domain name (e.g. xxx@totallynuts.com and you own totalynuts.com).

I registered my domain name years ago and it allows total portability between mail providers. If you don't want that hassle, I'd just recommend getting a gmail/outlook account and migrating everything there...

chrism

posted on 6/4/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Most services like facebook make it quite easy to change your email address, all you need to do normally is add the new one in and then they will send you an email to the new address to confirm it (They usually will also send one to your old address as a warning that a new one has been added), and then you can remove the old one.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Slimy38

posted on 6/4/14 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Most services like facebook make it quite easy to change your email address, all you need to do normally is add the new one in and then they will send you an email to the new address to confirm it (They usually will also send one to your old address as a warning that a new one has been added), and then you can remove the old one.

Unfortunately other services use the email address as the unique identifier, so if you change your address you're effectively creating a new account.

Personally I've had a yahoo account for as long as I can remember, I pay the annual fee to have a full account. £10 a year I think, and the pleasure of no ads on its own makes it worthwhile.

britishtrident

posted on 6/4/14 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
ISPs used to keep email addresses running in some cases for a anything up to a couple years after you switched provider but those days are gone.

Gmail accounts are portable a reliable but it is now entangled with Google+ which brings too many unwanted complications and privacy issues.

Yahoo mail is also portable but is full of unwanted adds and has a long history of security and reliability issues and is seems to attract massive amounts of spam,

Buying your own domain name is the best option for portability, the mail can then be forwarded to your ISP mailboxes.

LCN have a cheap domain name service, which has good on line control via a web page.
link to LCN

For web TV look at buying a Roku stick.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 6/4/14 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by chrism

Unfortunately other services use the email address as the unique identifier, so if you change your address you're effectively creating a new account.

Personally I've had a yahoo account for as long as I can remember, I pay the annual fee to have a full account. £10 a year I think, and the pleasure of no ads on its own makes it worthwhile.

In the early days of Broadband I had BT as an ISP , then BT did a deal with Yahoo and the mail came through Yahoo servers immediately I was deluged with spam so much that In dumped BT.

10 years on things haven't changed I have clients who use Yahoo and have had email accounts hijacked and used for spamming.
Very recently BT have dumped Yahoo because of this issue see this link Link to. Yahoo dumped by BT story

[Edited on 6/4/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chrism

posted on 6/4/14 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Gmail accounts are portable a reliable but it is now entangled with Google+ which brings too many unwanted complications and privacy issues.

You arent required to have a google+ profile to use gmail so no need to worry about that.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.