Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Porsche 911 purchase? :-(
ReMan

posted on 23/6/14 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche 911 purchase? :-(

Looking to buy cash 10-15k, and have seen very nice one, low mileage, reasonable history plus recent engine out work with invoice to include crack test and skim on heads heads and replace oil water separator.
Want 2002 model on

I know there not going to be cheap to run, I can live with that for 12 months, and associated fuel , insurance tyres, normal servicing, etc , but I guess I'm still just frightened of sinking big money and then some catastrophic happening, and trying to balance that with a live it approach and less bucket list regrets.

This ones private, but having looked at mechanical insurance, even if you can get it for a 12yaer old car, the reviews aren't great and suggest not a good investment (apart from for the insurer)

Anyone know any one who knows them or have any nuggets, of wisdom
The more you research the worse they seem, but appreciate that is usually the case and folk don't write good reports!
Talk to me!

[Edited on 23/6/14 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Wadders

posted on 23/6/14 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you will have done loads of research and are aware of all the reported possible issues you might encounter with the 996

But if you've got the itch, then best get it scratched......what's the worst that can happen ? At the end of the day it's only a car

and you're handy with the spanners....... Go for it! Buy the best one you can though, there are plenty to choose from.

Al

chrism

posted on 23/6/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
For that sort of budget towards your top end you could get a newer cayman.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

carpmart

posted on 24/6/14 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
I run a 2007 M5 at the moment and with the kids grown up and the wife having a big family car, I have been considering a 911 myself.

I've come to the conclusion that it is a a complete minefield and that I would be better off staying with the M5. Old 911 seem to be the preverbal money pit. Getting a good one seems hard. I've missed the boat with the 930 as the prices are sailing ever upwards. I love the 930 Super Sport, not as an everyday driver mind. Even looked at leasing a new one to minimise my risk! Hey I run a V10 M5 so it's not that everyday cost concern me, just old 911 scare me.

Do you fancy an M5?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

ashg

posted on 24/6/14 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
my mate Paul owns this place ;-) http://www.psrautomotive.com/

they play with them all day every day, give him or his dad a call and they will get you on the right track. he has a huge customer base and are always selling cars on customers behalf. the bonus is that he normally does a lot of the work on the cars he helps to sell so has a good idea of the condition.

he may not have something you want on the website but he may know of someone wanting to sell.

biggest advice i can give is dont buy one on price or milage. buy on condition and worry about the price later.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 24/6/14 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
My mate has a 911 cabrio for sale at the moment - I'm seeing him this morning and get the low down if you're interested.

He's gone all scooby doo and wants to buy a camper van so they can holiday more.
#bonkers !!

Proby

posted on 24/6/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine ran a 996 for 12 months to scratch an itch. It was a great car, and although no major issues running costs were high when it came to consumables, brake discs/pads and a sticky caliper. Drove lovely!

Visit GraphicMonster

ReMan

posted on 24/6/14 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
For that sort of budget towards your top end you could get a newer cayman.

I dont think the looks does it for me enough against the classic shape.
But I think it could be a "next" Porch, not a first Porch

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 24/6/14 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
I run a 2007 M5 at the moment and with the kids grown up and the wife having a big family car, I have been considering a 911 myself.

I've come to the conclusion that it is a a complete minefield and that I would be better off staying with the M5. Old 911 seem to be the preverbal money pit. Getting a good one seems hard. I've missed the boat with the 930 as the prices are sailing ever upwards. I love the 930 Super Sport, not as an everyday driver mind. Even looked at leasing a new one to minimise my risk! Hey I run a V10 M5 so it's not that everyday cost concern me, just old 911 scare me.
Do you fancy an M5?

I aggree, its the scary minefield bit that you are right about. Get a good one and all is well, but how too is tricky.
Sorry, I'm not a Beemer fan, unless I end up with an MCoupe as a safer bet

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

beaver34

posted on 27/6/14 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
looked at 911's but at that price range they were rough and i couldn't get over the engine issues that randomly plague the early cars, i will have a 911 at some point but would have to be a later gen 2 engine

ended up with a Elise and its great, not exactly the same as a 911 but feels more special

CC Cyclone

posted on 27/6/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have some real life experience of this, unfortunately.

In 2011 I bought a last model 04 plate prior to the facelift. It had covered circa 40k from new with a full porsche service history. It have every stamp in the book and more, every receipt, even the replacement tyres all came from porsche.

It led a pampered life with me, it was warmed up properly etc and every bit of evidence including speaking with previous owners suggested it had always been so. It was mint in every sense.

8k miles in the intermediate shaft bearing broke up on the M11taking the shaft with it which then went up through the engine. I caught it quickly and coasted to halt on the M11. It went to Hartech who said it had 'light damage' as i managed to shut it done so quickly. End result a 7k bill for a rebuild and a month without the car. I sold it on not long after as the fun had gone.

I thought the rumours were rumours and i would be lucky. Hartech were rebuilding two a week for the same fault...

Suffice to say I wouldn't buy another porsche with that chocolate engine. Very sad.

chrisxr2

posted on 27/6/14 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have. Look on pistonheads, seem to be more bad experiences than good to be honest.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

fesycresy

posted on 27/6/14 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
That's a bucket list car for me, or was, after reading this.

I have very little mechanical sympathy for cars, I'd be too afraid to drive it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Irony

posted on 27/6/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisxr2
Have. Look on pistonheads, seem to be more bad experiences than good to be honest.

Of course there are more bad experiences than good ones. Its human nature and the nature of the internet to complain. Pistonheads would be a dull forum/website if 911 owners started a new thread everyday entitled 'My Porsche 911 didn't break down today'.

[Edited on 27/6/14 by Irony]

beaver34

posted on 27/6/14 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by chrisxr2

Of course there are more bad experiences than good ones. Its human nature and the nature of the internet to complain. Pistonheads would be a dull forum/website if 911 owners started a new thread everyday entitled 'My Porsche 911 didn't break down today'.

[Edited on 27/6/14 by Irony]

i agree but the issue is the its random failure, normally engine break when they hammered from cold or not looked after which is fair comment, these just fail at random even if you treat it well which is the issue, and its a expensive fix

if you really want a 996 then buy one thats had the engine work done by hartec or the likes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.