Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Real 0-60 times
Mr Mackey

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Real 0-60 times

Hi all.been in a couple of mach#1s and was wondering what the 0-60 time is with the zx10 engine in?an owner I know says 3 seconds which I'm unsure of as it didn't feel that quick.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
4.5secs or 5.0 secs
Mr Mackey

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Really?so nowhere near 3 seconds then?
mark chandler

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Around 4 seconds if it has slicks and LSD fitted, 3 sounds like beer talk.
daniel mason

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
3 seconds? was it turbo'd
depends on diff,wheel size,tyre,compound, weight of car,weight of driver, tarmac quality etc etc. there are many variables but I can safely say not 3 seconds.probably 4.5 - 5 secs in the real world!

Mr Mackey

posted on 23/4/14 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quick replies and the honesty.when I went in the zx10 I wasn't impressed at all with the acceleration.it handled well and braking was good but I just couldn't believe the owners claims of being a 3 second car.he says that he "will waste Ferraris and lambos" which I just couldn't believe.
alfiebeard

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
When I got mine it had been data logged @ 3.6 secs 0.60mph I have tried and cant get it down below 4 secs as I cant change gear fast enough I keep hitting the rev limiter set @ 7800rpm lol, and mine has over 320 bhp and fairly low gearing.

but it still feels like its ripping your face off

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

Mr Mackey

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
320bhp!!!!!! Wow is it turbocharged?
alfiebeard

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Mackey

No just an BMW E36 M3 EVO remapped and decatted .

Alfie

me!

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think he's running an M3 engine- no need for a turbo!

Mr Mackey

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I see.will weigh a bit more than a bike engined mach#1 though right?
Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for the quick replies and the honesty. he says that he "will waste Ferraris and lambos" which I just couldn't believe.

That part is actually factualy correct, a BEC will "waste" the majority of Ferraris for example are well over 4 seconds to 60.

jeffw

posted on 23/4/14 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can get down to 3.3-3.5 to 60 and under 7 secs to 100. But it isn't a BEC.

bi22le

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
The difference in a BEC with and without a passenger is unreal.

with my old car (GSXR1000 K4 so basically the same) I got fed up saying to mates "trust me, its a lot faster with just me!"

It would whack any supercar to 60.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

alfiebeard

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I see.will weigh a bit more than a bike engined mach#1 though right?

SAM_68 beat me too it.

Weight does play a big part, but as the BMW EVO weighs around 1.6 tons and will do 0.60 in around 5 secs and that's with a clutch delay valve fitted (slows the clutch action down to stop drivetrain damage) and according to the Beemer Forums will go on to 165mph in 5th gear with the speed limiter removed, so you can imagine how quick it feels in a lightweight Viento after being remapped and de-catted etc,.

it feels just the same acceleration with my 16 stone mate in the passenger seat, there is no substitute for raw power, I suppose there will be BEC that will be sub 4 secs to 60mph but will top out around 120mph my car has lower gearing than a standard M3 but as it doesn't have a speed limiter on it I bottled out at 140mph and it was still pulling like a steamtrain.

I did test drive a MK with a Fireblade engine fitted but it really didn't float my boat it needed hammered to produce good power, but its horses for courses I love bikes and my last thrilling ride was my old Hayabusa RY Trike which went like poo of a shovel but it used as much fuel if not more than my Viento.

Just my opinion which is worth F all.

Alfie

[Edited on 23/4/14 by alfiebeard]

Sam_68

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
That part is actually factualy correct, a BEC will "waste" the majority of Ferraris for example are well over 4 seconds to 60.

But then in reality (as opposed to when their owners are advertising them for sale, bragging down the pub or pissing up people's backs on internet forums), so are the majority of BECs.

...and where the Ferrari is just starting to get into its stride, the BEC will be taking bets on which it will hit first: the rev limiter or an aerodynamic brick wall.

