Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ex Elden BEC for sale
number-1

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ex Elden BEC for sale

Reluctantly Ive decided to sell my pride and joy. Its a truly one off car and is like noting else i have ever seen. Its a BEC with rear engine. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many hours of work and money have gone into making this. The reason im selling is simple. Im too tall for it. I could get the roll bar raised but it will change the look of the car which I promised the last owner I wouldn't do. Im 6ft1 so this car would suit someone smaler than 5ft11

The history of the car is impressive. It was born in 1974 by a racing car firm called Elden Racing cars. Its model number was PRH11. Ive been in contact with Elden who have confirmed it is indeed one of their cars albeit modified from original. They want to come and see the car at some point as they are making a road legal 2 seater (Not sure if that part is a secret or not?) It was made a sports 2000 racer rather than a single seater. Elden is a British motor sport company invloved in the design (under the brand Design Formula) and manufacture of racing cars. Its history is mainly in Formula Ford but they also produced Formula 3, Formula 4, Formula 2000 and Formula Renault.
The history from this point on is pretty much a mystery and there is little in the way of documentation. We know it was used as a hillclimb car and was very successfull. The chassis was kept as it was built but the body was changed to accommodate a hillman imp shell. It was raced in the Castle Combe special GT championships for a firm called Mobile Windscreens. The last known racing of the car was documented on the MSA RAC competition log book in 1999 when it was being raced as an Elden Stiletto GT hillclimb and sprint car. I have the MSA RAC log book still. It was using the Imp body kit when in 1996 a guy called Bob, from conceptracing.co.uk brought it. He removed the Imp body and set about changing the chassis. He widened it and hand made the fantastic, one off aluminum bodywork. Quiet a bit of it is documented on the concept racing web site http://www.conceptracing.co.uk/other-projects/ In its time its had a Porsche engine in the back but now has a GSXR 1100 WP water cooled engine in the back. I brought the car as a non runner. Since then I have spent a fair bit of my blood, sweat, tears and money on it! The car was taken to Ex British Superbike racer Dave wood racing in Aylesbury for the engine issues. Dave raced GSXRs and knows them inside out. While he was doing it he put a new clutch, oil, filter etc in.

Now that I had it running the next issue was noise. The end can it had on was a race end can and would never pass any static test. I put a temporary ZX10 end can on. The seat it came with was for a 5 ft 5 thin person so I replaced it with a Kirkey racing seat. I fitted a lifeline fire extinguisher and took it out for its first track day........with slicks on!! Brands was wet! The exhaust passed static and drive by noise tests so I left it as it was. As It was wet, I spun! It dried in the afternoon so I went back out but the carbs and exhaust came loose so I called it a day

Next up was Bedford Autodrome. I wasnt happy with slicks so brought a set of miniltes with yokohama tyres on. They dont fill the arches like the Gotti rims but they are good in the damp. Again they are strict with noise but the exhaust passed with ease. The track day was a success. The only down side was the exhaust worked loose again towards the end of the day. It was up against a Tiger avon race car at Bedford and it was miles ahead. It was outbraking 911 turbos and was out accelerating them up to around 80mph!! Its a quick little car with potential in the right hands. On a shorter circuit it would lead the pack! Top end isnt much more than 115/120mph with current gearing. I reckon this could be an awesome hillclimb car!

Ex Elden sports car
Sequential gearbox
OMP floor mounted pedal box
Double wishbone suspension
Hand made one off Ali body
Wilwood handbrake
Girling calipers front and rear
EBC greenstuff pads front and rear
ATE superblue brake fluid
Kirkey race seat (fitted)
Caliba race seat included
Plumbed in lifeline fire extinguisher (needs refresh)
GSXR1100 WP engine (Engine number in tact)
Race foam filled fuel tank thats built into the frame for saftey
Race hoses all round
Quaife chain driven LSD differential
Hand made Ali coolant tank
Hand made Ali ram air, airbox
5 point race harness (not sure on dates but will be out for racing)
Quick release race Sparco steering wheel
Gotti 073A split rim wheels
Revolution 4 spoke race rims (2 have Khumo V70s fitted,,,,the plan was to use them on track)
Minilte wheels with Yokohama Advans (currently fitted to the car)
Design formula uprights
New 525 chain
Hand made oil catch tank
Oil coolers fitted
New gear selector shaft
New gear selector
New gear change cable (the type used on boats)
Dynatek dyna 2000 fitted
Tanner racing instrument box with start button,oil pump, radiator
Race gauges..oil pressure, water, Volts
SPA Digi speedo (needs pickup magnet fitting)
Electric cut off handle
External fire extinguisher handle
New battery
A few slicks and rain tyres will be thrown in and anything else I can find

176 cm wide (Outside to outside) - Rear
165 cm wide (Outside to outside) - Front
346 cm long (nose to tail)
215 cm wheel base
I had shims made up as the chain over time will stretch. These come with the car but are not fitted as it has a new chain. They were fitted with the old chain and worked a treat.

