Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR 1000RR pros and cons?
clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
CBR 1000RR pros and cons?

Feels good to be back on this forum after a loooooonngggg dry period of car abstention.

So anyways ... my heart says hayabusa but my pocket says no ( although it has no say in all this LOL) and a particular kit manufacturer has advised me into looking into the 1000RR engine. Therefor I get quite a few questions popping into my head. I know it will be cheaper but ....

a) will the engine/gearbox be ok for hillclimb/road use?
b) are upgrade parts readily available?
c) the bhp figures seem nice, but what of the torque?

In short ... is the Busa worth the extra money? I have spent so much time researching the Suzuki engine in the past, but I am totally in dark when it comes to the Honda engine.

mrnoluck

posted on 24/4/14 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, to me the down side of the Hayabusa is the weight its a lot heavier than the CBR1000, also they do have gearbox issues when used in competition, I personally would go for a CBR1000 the later the better dependant on funds.
clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Oh! I wasn't aware that the honda lump was that much lighter. Is the stock clutch assembly ok? I don't expect it to last me a lifetime but I don't want issues every couple of outings.
Thanks

mrnoluck

posted on 24/4/14 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
In the early CBR900RR I have always used uprated spring for competition use (I think they are Barnett springs), I believe its the same for the newer CBR1000. Also the latest CBR1000 have a slipper clutch as standard which can really help in the wet.

I am looking at changing to the CBR100RR for next season, I have a low mileage 2005 CBR1000RR engine but I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a 2008-2009 or later engine as the power output is better.

clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for your replies!
amalyos

posted on 24/4/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've run 3 seasons on my 08 CBR1000RR in RGB, and only put a new clutch in last season. I've put a fresher engine in for this year, but last years is still ok, just burns a little more oil, and is a little down on power.
Like any engine you need to look after it, don't cook it and change the oil regularly.

You don't need to dry sump it like the Busa or GSXR, and it comes with a slipper clutch which is great.

If you want cheap overall package then go for a CBR1000RR, but get a post 2010 engine, as 08-09s are becoming expensive as we use them in RGB.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Amalyos. Excuse my ignorance, but what's a slipper clutch?
mrnoluck

posted on 24/4/14 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, a slipper clutch was introduced on a bike so if you change down to soon in damp conditions it stops the back wheel locking up, this also works in a car set up.
amalyos

posted on 24/4/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
On the bike it means you can drop a gear without fear of the back wheel locking, which is a help to the longevity of the drive train when put in the car, as you can't use the engine to brake, as the clutch slips.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
This is quite interesting. I need to get cracking on some research on this engine then. Cheers.
scootz

posted on 24/4/14 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Speak to Andy Bates at AB Performance. He favours the Honda engines in his race cars.

It's Evolution Baby!

clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Scootz, yeah I was with him on the phone about other stuff

This 1000RR engine is looking more enticing by the minute, just need to check how hard it is to get it to run on a megasquirt.

matt_gsxr

posted on 24/4/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clutch_kick

This 1000RR engine is looking more enticing by the minute, just need to check how hard it is to get it to run on a megasquirt.

Why squirt it? the standard ECU with a power commander will do a much better job.
I am a big fan of megasquirt but these modern stock ECU's are so clever.

clutch_kick

posted on 24/4/14 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
quote:
Originally posted by clutch_kick

Why squirt it? the standard ECU with a power commander will do a much better job.
I am a big fan of megasquirt but these modern stock ECU's are so clever.

My friend who will be helping me out in the build is pretty handy with Megasquirt. I might need the facility to play around with maps to SVA it over here, and get a low-ish emissions reading (i'll be paying my road tax and registration costs on this ). I won't discount the powercommander, but the megasuirt has ample future upgrading capacity in it

beaver34

posted on 25/4/14 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
just my opinion, if you had any chance of using the OEM ecu i would with out a doubt, in comparison what ever you will achieve with megasquirt will never be as good as the OEM mapping

i would rethink your plan, unless there is limitation in the stock ecu that stops you changing certain parameters

clutch_kick

posted on 25/4/14 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm yes as I said, I won't discount the oem ecu. It seems that the latter engines run 8 injectors. That's good enough reason to consider the powercomander option :-)
evonigel

posted on 30/4/14 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
so taking the price difference to one side.Which is the better of the two engines for bhp and torque??
stumpyfella

posted on 9/7/14 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
HI , I have a 1000rr blade engine in a hillman imp with a power commander and it runs fantastic , the engine is tiny compared to the busa lump you can pick the engine up and carry it rather than a hoist for the big busa lump , the blade is quite quite tall because of the second set of injectors in the air box
get the spanners out and get building !!

metro6r4

posted on 18/7/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
this post has been really handy as I have begun looking into engine swaps in the near future. Originally I planned on putting in a
and I have a few decent spec busa lump but I am now considering the Honda instead for various reasons. Are there many tuning parts about for them? Are they easy to work on ? And are there any particular weak spots to look out for ?

Dopdog

posted on 18/7/14 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
is there any way to get over the hight of the engine as with the 8 injectors it does stick out of the bonnet a lot?
danny84

posted on 10/8/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine has a mac#1 with a 1000rr engine with 8 injectors.The air box is a custom made aluminium jobby with a ram air filter from a naca duct in the nose cone.The extra 4 injectors sit on the airbox with the fuel rail.Nice clean compact system.Not cheap though!!!!!
sam919

posted on 11/8/14 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
It would be good to see how he's done this, he could probably sell the pattern as well as the height is an issue.
danny84

posted on 11/8/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try to get a few photos and measurements.Can I upload straight from my I phone/pad??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.