Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caravan, how big is too big??
Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Caravan, how big is too big??

I said hell would freeze over first but I'm actually considering buying a 'van
Bear with me and hopefully I haven't started the Armageddon by even considering it
The family including the dogs are loving the whole 'camping' thing. We've graduated from a basic tent, through a trailer tent and onto a camper van. The camper's my Dads and is great fun but a bit pokey for 2 adults, 1 kid and 2 decent sized dogs. I'd love to go out and buy a bigger / better camper for us but for the following reason it doesn't make sense- I've got a Toyota Hilux company car that comes with a personal use fuel card meaning I can tow anything anywhere for free, then use it to drive around once at our destination. So unfortunately a caravan just makes sense.
So, back to my original question. How big is too big? I'm looking at the 20ft+ twin axle jobs as they seem to be a bit of a bargain and you obviously get a lot more for your money. The Hilux should be the ideal tow vehicle and shouldn't have an issue towing anything should it? Fuel economy isn't an issue. I can store it somewhere where size doesn't matter cost wise. So is there something I'm missing why I shouldn't go for such a behemoth??

touring caravan bessacarr 600glx

[Edited on 6/6/14 by Nickp]

v8kid

posted on 6/6/14 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
Because it will do your head in!
We had a fibreline (medium sized but light) and were given a huge van complete with everything. It was just no fun anymore.

Too much like home.

Also coming up steep passes we could no longer overtake dawdlers because it was so heavy compared to the fibreline.

Sold it after 2 months and bought the fibreline back. Chap who gave us the monster van was right pissed off

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid

Because it will do your head in!

It was just no fun anymore.

Too much like home.

Ta. Probably fair points, will take on board

[Edited on 6/6/14 by Nickp]

whitestu

posted on 6/6/14 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you can tow it easily with the Monte it's too big!
JohnH

posted on 6/6/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
We had two twin axle caravans over the last 12 yrs. the last one was 8mtrs (shipping length), having 4 kids and a small dog. Go for as big a van as you can tow. Would have a van again tomorrow. Used to spend 3/4weeks at a time in France........
Jon Ison

posted on 6/6/14 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
The only thing I would add (we have owned 10+ vans) its not necessarily the overhaul size its how good the interior designer was, if its not laid out well inside no matter how big it is it will be a PIA to stay in.

The largest van we had was just that a pain, everything had to be planned in advance, without doubt in a tourer for me a awning is a must, double the size of the van and makes life much easier, we used to take a small pop up tent and put that up inside awning, kids loved to sleep in there and it opened the van up particularly in the evening when you didn't have to make beds up.

Best van we ever had, a fixed bed one so bed didn't have to be touched and kids in tent in awning, job done.

snippy

posted on 6/6/14 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Like you I upgraded to a van end of season last year from tenting. The whole family love it, we've been away in it 6 times already. I bought a 23ft single axle which is about as big as they get on a single axle. Be careful with twin axle, many sites don't accept them as they churn up the ground when turning. Servicing costs are higher on a twin axle too. There are some good websites where you can check your vehicle against particular vans to check it's towing compatability. I always said I would never be seen towing a van but don't regret it at all.
Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Unless you can tow it easily with the Monte it's too big!

Joking aside, there actually is a towbar kit for the Monte!!

Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the input guys, interesting to hear the differing opinions. Still a bit of thinking / considering to do I reckon.
nick205

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Have to admit I've been a bit of a Clarkson when it comes to caravans. Now with 3 kids and a couple of years family camping behind us, I'm quietly coming round to the idea of a caravan

Can't offer any advice, but I would be interested to see what you end up getting and how you get on with it.

Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Have to admit I've been a bit of a Clarkson when it comes to caravans. Now with 3 kids and a couple of years family camping behind us, I'm quietly coming round to the idea of a caravan

Can't offer any advice, but I would be interested to see what you end up getting and how you get on with it.

I think we've all been there with the bad press caravans get from us petrol-heads. This has made me realise that there is no definative answer and it's very much horses for courses. I probably need to get a good look at a few and see what floats my boat TBH I'm in no great rush so probably better not to steam in now!!

steve m

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
We have an Avondale 4 berth, thats is 20 feet body single axle, and with the right car its a very good tower
we have a 2'0 Tdci Mondeo. and still averaged 45 mpg towing over 700 miles to Cumbria and back

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Once you exceed the matchbox scale of 1:43 it's getting a bit to large
steve m

posted on 6/6/14 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have to add, ive had the car chipped, and can out accelerate most normal cars to 40 even with the van on the back

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr C

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Had a twin axle for a good while, towed with a Kia Sorrento, nice to have the room, though you just end up taking more crap on holiday. Keep an eye on the weights surprising how little it takes to overload it, especially when starting with a heavier van. I didn't particulary enjoy towing so only used it for long breaks rather than short weekends etc. a smaller one is a bit more user friendly. Some sites may be wary about letting you on with a commercial tow vehicle because of the pikey connection so make sure you check when booking.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

mookaloid

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
The Hilux should be the ideal tow vehicle and shouldn't have an issue towing anything should it?

Mostly ok. The caravan club recommend (for good reasons) that the maximum weight of the fully loaded caravan MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissable Laden Mass) does not exceed 85% of the kerbside weight of the towing vehicle.

Also if you add together the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the truck and the MTPLM it should not exceed the Gross train weight GTW specified for the vehicle. Also if the GTW exceeds 3500kg then your driving licence may not cover it.

It is certainly possible to exceed these limits with a big caravan and a heavy towcar so it's worth checking just to be sure before taking the plunge.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

johnwilders

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Twin axles tend to be more expensive & harder to insure also because the pikey's like them
snapper

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 6/6/14 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Staple balls

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
What you wanna do is size it up against your toy car, so when the caravan inevitably stops getting used, or starts to fall apart you can convert it into a trailer.
pewe

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
We went from a 5 berth to a 2 berth as the kids got older, though we did make sure the eating area was big enough to seat five.
Reasoning was that the kids were more than happy to have their own space in pup tents plus they could camp out in the awning if the weather turned really nasty.
The 2 berth was much more manoeuvrable, easier to drive on and off pitches (no need for a big pitch either).
It was also generally easier to drive in traffic and tour with.
Unless you intend spending lots of time inside watching the tellie I'd go for a smaller van.
Finally IIRC bigger vans are stolen more often than smaller ones - just thought you'd like to be aware of that.
HTH
Cheers, Pewe10

r1_pete

posted on 6/6/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
The Hilux is begging for one of these:

Description
Description

As long as you don't write Yuup all over it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
The Hilux is begging for one of these:

Description
Description

As long as you don't write Yuup all over it

That is pretty awesome TBH

19sac65

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Some camp sites dont like twin axles
And while theyre more stable to tow theyre a pita to move about off the vehicle
Ide go for the largest single wheel with an awning for the dogs

Nickp

posted on 6/6/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 19sac65
Some camp sites dont like twin axles
And while theyre more stable to tow theyre a pita to move about off the vehicle
Ide go for the largest single wheel with an awning for the dogs

Awning for the dogs? I reckon I'd end up kipping in there!!

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/12077_603532739681648_471906211_n.jpg

JohnH

posted on 6/6/14 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Our 1st twin axle was a Lunar, then moved onto a Bailey Sentor........ We found the Lunar a far better van, plus they are much lighter vans...... Wish we still had the van....
Good luck. Have a good luck around all the company's and see which layout is best for you. Enjoy it, great fun.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.