Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice about going to Le Mans
Rosco

posted on 10/5/14 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Advice about going to Le Mans

I thinking of taking my Son to LeMans to celebrate the end of his GCSEs but have never been before so looking for advice; e.g. what type of tickets to get, where to stay (camping sound fun but where), best routes to get there, likley total cost, any other advice.

Thanks

b3ngy

posted on 10/5/14 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
We use 1st tickets for general admission tickets and camping. There are plenty of other sites as well.

The general admission ticket is about 70 ish euros

Camping depends on which site you want to stay (the popular ones will be sold out now i suspect, maison blanc etc) and how many people in the party as camping pitches are purchased as plots(7x5m) iirc.

Have a search for le mans campsites in Google images. Some are a bit further out than others. Just depends where you want to be and how much you want to spend. I'm staying in blue Nord which is outside the circuit but takes literally 5 mins to walk. you end up entering the circuit between the bottom Porsche curves and and pit entrance.

I live 15mins away from Portsmouth so always take a Brittany ferry to either cean or st malo, and usually on a night crossing. The drive is then approx 100 miles each way through France. Obviously there are many other crossings you do, just depends what suits you best.

Total cost for ferry/camping/tickets for me this year is about £280. Could be a bit less but I have a cabin booked on the ferry as its a night crossing. Obviously up to you how much extra money you will need for beer/food/t-shirts etc.

HTH Ben

gremlin1234

posted on 10/5/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
be prepaid for very hot sun, and a deluge of rain (even within 5 mins of each other!)
ps use 6inch nails for tent pegs, anything less will bend

BryanC

posted on 10/5/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
A brilliant treat for your son.
I'm crossing Newhaven Dieppe which is far cheaper than Brittany ferries but the drive to LM is a bit longer. But who objects to driving in France ?
General Admission 70Euros, buy your ticket was soon as you get there, will get you to most places and covers night practices leading upto the big race and circuit entry on Friday to stroll the pits.
Been going since '99 and never had the need to get a grandstand. My favourites are Mulsanne Corner, and Arnage from which you can walk upto Indianapolis Thats where the action takes place.
The only time you need go in the circuit (IMHO) is to get a T shirt and do the pit walk on Friday
Take an FM radio to catch the Radio Le Mans broadcast and plenty of batteries.
I camp at a Municipal site about 6K south of Mulsanne, cheap, clean and never need to book.
Free shuttle bus to various points around the circuit.
Things to take - your own collapsible seat. Its a long race....and plenty of bog rolls unless you intend to avoid those red merguez hot dogs. I do the hot dogs and take the T roll option !
Once bitten you will return.
Fingers crossed for a hot one this year.
Stay Cool.....

steve m

posted on 10/5/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
As said above, take

sun cream
umbrella
waterproofs

enjoy it,

the weather is very unpredictable
plus its bloody sandy !

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ianm67

posted on 11/5/14 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Taking my lad to the Classic this year as a reward for him finishing his exams. Done the 'main' race in June about 6 times but this is my first time for the Classic. Just take some euros, ibuprofen, ear plugs and a good sense of humour and you'll be fine.....

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.