A man can outsprint a horse for the first few yards from a standing start (true, honestly: it takes a horse a few moments to get all four legs sorted out and build up some momentum), and can easily out-corner a horse at any speed, but I'd recommend against entering yourself for the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

OP: I note that you say you've 'been in' a couple of MAC#1's? Does that means you've been passengered in them?

To be fair to BECs (and as Bi22le says), you need to remember that your extra 90 kilos (or whatever) in the passenger seat has a big effect on the power:weight ratio of such lightweight cars. If you drive them, you'll find that there's really quite a noticeable difference in both handling and acceleration when you've got a passenger beside you. They feel a bit like they've had six pints of beer and are the lookout for a kebab, when you've got that extra weight on board.

But still... even one-up, while they're quick away from the lights, the laws of physics (specifically those to do with aerodynamic drag) always mean that the acceleration of cars that have a high power:weight ratio because they don't have much weight tails off much sooner than cars that have a high power:weight ratio because they're very powerful.

rodgling

posted on 23/4/14 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that M3 powered 7's are very quick :-)
Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/14 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sam, the question was 0-60 not top speed, I'm not pissing up anyone's back either, in the pub or thinking of selling but thanks all the same.

IMHO for what it's worth most BECs on decent rubber should be able to attain nearer to 4 than 5 seconds to reach 60 especially if measured in the most favrable conditions possible as I'm sure Ferrari for example do, according to my digidash I can dip under 4 seconds consitantly on road legal but nicely warmed up 888's, never tried it on slicks value my drivetrain to much with all that BEC grunt it would ripp the back axle out

snapper

posted on 24/4/14 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
Torque not horsepower is the advantage in 0-60 0-100 games
and highlights the BEC CEC differences

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mcerd1

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Torque not horsepower is the advantage in 0-60 0-100 games
and highlights the BEC CEC differences

but it is a balance of torque, grip and weight...

most BEC's don't have enough weight on the rear wheels to get the grip they need off the line

some of the 4x4 cars are better, but at the cost of a lot of extra weight which hurts them in the corners

and even if you find the perfect balance of those 3 the wrong gearing will add seconds to the time

and if you manage to get everything perfect for your 0-60 run, then your bound to have compromised on other aspects of the cars performance / handling..

this is now 12 years out of date but gives some interesting back to back results:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/2716549/Gone-in-3.1-seconds.html

I say just go with the one you like best and don't worry about the headline figures

[Edited on 24/4/2014 by mcerd1]

-

amalyos

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to do 0-60, 0-100, get a drag car!!!

It's all about the corners

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

alfiebeard

posted on 24/4/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh and if you really want to do corners get a go Kart

Its all about power.

Alfie

[Edited on 24/4/14 by alfiebeard]

Mr Mackey

posted on 27/4/14 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replys.went out again in the zx10.still the acceleration felt tame.my friend has a 400 bhp impreza and even when the massive weight difference is seems much quicker.i must say through the twistys the zx10 was quick I'm still unsure which way to go.a mach#1 or something like impreza/Evo/gtr.

[Edited on 27/4/14 by Mr Mackey]

Sam_68

posted on 27/4/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
The Scooby will be quicker off the line because it has 4WD and much better traction.

It will be much quicker in the upper speed ranges, because it has more outright power (as opposed to power:weight ratio), hence there will be more power left over for acceleration once you've subtracted the rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. Aerodynamic drag goes up exponentially in proportion to speed, so this becomes very noticeable as speeds rise.

There may be a narrow band between the BEC establishing decent traction and the aero drag starting to absorb a high proportion of its available horsepower where the BEC might have an advantage.

But if kick-in-the-pants acceleration at decent (motorway/A-road) speeds is your thing, then the BEC's not going to do it for you: they're more about precise and inertia-free handling and carrying the momentum than monster top-end performance.

Sevens in general, and BEC's in particular, are very much a one-trick pony. Don't get me wrong; it's a good trick, but if it's not what you're after, then they're the wrong car for you.

franky

posted on 27/4/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you want a nicely built CEC.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.