Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer
yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
2011 Spire GT-3 RGB Racer

So I wasn't going to do another thread, as there isn't really much to tell - well, I didn't think there would be... but it seems its a whole journey of starting from nothing, and heading into racing, would be an interesting read for anyone else looking at going into it.

I don't own my own blog (so to speak) to keep updated, so thought I'd do a diary on here for those interested, to read.

Having sold my 'yellowcab' to Phil (aka Magic Beans) I thought I'd do another thread rather than keeping that one going. (however Phil is more than welcome to carry it on, and get it up to 100k views )

So I ended the last thread with this, which is where I am going to start the new thread:

quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Here is the Busa replacement…

[Edited on 18/5/14 by yellowcab]

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
So having been an avid track day goer for many many years, 13 in fact… I decided I'd take the plunge now whilst I could.

So I sold my Busa, sold my trailer, sold everything that wasn't bolted down… left myself with nothing, then bought the Spire.

First of all I needed to get kitted up ready for racing.

Firstly, I joined the 750MC, got my relevant documents through the post, membership card etc (comes in handy when getting setup as you get 10% discount with Demon Tweeks & GPR)

I ordered my 'Go Racing Pack' which is ultimately a DVD and a posh pen, in a posh box… but has the 'Application for a 2014 Competition Licence Application Form' which you'll need a medical for, aswell taking it to your ARDS test.

So, last Christmas my sister very kindly bought me an all expenses paid track day at Silverstone for 26th May… but as I had no longer had a car, I was fortunate enough to be able to transfer it into a credit for my ARDS test, which is taking place this Tuesday (20th May) at Silverstone, which also leaves me a little in credit for a test day later in the year.

So with all those booked, I went ahead and bought a race suit, gloves, and balaclava from GPR @ Silverstone, got a good deal as I bought last years stock saving me over £250, then I got my 10% discount furthermore which made the membership pay for itself 3 fold.

I scoured eBay and managed to get a new (but second hand) Carbon Fibre HANS device… and Demon Tweeks had an offer on the Bell KF3 helmet with HANS clips, which I couldn't pass up.

So I'm already rocking and rolling.

The intention when I set out - was to buy the car, sit this season out - and save save save for next season. My wife then twisted my arm to try and get out this year my first racing being Rockingham on 5th July… but I'm not sure how its happened, but I'm now racing next weekend (providing I pass my ARDS) at Snetterton on Sunday 26th.

I am testing on the Saturday 25th, which will be my first time driving the car, sometimes jumping into the deep end is the only way to learn how to swim with the big dogs, isn't that right????…. I'll let you know after the second race lol

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
So there is the initial setup into racing done, all in a relatively short space of 5 weeks… now onto the car…

So I get the car home and the first thing I do is take the body work off to familiarise myself with what is what, how things work, and generally understand everything

Some under bodywork photos of the car

So the previous owner was a slimmer guy than me, so the foam/ bean filled seat was slightly snug, as much as I could fit in it, and it felt comfortable, I can imagine being a bit achey after a race, so I took the covers off, and started carving out for my 95kg carcass

Job jobbed, the seat only weighs a total of 2.2kgs, so very light!

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Next up was dash, and positioning.

To feel totally comfortable in the car, I didn't like the fact the digidash wasn't in immediate eyeline, and that when my hands were on the wheel, it was in the way of them… I wanted my shift lights over my column really, same as my Busa was

So this dash

Wanted to ideally be here… but wasn't the easiest with paddles, as there isn't a great deal of space

Not only did I want to move the clocks, but the dash needed changing around due to my knees touching certain lower parts of the dash, so I chopped them, and relocated the switches & brake bias

So where the right knee was touching, that got the chop, and moved the switch up (not cut in the photo)

Moved my paddles closer to the back of the steering wheel, giving me a little more room, and means I don't have to stretch my fingers too far in order to change gear

Just held in place, this is exactly what I wanted to achieve

Where the digidash was, looked a bit ropey, and removed the lower part of the dash when there brake bias was. but now the light switch looked odd - so removed that bit aswell…

So grabbed some carbon fibre and made a little covering plate, and mounted the lights next to the brake bias

Job jobbed, the overhang at the top is to fill in a slight gap in the front bodywork panel

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
So just a few before and afters… like for likes…