There is no reverse. The bodywork has headlights, rear lights, brake lights, numberplate light and rear holes for indicators. It comes with a wiring harness that plugs in so the lights work. The front headlights have indicators built in but are not fitted but come with the car. The car has been on the road at some point but not since ive had it. It didnt come with a V5 etc.

The only negatives are the front has taken a bump when the previous owner, Bob, went over a cone somewhere in Wales. The exhaust could do with a permanent fix by a competent welder. My efforts were clamps etc. The ZX10 end can works perfectly when fitted. The carbs could do with a proper set up on a dyno as at very low end it runs a bit lumpy. After about 4k it picks up a treat and will outbrake, and out corner almost anything.

I cant think of anything else at the moment but will update this thread if I do

The car is located in Aylesbury, Bucks. It cant be driven on the road for obvious reasons.

I think £6000 with the spares is a good price for the car. Im open to sensible offers!

[Edited on 13/5/14 by number-1]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

number-1

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote

number-1

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote

twybrow

posted on 13/5/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Such a gorgeous shape. Good luck with the sale.
number-1

posted on 13/5/14 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers matey. If i could loose a few inches id keep it. Ive tried everything including sitting on the floor lol
Nickp

posted on 14/5/14 at 04:48 AM Reply With Quote
Very cool and a great story Good luck with the sale although it sounds like it'll be hard to part with
gingerprince

posted on 14/5/14 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like Bugatti got inspiration for the front end of the Veyron from that.
number-1

posted on 14/5/14 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Bob worked for Jag as a panel maker. He tried to make the mouth look like an old C type Jag
number-1

posted on 23/5/14 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Heres how the car started life.....

number-1

posted on 29/5/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Am i far out with the pricing of this? Opinions welcome

If i can find somewhere secure and cheapish to store this id rather keep it than get rid so if you know of anywhere near Aylesbury let me know

number-1

posted on 17/6/14 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I know as this isnt a road car this forum may not be the best place for the advert. Can anyone suggest a forum that the car is suited to? Maybe a hill climb type forum?
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Uphill racers forum...
CNHSS1

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
if the black GRP sports 2000 style body were still with it, I think it would sell no problem.

iirc this car also ran with a Imp GRP shell at some point in its life as a Wendy Wools style Modsports car. If that could be proven, its would be worth what you are asking without the ally body to the CSCC Modsports crown imho.

the ally body is whats hindering the sale imho

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

beaver34

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
if the black GRP sports 2000 style body were still with it, I think it would sell no problem.

iirc this car also ran with a Imp GRP shell at some point in its life as a Wendy Wools style Modsports car. If that could be proven, its would be worth what you are asking without the ally body to the CSCC Modsports crown imho.

the ally body is whats hindering the sale imho

i would agree, it looks worse in alloy than before

it might not be worse but it does not look like a "normal" race car

number-1

posted on 17/6/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps

Ive got the race log book for when it was the Imp!

number-1

posted on 17/6/14 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote

CNHSS1

posted on 17/6/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've long been a fan of modsports cars such as the Fraud cortina, Baby Bertha etc and the Imps (cos tell and Maguire, davrian) were worth bugger all for donkeys years. As with most old race cars the values plummet after a couple of seasons out of date, but then they become retro or historic and values rise. CS CC have created a class which I've followed last couple of yearsand lots of the old famous cars have been rrecommissioned and others dragged out of barns and they now have a 'worth' again.

Whilst the alloy body is nicely made, if it isn't there to make the car better as a race car then it's pointless from a racers point of view. The car would sell as a basis for a modsports car or hillclimber without it easier. Maguire style modsports imp bodies are still available as a darrians ( from Tim still iirc)

the old log book shows historical provinence so even with a 'new' body it woukd still be eligible

if i wasn't up to my ears in projects and a house sale I'd have been interested :-)

GLWTS

craig

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

CNHSS1

posted on 18/6/14 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
see this as an example

Hillman Imp race car

number-1

posted on 18/6/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice and links chaps

I think it would awesome with the imp shell back on it!!!!!!

number-1

posted on 8/7/14 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I started the car for the first time in a few months......it started on the button!!

Still for sale so spread the word people x

steveiow

posted on 14/7/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting car, hope you get to keep it or at least get a good price for it.

If it was mine I would be considering a carbon vinyl wrap, would transform the car.

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.