Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old carb filter hole in bonet!
MP3C

posted on 15/4/14 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Old carb filter hole in bonet!

Hi guys,

Got a problem and after weeks of thinking how to do it i have come up blank. I have upgraded the engine in my car over winter and taken the standard carb off and put twin Webers on. This has left me with a nice round hole in the top of my bonnet. Does anybody have a good idea how to hide this or turn the hole into a nice shape and put some aluminum mesh under. I am a bit limited due to it being a Tiger Cat E1 bonnet and there being a nice bulge in the center of the bonnet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Not Anumber

posted on 15/4/14 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
A stainless steel or anodized aluminium plate almost the same size as the hole, held in place by fibreglass matting underneath. Black mastic in the gap.
MP3C

posted on 15/4/14 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
A stainless steel or anodized aluminium plate almost the same size as the hole, held in place by fibreglass matting underneath. Black mastic in the gap.

I had thought of something like that, however I'm still contemplating the idea as it will give the car sort of battle scar effect. I never thought how to secure it in so thanks for that

Matt

daveb666

posted on 15/4/14 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
To turn the hole into a shape simply cut with a dremel or similiar. Once you have the shape, replicate onto some 5mm MDF.

Sit your mesh over the MDF template and hammer down the edges. The mesh should sit flush with the top of the bonnet and not leave a 'cut-edge' showing.

Mount the mesh underneath the hole and attached using sickaflex or similiar,

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

MP3C

posted on 15/4/14 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
To turn the hole into a shape simply cut with a dremel or similiar. Once you have the shape, replicate onto some 5mm MDF.

Sit your mesh over the MDF template and hammer down the edges. The mesh should sit flush with the top of the bonnet and not leave a 'cut-edge' showing.

Mount the mesh underneath the hole and attached using sickaflex or similiar,

Like the idea of that! I would like a design mirrored on the opposite side as well to make it sort of uniform. However this is the point at where I am stuck... trying to design something from a circle. I am a building surveyor so my artistic side is somewhat lacking

Like the idea with the MDF though!

Matt

19sac65

posted on 15/4/14 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do tear drop like the nostrils on fw westfields
Or can you fit a scoop
Failing that fill the hole and carbon wrap the bonnet so you dont have the hassle of colour match

gremlin1234

posted on 15/4/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
use the old k&n filter top as the plate

rusty nuts

posted on 15/4/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Had the same problem , ended up using some fibre glass matting and a very light skim of body filler before respraying the bonnet . still good after 7 years
snippy

posted on 15/4/14 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem on a Westfield V8 when I removed the twin SU carbs and replaced them with a single central Edelbrock set up. It left me with 2 holes in the bonnet. I fibreglassed some black mesh on the under side and it looked great. A vent hole on your bonnet isn't a bad thing, it would help disperse some of the heat. Engine bays in these cars can get quite hot!
MP3C

posted on 16/4/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome, cheers for the replies guys, gives me some more ideas to play with! I will get down to the garage to measure up soonish and i will keep you all posted and show you the outcome

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.