Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignition or Side Lights Relay
ChrisJ15

posted on 31/5/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ignition or Side Lights Relay

I'm creating my won wiring loom on a Sylva J15 build and I have a small dilemma around relays.

I have power posts for direct from battery and switched from ignition.

I cant decide whether to use a relay for the ignition switched post.

Theres not much that feeds from that one but if I dont then I guess I should use a relay for the sidelights.

If I did use a relay for the ignition could I get away without a relay for the sidelights? The switch takes 11A continuous?

minitici

posted on 31/5/14 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I would not use a relay on the ignition circuit - asking for trouble that is!
Unless you are using toy switches I would not use a relay on the sidelights either.
Fused - yes.

snowy2

posted on 31/5/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Most modern cars use ignition activated relays, i see no problem with it. i even use relays to activate all my ignition switched fused circuits (one 60A relay does most of them at one time.....)
side lights are needed to be permanently live so a relay is probably not a good idea UNLESS your switches are not rated for the continuous current or you wish to use switches that are earth activated, in which case a relay makes it easier to get them all working as they should.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

ChrisJ15

posted on 31/5/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I guess the thing that made me think about protecting the ignition circuit with a relay is that the wires from the fiesta (ST150 donor) ignition dont look man enough to take too much load.
Even though my light switch would be man enough for the sidelights, the ignition wires dont look man enough for that load.
Although saying that my guestimation of wires ability to carry current is based on old style PVC wire not the new thinwall stuff. Some of the stuff Ive bought thats 16A rated doesnt look like it should be!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.