Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed to identify engine component - Bmw 1995 e36 328
MBrown

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Help needed to identify engine component - Bmw 1995 e36 328

Hi, just took the engine apart, cleaned, painted and put back together, now trying to identify all parts and connections and am stuck on the below. Are there any people with the same engine that can assist?

There are 2 thin rubber hoses coming from underneath the intake manifold, I think they would usually both connect to the vacuum for the exhaust flap, is this correct and if so can I just block them off?

And What is this part and where does the tube shown connect to?

Thank you

theconrodkid

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
that bit looks like conduit for a cable,dunno about the vac hoses,just see if you have and spare things to plug them onto

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MBrown

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
As soon as I read your reply above my question seemed stupid, so I thought I'd have another look to see whether it had any references on, and it did which from a search on google states it's a fuel tank breather valve! So this might help me find out some more stuff about that part, will keep searching for ideas about the hoses from the bottom of the intake manifold
Daf

posted on 20/5/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there, I one put one of these engines into my E30 - you'll be fine blocking the breathers on the inlet I did this in the E30 and it ran fine!
adithorp

posted on 20/5/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like a tube to go to the carbon canister (which absorbs fumes from the tank and releases them into the manifold when conditions allow).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MBrown

posted on 21/5/14 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
So I guess that on a kit car it's not essential and is another part I can remove and plug up the hose leading to the intake manifold?
SteveWallace

posted on 22/5/14 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Its not the vacuum hose for the brake servo is it? On my M52 engine it comes out of the side of the inlet manifold and all that I did was block it off with a short piece of hose with a bolt clamped into it. You can just see it to the left of the top if the dip stick in this photo. The other bits of pipe that are around the same area connect to the idle bypass valve, the cooling water for the throttle body (2 pipes) and, as already mentioned, the fuel tank evaporative emissions control carbon canister.

Description
Description

MBrown

posted on 22/5/14 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, it's not for the brake servo although I do need to block that off to! It might be for the carbon canister, I might just get the engine started ASAP and see how it runs without it as from what I've found so far if I don't have the bmw tank etc then this part isn't essential and it will only throw up a code if the pipe that goes to the bottom of this part is disconnected.....I think
SteveWallace

posted on 22/5/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Even if it does throw up a code, my understanding is that the ECU will just log it to be looked at during the next service rather than going into a limp home mode that would effect your enjoyment of the engine.

I don't have it either and my engine works fine.

MBrown

posted on 23/5/14 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Perfect thank you, that's exactly what I needed, it will be a couple of months before I start it but i will remove the part and block any pipes for it at the mo, thank you

[Edited on 23/5/14 by MBrown]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.