Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 clocks
cb500t

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
MX5 clocks

Does anyone have a pic or advice on how these fit/look/ease of use/installation or is a pointless project? TIA
Stot

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I used the MX5 clocks but I wouldnt call what I did easy.

1. The clocks are mounted upside down to flow with the shape of the car better.
  2. I made new dials. because they are now upside down.
  3. Speedo mechanism had to be flipped 180 degrees so the ODO is at the top.
  4. Trip meter no longer has a button that way round so I dont have a trip meter.
  5. The tell tales are now 5mm leds. This causes an issue with the brake warning light so the bulb is still installed, but covered.
  6. Surrounds are ebay JDM aluminium clock surrounds with laser cut acrylic glued in.
  7. I put LED lighting strip inside for illumination instead of the regluar bulbs.

Its been a PITA really but I'm chuffed with how it worked out.

Vid of it at night.

I covered most of what I did over on the Haynes forum.

Cheers
Stot

[Edited on 14/4/14 by Stot]

rash12

posted on 14/4/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
clocks

i used them in my sr2 look reasonably good but i struggle with pics on here can email you a pic if you want and if you are using the mx5 loom , engine , gearbox they are already calibrated for iva
BigLee

posted on 14/4/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I used the standard MX5 clocks. Not easy, but much cheaper than buying gauges.

Description
Description

prawnabie

posted on 14/4/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to use the standard clocks on my westy. The Mazda SDV uses a dash that houses the clocks above the screen like in the donor, but you have to cut a chunk out of the scuttle to house which I am not comfortable doing!

I will probably end up doing the same as biglee or first350 in there MNR's. Just need to find some chrome rings that will cover the holes and be okay for IVA!

cb500t

posted on 14/4/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks gents...
Slimy38

posted on 14/4/14 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stot
I used the MX5 clocks but I wouldnt call what I did easy.

1. The clocks are mounted upside down to flow with the shape of the car better.
  2. I made new dials. because they are now upside down.
  3. Speedo mechanism had to be flipped 180 degrees so the ODO is at the top.
  4. Trip meter no longer has a button that way round so I dont have a trip meter.
  5. The tell tales are now 5mm leds. This causes an issue with the brake warning light so the bulb is still installed, but covered.
  6. Surrounds are ebay JDM aluminium clock surrounds with laser cut acrylic glued in.
  7. I put LED lighting strip inside for illumination instead of the regluar bulbs.

Its been a PITA really but I'm chuffed with how it worked out.

Vid of it at night.

I covered most of what I did over on the Haynes forum.

Cheers
Stot

[Edited on 14/4/14 by Stot]

I'd seen that dash on another thread, but had no idea it was made up of MX5 dials. Excellent work there.

scimjim

posted on 14/4/14 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
another option here: http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4750
Slimy38

posted on 15/4/14 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
another option here: http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4750

That looks gorgeous.... until he put the original cowl back on, and it instantly became a posh set of MX5 clocks again.

I know I might be asking for trouble, but has anyone separated the clocks? That flexible PCB doesn't look overly complicated, there's no components or chips on there (if I remember correctly), so I would expect it to be possible to rearrange things? Or at least keep the speedo and rev counter on the PCB and move the other bits?

Stot

posted on 15/4/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
There are some resistors and diodes on there but the circuit has the values on it so nothing too complicated.

Making mounts for the individual guages may be the problem doing that as most of the mounting points are also the contact points.

Cheers
Stot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.