Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi, I'm thinking of building a kit car..
Hallsonlineservices

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I'm thinking of building a kit car..

Ok I'm in the research phase of building a kit car, I have a lot of the do or parts already for a Sierra, 4 x hubs, driveshafts, LSD differential and propshaft, steering column and associated gear, 2.0 Dohc engine, mt75 gearbox and propshaft etc..

I know the engine and gearbox are not the most favoured, but I have them Spare and in the true spirit of locost that's what I'm going to use..

I have the Haynes roadster book, and so will be building to that
Spec but do I need
To make any changes to the chassis to take this engine? Also I'm 6' 3 so will I fit in a stock build chassis?

Thanks in advance for any help

HowardB

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome,

the best way to find out if you fit is to go along to a show and try to sit in some. Stoneleigh Kit Car Show is soon.

Also if you add a location to your profile you may find someone local enough that you can pop and see,...

oh and good luck, just don't expect to do it for the £250!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

jossey

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it.

That said the feeling when you drive a super car speed car that you built in your garage is amazing.

Bit of advice if your over 6ft tall don't buy a tiger chassis.

If your building your own work with BMW running gear rather than the sierra as they are getting on a bit.

Oh and car engine or bike engine.......

I have a bike engine in mine but wish I had a car engine one but the grass is always greener etc

Get your self to a track day near you and ask kindly for a passenger ride till you find a car you like. I bought the tiger as it's light and good for road and track. Down side is I'm 6ft3 and I don't really fit

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hallsonlineservices

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
Welcome,

the best way to find out if you fit is to go along to a show and try to sit in some. Stoneleigh Kit Car Show is soon.

Also if you add a location to your profile you may find someone local enough that you can pop and see,...

oh and good luck, just don't expect to do it for the £250!

If I could do it for £250 I'd be over the moon, but there is no hope of that!

My first set is to decide on the chassis and then get started, I anticipate the chassis being completed towards end of 2016.. With the car completed within 2 years of this milestone

Although timescales will most likely slip

Hallsonlineservices

posted on 23/4/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Don't do it.

That said the feeling when you drive a super car speed car that you built in your garage is amazing.

Bit of advice if your over 6ft tall don't buy a tiger chassis.

If your building your own work with BMW running gear rather than the sierra as they are getting on a bit.

Oh and car engine or bike engine.......

I have a bike engine in mine but wish I had a car engine one but the grass is always greener etc

Get your self to a track day near you and ask kindly for a passenger ride till you find a car you like. I bought the tiger as it's light and good for road and track. Down side is I'm 6ft3 and I don't really fit

I already have the running gear that's had new bearings etc within 12 months, engine I see as a chop and change so going bmw route is not something that interests me if I'm honest, love the old sierras (have 4 of them at the min) so I know there weaknesses for rust and despite its reputation, the Dohc is a very good strong engine if well maintained..

skov

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with the engine and running gear, especially if you already have it!
Not sure about the engine, but you'll need to modify the chassis slightly for the MT75 gearbox (can't remember if the details are in the book or not).

It's going to be tight, but you should just about fit in one with careful seat choice. The Haynes is quite big as 7's go.
Trying to find one you can sit in before you start building is probably a good idea though.

Have you joined the Haynes Forum yet?

ali f27

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
See if you can get scorpio 2.3 delt the balance shafts itbs and 200 bhp dont and it was great engine
twybrow

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I am 6' 6" and I fit in a Stuart Taylor which is smaller than the Sierra based chassis tend to be. I found floor mounted pedals, and a well chosen well placed seat counts for a lot, as does a small steering wheel and an adjustable column. Heading to Stoneleigh is a very good idea for both trying lots of cars for fit, and also many of the manufacturers do show discounts, so if you can make a decision,you may get a bargain.

Good luck with the decision making and build!

adithorp

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum... from another member in Hyde. As far as I know that makes 4 Hyde members. I've not a lot of Haynes specific knowledge as I built a Fury but you'r welcome to call and see me at work in Stalybridge to pick what brains I have and look over the car.

There's nothing wrong with the Sierra running gear (OK the front hubs and diff could be lighter) and the only reason it's going out of fashion is that Sierras are getting a bit thin on the ground in scrap yards. The DOHC doesn't have a great power to weight but should get you on the road easy enough, especially as it's probably pre'95 so will avoid a cat' being required for IVA.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hallsonlineservices

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Welcome to the forum... from another member in Hyde. As far as I know that makes 4 Hyde members. I've not a lot of Haynes specific knowledge as I built a Fury but you'r welcome to call and see me at work in Stalybridge to pick what brains I have and look over the car.

There's nothing wrong with the Sierra running gear (OK the front hubs and diff could be lighter) and the only reason it's going out of fashion is that Sierras are getting a bit thin on the ground in scrap yards. The DOHC doesn't have a great power to weight but should get you on the road easy enough, especially as it's probably pre'95 so will avoid a cat' being required for IVA.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes.. Today is the first day I've committed mentally to building one, and here is the first place I found with like minded people.

I would love to have a look over your car, I'm in the unusual position car building wise of having the running gear before I start and so am finding a chassis to match the oily bits rather than the other way round

Your right with regard to no cats, engine I have is from a 1990 car

adithorp

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent with my work address/details.

adithorp

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
..and as Howard said, try and get to Stoneleigh show. You'll get loads of ideas, inspiration and with a bit of cheek you should be able to try a few cars for size.

snapper

posted on 24/4/14 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
4 years is the build time I achieved and it was this that made the build easier in financial terms as I could spread the load
Having 4 Christmases and 4 birthdays in this period helped

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Hallsonlineservices

posted on 27/4/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
4 years is the build time I achieved and it was this that made the build easier in financial terms as I could spread the load
Having 4 Christmases and 4 birthdays in this period helped

That's what I'm thinking, if I told my wife I'm going to drop 4-8k on a car she would call me crazy as we don't have that sort off spare money..

Then if I told her it was still unbuilt pile of scrap she'd throw me in the looney bin, I see it as 12 months prep for the chassis build, giving me time to complete a couple of my projects to the point they can drive and go into lockup garages giving me build space, and also time to ensure I can get the old Sierra parts reconditioned to like new condition

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.