Dash layout

Gave everything a good clean up, now the plugs are slightly on show being mounted in their new position

Then I began to make a bracket to hold the clocks at the right angle so there were no reflections when sat in the seat, and the shift light LEDs were right in my eyeline… started to make up this

But quickly realised to KISS… and I was over thinking it, so ended up with this

Also with the seat carved out, it meant my driving position now is as low as it can be, and very comfortable (the helmet is the only one I had to hand in the garage lol)

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
So next up was the exterior of the car, I must admit, I dislike the colour blue - but it was too much hassle to change away from blue because it wasn't just the bodywork, but the cage aswell, and not just the cage, but the whole chassis - and I didn't want to just paint the bits that were on show, else it'd look rubbish.

So I decided if you can't beat it, join it, make it different.

Having been owned by a very well known driver and a good one at that, I wanted to put my own stamp on it, so it didn't remain the same guise as the previous two owners JC and JT.

I grabbed some new sponsor stickers from Nicky when I was at Silverstone, to freshen things up, as these ones had been on since the car was first built back in 2011, so were a little faded, and tyre marked

Called Nicky and explained that I wanted to enter Rockingham… but then changed my mind and tried to get out for Snetterton as previously mentioned, chose the number 30, as its my age now, when I started racing… how original!

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
So Chris (Proby) had got in contact via Facebook and we began chatting about me wanting to redesign my car, I knew what I wanted to do with the car, and he said he'd love to be associated with the car and offer his help with the makeover as him and his wife runs www.GraphicMonster.co.uk

I sent him an incredibly crude photoshop of what I basically wanted to achieve, and it was to extenuate the aerodynamics of the Spire, and make it look curvier… this was the awful job I did… which we named Bat-Mobile… or a Luchador Mask… or Rey Mystereo for the WWF fans amongst you…

We met up at Stoneleigh, and I grabbed some race number 30s off him, and we continued our chat face to face whilst wandering around the show, and said we'd be in touch, well a man of his word...

He came over on Tuesday night to offer up some vinyl rolls for a colour match, then went away, ordered everything we needed… considering the blue already on the car is painted, and its a Fiat/ Citreon blue, the colour match we got from the vinyl he had was better than we expected, the eagle eye amongst you will notice a slight difference, but not enough to worry me

He also dropped off my white names & flags, and fitted them for me… little steps, but each little step the car was slowly evolving into becoming my own

Chris said he would come back on Friday night around 5pm, where we worked throughout the night until about midnight… then he was good enough to come back the following day on the Saturday to finish off to make sure I was all set for Snett… a true gent, and someone who takes uber pride in their work… like someone else i know

In between him going away and coming back, I was chatting to daveb666 and sent him the photoshop who said advised that he felt a red pinstripe would set the car off further more, so after a dabble on photoshop, I had to agree, so cheers Dave - adding red certainly brought something

BAD PHOTOSHOP ALERT

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
And now we're nearly up to date…

After Chris' hard work on Friday night, and Saturday afternoon, here are the before & after photos of the subtle changes, which I still feel really extenuate the aero of the cars bodywork.

We opted for a happy medium in the red pinstripe only going down the centres see how it looks, and if I fancy it I can always add more at a later date

Said it already, but seriously anyone wanting any graphic work, decals, sign writing, t-shirt printing, new livery, stickers - any thing then Chris (proby) and his lovely with Kathryn at www.GraphicMonster.co.uk is the place to go!

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone that knows me will know how I like to get my camera out at every opportunity, no really, I do… so I did a bit of an impromptu photoshoot on the car after we had putting all the decals on… Enjoy…

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Then after the photos and looking back through them, I decided I didn't like the gold mesh on the back end, so this morning I went down and changed it for black

And the wing mirrors when I bought the car had black gaffer tape around them, which I presumed meant they had broke… removed it all to reveal nothing wrong with them, but didn't like the chrome…

yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Oh and in between all this, I bought a caravan, and smashed the sh!t out of it…

"can yeee guess what it isssss yet?!"

femster87

posted on 18/5/14 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Your neighbours must love u
yellowcab

posted on 18/5/14 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
From getting the caravan home, to it being dismantled and taken down the tip was 6hrs!

