Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Online car taxing muppetry
chrisxr2

posted on 30/4/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Online car taxing muppetry

Right its 2216 at night, just taxing the haynes roadster after it flying through its mot the other day, except i am not becuase the online system wants me to buy a disk that covers the whole of April with it starting on the 1st of April. Now at the post office you can tax it a couple of days in advance for the coming month but unless you have a laser copy of your insurance (All my documentation is done on line) thay are a law unto themselves with accepting documentation etc, so looks like i will have to wait till the morning. God knows how they will cope when its all done online.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
The online system works on the basis of continuous tax, so it's actually going back to when the car was last taxed. If you tax it from the beginning of May, it's going to trigger alarm bells and they may want to know why it wasn't taxed for April.

I paid for my tax online on the 15th of this month, to start at the beginning of May.

[Edited on 30/4/14 by Slimy38]

Paul W

posted on 30/4/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
did mine online other day, it was on sorn, I too thought I had to do it from 1st April, but clicked onto nextpage & was given a choice of !st april or 1st May
chrism

posted on 1/5/14 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think you need to show insurance at the post office anymore as its all computerised, or they dont bother checking it any more just relying on the continuous insurance tax law thing in place now.

[Edited on 1/5/14 by chrism]

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

19sac65

posted on 1/5/14 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same
My downloaded insurance certificate looks dodgy so i thought ide do it online to save an arguement at the post office
Entered v5 no and it wanted me to go from beginning of april,although its been on sorn throughout winter
It asked to confirm everything was correect so i clicked no
It then cancelled the whole app !!!
15 mins later i had one from the post office,didnt ask for ins or mot

CosKev3

posted on 1/5/14 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
It's due to SORN and tax running month to month, some people that tax there car few days early at PO off SORN would then use the car in the last few days of April,risking not getting sprung by a ANPR camera as the car is officially SORN till start of May when tax disc starts.
snippy

posted on 1/5/14 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Well I`ve just taxed the Jago on line and it said car not licensed since 1993! It has been in a barn for 20 years and I`ve just spent 12 months restoring it. I went through the process and taxed it ok. I SORN`d the car last year when I bought it (have e-mail to prove) but it was showing as no SORN and no licence for 20 years? The on line system as good as it is, is not always accurate!
Nick

coozer

posted on 1/5/14 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I tried to tax dobbie online couple times last week, it kept refusing my card at the visa check page, went up the post office with the renewal form, the cash and the MOT.

She never looked at the mot, said it wasn't required and that was that.

That's the last time as it all goes disc less later this year, I wonder how that will work out....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mcerd1

posted on 1/5/14 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
Well I`ve just taxed the Jago on line and it said car not licensed since 1993! It has been in a barn for 20 years and I`ve just spent 12 months restoring it. I went through the process and taxed it ok. I SORN`d the car last year when I bought it (have e-mail to prove) but it was showing as no SORN and no licence for 20 years? The on line system as good as it is, is not always accurate!
Nick

I sent a paper SORN form off with my scimitar's V5 when I got it in 2005 (off the road since 1984)

it appeared to accept the SORN, but when I tried to renew it the next year it wouldn't accept it - I eventually got through to someone who told me that the computer couldn't accept the SORN as it was off the road before the SORN system started so despite the change of owner they couldn't SORN it on the computer
(I'd previously been told something totally different by the DVLA)

-

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.