Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which bike engine for a car
Dopdog

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
Which bike engine for a car

Hi Guys,
I am sure this has been asked before but what do you think is the best bike engine and why to put in a car?

I am looking at sprinting a BEC and need to know which one I can beat up the most?

kj

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
depends on car and budget

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

greaseweasel

posted on 5/6/14 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hayabusa engines are the usual choice as these are able to be modded further to produce big BHP figures (turbo's etc are often fitted). Also you don't have to rely on rev's so much, unlike a lot of bike engines.

Bikes such as R1's and some other litre sports bikes rely on high rev's to get the power up, but with more weight than a bike, this will feel almost like turbo lag i.e. not a lot will happen below around 5000 revs and then all hell breaks loose (which has its own amusement).

40inches

posted on 5/6/14 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
The ZX9R has a very good power spread, with no noticeable coming on cam. Mine will pull like a train, two up in 6th from 40mph.
However, if you are going to use it solely for sprinting, the power band is irreverent because the engine launch speed, around 8000rpm? will be well above the cam transition point.
I think the limiting factor will be the gearbox reliability. I would look at what others are running in your chosen class.

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/6/14 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Motorbike engine. In a car. What are you thinking?

Frankly a ridiculous idea.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/6/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
On a more serious note.

Hayabusa if you have the cash. Because they are excellent in the first place and being so good means that all the after market parts are available.

If there is a reason to stay below 1 litre (class regs?) then that discussion has been had before: cbr1000rr, zx10, gsxr1000 all proven to be able to win stuff. Just choose your favourite japanese brand. Some come with slipper clutch which might make them more robust.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

The Knobs

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
BSA Bantam?
alfiebeard

posted on 6/6/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
BSA Bantam?

Nah too peaky, CZ 125

Alfie

Old bloke on a mission with 320BHP of help

StevieB

posted on 7/6/14 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
It's more about torque than power output for me.

For instance, if you want max power and costs aren't a consideration, the BMW S1000RR is the way to go, but the torque isn't the best and gearbox is made of chedderilium.

CBR1000RR seems a good option at the moment, though if I go back to a bike engine I'd be more than happy with another early R1 like I had in my Indy - a little down on power against current units, but still about 150bhp, decent enough low down grunt and still very quick. It'd be cheaper to buy (if I could find a low mileage example) and I don't think and extra 20 to 30bhp for a more modern unit would make me significantly quicker for the extra cost over spending the difference on a heap of Trackdays and getting some time behind the wheel.

hkp57

posted on 7/6/14 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
What you really need is the MTT streetfighter, 320hp at 52,000rpm as standard. Or upgrade to 420hp

MTT Turbine streetfighter

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

daniel mason

posted on 7/6/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think terry everall and tim nunn it's the cbr 1000rr and are both very very quick sprinters!

Phil ashton

posted on 17/5/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Has anyone tried a BMW s1000rr engine? I have 4 new ones, 2 of which have looms ecu etc and was thinking of using one for a hill climb car project. Any thoughts?
The spare ones are open to sensible offers if anyone has a similar project.
Phil

T0MMY

posted on 20/5/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greaseweasel

Bikes such as R1's and some other litre sports bikes rely on high rev's to get the power up, but with more weight than a bike, this will feel almost like turbo lag i.e. not a lot will happen below around 5000 revs and then all hell breaks loose (which has its own amusement).

You have to remember though that although 5,000 RPM sounds high if you're used to car engines, BECs will have a redline twice as high and gearing half as tall as a CEC. You're sitting at much higher revs all the time so 5,000RPM is pretty much like 2,500RPM in a normal car...pretty much "pulling away briskly" revs and you'll rarely be below it.

My R1 engine never feels like it lacks low down power, in fact it always amazes me how tractable it feels and I usually only use the midrange unless really going for it or on track. Now my CBR600RR...that really is as flat as pancake until the top end!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.