Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Defender identity
tegwin

posted on 19/5/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Defender identity

Hi Guys.... I know some of you have landies.... I am looking at getting a 110 defender CSW (County Station Wagon) 9 seater.

I have found a really nice one but when I phoned around some of the insurance companies are coming back with it on their system as a "utility" or a "pickup" when I give them the reg it is neither...they can manucally select County Station Wagon

I did a HPI check and it is coming back as

model: defender 110 TD5
Body type: Light Utility 4x4 (i assume this should be CSW)

The owner assures me that it has always been a CSW and it looks very smart from the photos....He has it insured with one of the companies who didn't recognize the reg as a CSW...

Is this just one of those "oddities" that can be lived with or should I be concerned do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mark chandler

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Body light utility 4x4 is normal, it's a commercial vehicle at the end of the day.

It would not bother me if the cars good.

Wheels244

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ Agreed.

I would just make sure the logbook refers to the correct number of seats.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

adithorp

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Think that's correct. "Body type" is generic, not manufacturer specific designation.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

tegwin

posted on 19/5/14 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ok then Looks like I will be getting myself a new toy at the weekend then

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

blakep82

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
take the roof off, stick a pick up cab on, its a pick up
as far as i know, they're all the same

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ugg10

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Based on what a mate who has one of these has said, don't go into London with one as you have to play/pay by the rules of the low emission area and the conjestion zone as if you were a lorry. I think he has managed to get his reclassified as a private vehicle though. Do you need a minibus license to drive one as it is over 8 seats I.e. Category D?
tegwin

posted on 19/5/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Emmission Zone is an issue if not reg correctly.

An mpv has 9 seats..... And according to the insurers I spoke to earlier a 12 sweater isn't an issue either...

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Even with kit cars the V5 categories have struggled to classify everything perfectly about 16 of the Jago JeePs we have had have been described as 4 x 4 light utility although everyone was 2wd and some had 4 seats rather than the normal 2 Never caused any issues
Hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

minitici

posted on 20/5/14 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
An added advantage of the 4 x 4 Utility body type classification is that the vehicle is not restricted to the van type speed limits.
Speed limits are as per a PLG (car) classification.

jimmyjoebob

posted on 20/5/14 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
12 seater 110 (pre defender as they are max of 9 seats i think) can use bus lanes iirc

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 20/5/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Hi Guys.... I know some of you have landies.... I am looking at getting a 110 defender CSW (County Station Wagon) 9 seater.

I have found a really nice one but when I phoned around some of the insurance companies are coming back with it on their system as a "utility" or a "pickup" when I give them the reg it is neither...they can manucally select County Station Wagon

I did a HPI check and it is coming back as

model: defender 110 TD5
Body type: Light Utility 4x4 (i assume this should be CSW)

The owner assures me that it has always been a CSW and it looks very smart from the photos....He has it insured with one of the companies who didn't recognize the reg as a CSW...

Is this just one of those "oddities" that can be lived with or should I be concerned do you think?

When insuring, I wouldn't worry too much about the classification, as others have said - light 4x4 utility is the best description.

But I would say this; ensure that when you insure it, the model is correct according to the V5, because this is all they will replace it with in the event of theft (and we all know that they're quite desirable, and often go missing). It is definitely not a pickup, unless you've got a 110 crew cab - which is the enclosed cabin for 5 or 6 seats, then an open back (which you can get a hard cover for) with the option for additional seats. If it's all enclosed in a single cabin, then it's more likely to be a CSW.

As for number of seats on the V5, mine is left blank. When I got my 90, it left the factory with rear bench seats for 4 people in the rear, but previous owner removed them. I added in 2 single fold-down seats to allow for additional passengers, but retaining decent load space.

Do the online Low Emission Zone (LEZ) check before you drive into our glorious capital, otherwise it's £100 a day charge. If it comes back as non-compliant, you can re-register your vehicle with the London authorities as an estate car (you'll need pictures and proof) and they usually update their records. But this only works for 110's (i'vde got a few friends who have done this). I wouldn't amend the V5 with the DVLA to show this, or as you can imagine, you'll end up in a whole world of confusion....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jacko

posted on 20/5/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjoebob
12 seater 110 (pre defender as they are max of 9 seats i think) can use bus lanes iirc

Is this right about bus lanes ???
i thought you could only use them if paying passengers then you would have to have a psv or taxi licence
But i maybe wrong as often i am
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.