Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding helmet lens
Slimy38

posted on 9/4/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Welding helmet lens

Some of you might find this interesting, others may already know. A while back I decided to buy a new lens for my helmet, just the clear one for the front (it's an auto darkening helmet). I thought I'd spend a little more on a glass one, rather than the plastic one that was in there.

Turns out that glass is not a good option for a welding lens, as the spatter sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. The much cheaper plastic is better as it doesn't stick as much. I thought the glass would be better as it would resist melting, turns out I was wrong.

So if anyone wants to replace their helmet lens, go for plastic.

Davey D

posted on 9/4/14 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah you don't want glass for your outer lense.
jacko

posted on 9/4/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
Yeah you don't want glass for your outer lense.

X2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul AS

posted on 9/4/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its all to do with heat dissipation, and its the same with optical lenses in safety specs. Any sort of plastic ( and there are quite a few different materials) is a lot safer in the event of an impact injury, eg a flying lump of metal whilst cutting or grinding. It absorbs the impact by dissipating the energy across the material due to its softer make up. Downside is it scratches far more easily. Good thing is its about half the weight or less.

As glass is much worse at transmitting heat than plastic, when welding spatter hits it, it tends to "stick" due the heat being help very locally and it literally melts a small indentation in the glass.

Plastic however, takes the heat out of the spatter very quickly, due to its greater heat transfer properties, so generally, the particle cools very quickly and falls off before it can bed into the material. Plastic for those in the industry every time!!

Minicooper

posted on 9/4/14 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Every industrial place I have worked in always used glass, since I have used glass for so long I prefer it now, soon I may have to change as I'm down to my last glass now

Maybe I'm to long in the tooth, I bought an auto darkening helmet didn't like that either, gone back to the classic style helmet

David

Paul AS

posted on 9/4/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
To qualify "Industry", I meant the optical industry, as opposed to manufacturing and engineering.
Slimy38

posted on 10/4/14 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I ordered a couple of replacement lenses from Toolstation, plastic this time. They didn't have them in stock but I could have them delivered to my home address with no postage costs, just the £1.37 each....

They arrived this morning, and they've put a catalogue in with the order. So instead of a 40p stamp to post two thin pieces of plastic, they've paid a couple of pounds to send me a catalogue in a jiffy bag.

And businesses say they are struggling...

Peteff

posted on 10/4/14 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I ordered a couple of replacement lenses from Toolstation, plastic this time. They didn't have them in stock but I could have them delivered to my home address with no postage costs, just the £1.37 each....And businesses say they are struggling...

I went to a local welding supplier within walking distance of my house and bought a box with five front covers for the princely sum of £2, the postage was probably easily covered by the profit they made on the lens covers.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.