Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gsxr gear position sensor
Rogthebandit

posted on 23/4/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Gsxr gear position sensor

Hi

I have an Mk with a k6 engine. I have a fault somewhere but am not scratching the head a little. I noticed that the 2nd stage injectors were not coming in at the upper revs and about the same time when the revs increased, the butterfly flaps start to close. I have found that if you disconnect the gps that it works at full power with 2nd stage injectors and flaps operating as you would expect. That down side is no display on the clocks. Has anyone else had this or can you think of any reason why this is happening ?

Cheers
Rog

[Edited on 23/4/14 by Rogthebandit]

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Don't some of these bike limit power in the lower gears to stop the bike flipping you?

Like this. http://www.psychobike.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2206.html
Which suggests you only get secondary injectors functioning in gears 4,5 and 6.

Rogthebandit

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Don't some of these bike limit power in the lower gears to stop the bike flipping you?

Like this. http://www.psychobike.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2206.html
Which suggests you only get secondary injectors functioning in gears 4,5 and 6.

----------

I'm not sure. When the gps is connected thou it has limited power in all gears. Disconnecting it I believe tells the ecu that it's in 6th gear all the time. I've checked the gps voltage in each gear and it's about 5volts. The books says >0.8 volts.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/4/14 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I don't know much more about those engines.
Rogthebandit

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Sorry I don't know much more about those engines.

No worries Matt, I'm sure I will sus it one day. It's still usable and will be going round the tracks soon ;-)

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/4/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
This is 'normal' behaviour for the lower gears (and extended in neutral) in no-fault condition, abnormal for the higher gears in no-fault condition. You'll (hopefully and normally) get an error code for any serious fault that the ECU may be imposing a limit for. 6th gear by the way, imposes an ECU limit based on RPM and speed. It'll knock the RPM down a further notch in 6th if it can't see a speed sensor (error code). It won't throw an error code, but will limit things in the way you describe, if there's no clutch/sidestand interlock interaction in the start up phase.
fimi7

posted on 25/4/14 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
I know what I am proposing is not a cheap solution, but I have a K8. Had issues with fueling a few months ago and for the life of me could not figure it out. Ended up being something simple, but without being able to see whats happening, or rather seeing what the ECU is seeing, it gets difficult to guess.

With all that said, I go the Woolrich Racing ecu kit and now I can log whats happening, or watch it realtime. Not only that, now I can tune it to match what I want etc etc.

Might not resolve your problem, but it can definitely tell you whats happening. In my opinion, worth every dime.

--- Ali

Rogthebandit

posted on 25/4/14 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
This is 'normal' behaviour for the lower gears (and extended in neutral) in no-fault condition, abnormal for the higher gears in no-fault condition. You'll (hopefully and normally) get an error code for any serious fault that the ECU may be imposing a limit for. 6th gear by the way, imposes an ECU limit based on RPM and speed. It'll knock the RPM down a further notch in 6th if it can't see a speed sensor (error code). It won't throw an error code, but will limit things in the way you describe, if there's no clutch/sidestand interlock interaction in the start up phase.

-------

I hadn't thought about the side stand switch! I have the clutch switch wired via a limit switch on the brake. The clutch switch is basically in the stand up position. I went out for a drive last night and operated the side stand switch but it was still the same. Just wondering if I'm am doing things the right way with regards to you mentioning the start up phase. Is there a sequence ?

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/4/14 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fimi7
I know what I am proposing is not a cheap solution, but I have a K8. Had issues with fueling a few months ago and for the life of me could not figure it out. Ended up being something simple, but without being able to see whats happening, or rather seeing what the ECU is seeing, it gets difficult to guess.

With all that said, I go the Woolrich Racing ecu kit and now I can log whats happening, or watch it realtime. Not only that, now I can tune it to match what I want etc etc.

Might not resolve your problem, but it can definitely tell you whats happening. In my opinion, worth every dime.

If you want to go down this route then lots of information on http://ecuhacking.activeboard.com/ not clear to me that you have to spend quite as much money if you want to go the locost route you might be able to put a cable together yourself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.