Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motor bike Question
mookaloid

posted on 24/6/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Motor bike Question

A mate has a bandit 650 and when he took it for MOT the tester mentioned that the front brake hoses were getting a bit past their best and could do with an upgrade to braided.

Now my mate is probably the first to admit that he is not mechanically minded so when he mentioned this to me I said no worries - I'd do it for him.

I had a look at the bike and it turns out it has ABS fitted. Does this change anything? is it any harder to bleed?

Thoughts gratefully received

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

deezee

posted on 24/6/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Its the same, just bled as normal. Done it on my F650GS with ABS and its super easy.

rick1962uk

posted on 25/6/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
First make sure there is play in the brake lever or it will never bleed also to help with the front open a bleed nipple then pull the brake on and zippy tie the lever to the bars this will stop any fluid from leaking and running the master cylinder dry and will make bleeding the new hose a lot quicker if you do run into problems as it can happen get a syringe full of fluid and inject though the bleed nipple to back fill it this will push any air out of the top
one last thing for the fronts it might help if its hard to do is to take off the calipers and twist them around when bleeding to get the air out

but 99% of the time suzuki will self bleed just undo the nipple and fluid will come out with the air

dont forget the rears have 2 bleed nipples one each side

But i cant believe a 650 needs them changed so soon was it a fail or advisory as we have to advise lots of make up items to meet the vosa targets

Slimy38

posted on 25/6/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
the tester mentioned that the front brake hoses were getting a bit past their best and could do with an upgrade to braided.

Sounds like they were fishing for work?

mookaloid

posted on 25/6/14 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
It wasn't so much an advisory as a comment by the tester.

It's the front brake and it does feel a bit springy and with effort the lever can be pulled back to nearly touching the grip.

We just think that they should be as good as it is possible to make them hence giving this serious consideration.

Good tips thank you rick

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.