Then the chassis was also dismantled and stored

CosKev3

posted on 19/5/14 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Looking very good

Total transformation in the looks of the car, looks loads nicer, job well done !

I bet smashing up that caravan was a most enjoyable job? often think about it whilst stuck behind them :p

Andy D

posted on 19/5/14 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ha ha! I lolled at your "all the gear" pic.

I'll be keeping an eye on the 750mc live timing next weekend, to see how you're going.

Love the photos, keep up the good work.

yellowcab

posted on 19/5/14 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
So that's what a late night infront of the computer does, I don't half post some crap lol

I've photobombed considering I didn't think I had anything to talk about lol

Andy- I debated whether or not to put my thumbs up photo up, but it was around the Stephen Sutton 'Stephens Story' phase before he sadly passed away.

Kev- smashing up caravans is almost as enjoyable as starting fires and smashing glass for any bloke lol

#imnotanarsenist

rdodger

posted on 19/5/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
The new car is looking great!

Let us know your race diary and we can come an support you.

40inches

posted on 19/5/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Quote: "I would start a new thread about my Spire - but there isn't really anything that needs doing to it - so it'd be pretty boring lol"

I suppose there are only so many times you can sit in it and go "Brmmmm Brmmm"
As usual you are doing an amazing job Olly, especially so considering you have 10 thumbs

daveb666

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the mention Olly, car looks great. All the best for next weekend.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

yellowcab

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, lovely to see some regular faces & names appear

So unfortunately I've missed Donington and Silverstone National, but the rest of the race calendar is as follows:

25/05/2014 Snetterton 300
05/07/2014 Rockingham
26/07/2014 Anglesey
23/08/2014 Silverstone International
13/09/2014 Cadwell Park

Anyone wanting to come and watch, support, cheer me on or spanner for me is most most welcome.

I heard last night that my first race at Snetterton will be televised on MotorsTV, just for that extra sprinkling of pressure I needed

Cheers Dave, however I've not tried those noises, they sound quicker, so far I've only been doing 'neeee-ommmmm'

I'll try your noises out tonight and let you know how fast it is then

Proby

posted on 19/5/14 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Looks awesome. But then it should.

Visit GraphicMonster

yellowcab

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Post ARDS report

For all those that said it would be a piece of cake, I challenge that especially when it starts to lash it down at 14:30 which had previously been a dry day. Couple that, with I let slip that I was racing a Spire and the examiner says 'oh you know JP Ivey and Tim Gray then!?'

He then smiled and says 'Ohhh you're not going in the Megane Sport then, you can have the RWD 370z'... Didn't really think anything of it... Until it come to get in the car and got in the passenger side to find a steering wheel infront of me!? WTF, panic, never driven a LHD car in my life let alone in anger, on track, being assessed lol

We swapped seats so he was driving, did 2 laps as a passenger then he wanted to swap, so soon!?!

The very first lap out I took Copse too fast and lost the back end but managed to catch it with flat out acceleration and a fist full opplock a drift/ slide down the straight lol… I glanced in my mirror to see him chucking to himself and nodding his head.

Throughout the first 20 laps he was apparently talking to me through the intercom but I didn't have it plugged in so I was just doing my own thing lol We stopped for fuel and he said 'you can hear me directing you, can't you!, because you tend to brake when you want, and turn in when you want, not on my say so'

I said, 'no I thought that was the test lol'

He laughed and we went back our where I could hear him and was far better, we did a further 5 laps with tuition, came in the did the practical driving test.

Constantly trying to use the window winder to change gear forgetting I was in a LHD

It had stopped raining by this point but after 4 laps he stopped me and wished me well for Snetterton.

I stupidly asked 'Does that mean I've passed'

Bang on. Passed!

On the way off the circuit and through the tunnel I about took out the passenger side of the car on a post forgetting which side I was on, again.

Oh, now the written test is a piece of cake! lol

[Edited on 20/5/14 by yellowcab]

40inches

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
"Constantly trying to use the window winder to change gear forgetting I was in a LHD"
That was just silly! It probably had Air Con, no need to open the window

Andy D

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

On the way off the circuit and through the tunnel I about took out the passenger side of the car on a post forgetting which side I was on, again.

Bloody racing drivers, pah!

Congratulations.

kajzw

posted on 20/5/14 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Olly!

I guess I'll see you in the paddock then!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.