Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running an M52 engine vertical
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 27/4/14 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Running an M52 engine vertical

As space in my engine bay is at something of a premium due to the fact I'm using a BMW M52 lump, I was wondering if it was run so that the block was vertical as opposed to at it's slanted angle, what would the repercussions be? Would I end up with oil drainage issues? This would free up some much needed space on the drivers side and help centralise weight distribution - it would also cock up gear shifter location and gearbox mounts, but that is manageable.
Hopefully someone in the vast knowledge base of this forum can advise me if this is just a diabolical idea or not

[Edited on 27/4/14 by Badger_McLetcher]

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Nickp

posted on 27/4/14 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me and will likely create oil pick-up / drainage issues as you say. It's also goig to make it incredibly high and I doubt you'll see over it
What issues are you having? I've had the M52 sat in my Haynes chassis OK. Yes it's tight but it all looks do-able.

SteveWallace

posted on 27/4/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
As you say, I would have thought that oil pick up and drainage would be an issue. Pick up could probably be sorted, but I would imagine that drainage back to the sump might be more of an issue. You would also either be making the lowest point of the sump too low or making the top of the engine too high as the sump is designed to have a flat bottom with the engine tilted to the correct angle.

I got my engine in by cutting a bit off the side of the sump, in that way crank shaft is about an inch to the left of the centre line of the car - every little helps and you need an angle on the prop shaft anyway.

modified sump 1
modified sump 1

modified sump on engine
modified sump on engine

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 27/4/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys
Nick: I hadn't thought about the height - that would be a bit of a bonnet bulge! I'm not having any issues in particular, it's just going to get awfully cosy with the steering column, brake cylinder, clutch cylinder and exhausts wanting to occupy that side of the engine.
Steve: I was considering making my own sump, I've currently got a butchered original sitting in place. Your solution looks very interesting, but is it not still rather low? I'm trying to make sure things don't go below my chassis rails, the only exception being the lower part of the bell housing.

I've been playing around with the idea of making a dry sump system for it, but haven't gotten that far yet! I want to get the steering, suspension and brakes sorted before I get started on the engine systems.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Nickp

posted on 27/4/14 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
You're exhaust may need to go up or out rather than down. The std manifolds bolt on pointing upwards and will poke out of the side of the bonnet if reqd
SteveWallace

posted on 27/4/14 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
... it not still rather low? I'm trying to make sure things don't go below my chassis rails, the only exception being the lower part of the bell housing.

I've been playing around with the idea of making a dry sump system for it, but haven't gotten that far yet! I want to get the steering, suspension and brakes sorted before I get started on the engine systems.

It does sit a little bit below the chassis rails, by about an inch, which isn't ideal but I've seen plenty of other engines like that. I did end up with a little bit of space between the underneath of the bonnet and the top of the engine, so I suppose that I could have raised it a bit (but not by the full inch).

I was worried about how I was going to get the exhaust manifolds to miss the steering column, but in the end, it wasn't a problem:

Description
Description

Of course, my Viento has a bigger engine bay than most, so I had more room to play with.

BTW I also had to extend the gear lever back a bit to avoid it hitting the dashboard in 1st, 3rd and 5th.

MBrown

posted on 28/5/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi again ppl, putting the same 2.8 bmw engine in and was just wondering what the height is of the bonnet above the chassis? I am looking to get one from equinox or similar but just so I can work out where to place the engine. I have seen Steve Wallaces adaptation to the sump and will be looking to do the same alteration.

Many thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.