Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone in to camping recommend me a tent!
daniel mason

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone in to camping recommend me a tent!

I need a tent for when I'm away sprinting . Only needs to be small. Single air bed with just me in it. It must be totally waterproof and very easy and quick to put up as it's usually dark when I arrive at events. Most of the small pop up ones I've seen suffer condensation issues! Cheers

[Edited on 1/7/14 by daniel mason]

Nickp

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
C'mon spit it out Dan
daniel mason

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Fecking I phone

Nickp

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Fecking I phone

Andybarbet

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have a coleman 1 man tent similar to this one on ebay: 311001055013

It was nicknamed the body bag at one of the kitcar shows but it only has two small poles, a couple of guy ropes & is really good quality & very waterproof

Might be worth a look

Mine even came in one of those rubber waterproof/dry bags so you can go off kayaking & not worry about it if you like that sort of thing.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Volvorsport

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Vango. Have you got one for sprint weekend?

or a khyam....

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

whitestu

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a Decathlon near you. They have some great pop up tents.

Stu

adithorp

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Vango Dart200 pop up tent for our Alps tours. Not the most compact but still fits in the Fury. It's a two man (would be cosy) but plenty of room with just one; Space for an air bed and my kit. Put it up in seconds and pegs down with just 8 pegs (get some HD ones). Taking it down isn't hard once you master it

Higher roof than the decthtlon ones makes life easier.

[Edited on 1/7/14 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Andybarbet

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
This looks like a newer version of mine, same shape & design - ebay item no 221478317413

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

daniel mason

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got nothing at the moment and have been sleeping In the front of the volvo for tha past couple of years. It's ok for one night at a push but 2 nights is bad

BigLee

posted on 1/7/14 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
You'll get condensation in all tents, hence the inner lining. So long as inner and outer don't touch, you'll stay dry. They're all much of a muchness these days. Look for alloy poles over fibreglass, and note the hydrostatic head. That's the figure that tells you how waterproof it is. A goretex jack for example would be 5000mm from memory, meaning you could have a column of water 50m tall before it lets water in, basically enough pressure to cause skin damage! (The common misconception is people say they leak, when they are simply experiencing condensation forming on the inside, or the collection of sweat from the wrong base layers) - anyways, back to tents - buy an extra pack of tent pegs, as they never supply enough. Have you looked at good 'ole Sports Direct? The Karrimor tents are alright.
JoelP

posted on 1/7/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the title and was going to suggesta kalahari 10, but that definitely isn't a small tent!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

bi22le

posted on 1/7/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Is there a Decathlon near you. They have some great pop up tents.

Stu

They make great products that last forever and have very nice design qwerks.

I have used one of their little ish tents for 4 X Glastonburys, mountian climbs and many other things and it is still faultless.

We have just brought one of their "pop up" 6 man Family XL tents. Its a work of art. Very clever. I can put it up and down on my own in about 2 mins each way. No kiddin.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

austin man

posted on 1/7/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
how about a VW transporter pulling the car no need for a tent then

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

daniel mason

posted on 1/7/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Can't tow it on my license! Am still rated at 3500kgs and am pulling 1300-1400kgs when loaded up

ste

posted on 2/7/14 at 04:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Can't tow it on my license! Am still rated at 3500kgs and am pulling 1300-1400kgs when loaded up

You can easily tow that behind a van on your license. 3.5t gross train weight minus 1.4t trailer gives you 2.1t for your van.

You can tow a max train weight of 4250kg on a 1/1/1997 - 19/1/2013 license anyways. (3500kg vehicle and 750kg trailer)

If in doubt get it straight from the horses mouth HERE

daniel mason

posted on 2/7/14 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
I know what I can tow but the transporters weigh around 2t mark. Meaning I'm borderline and don't want to risk it as sometimes I'll take extra gear with me like 4 sets wheels/ tyres which can soon add weight.
The 4250kg is irrelevant as my trailer is my he heavier than that!
Any way I was thinking of a few quid for a tent, not a few grand for a van as budget is tight. Cheers

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/7/14 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for decathlon tents. Got a family one and a smaller 3 man tent (both conventional ie not pop-up) which are giving sterling service. good designs and well made compared to many, and prices are good. Way better than millets etc these days.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their pop up tents. In fact I plan to at some point, probably when the existing small tent dies. It is only 10 years old though, and not looking bad (a few weekends a year, plenty of overnights in the garden with the kids, youth camps for a few weeks, it has had a tough time...)

nick205

posted on 2/7/14 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Vango have always served me well.

mcerd1

posted on 2/7/14 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
if your budget will stretch to it look at Terra Nova

I've used plenty of other tents before and I used to swear by vango which are normally really good for the money
(even used a fairly basic one on the summit of ben nevis at new year!)
but now I'm converted to terra nova

currently I've got 4 usable tents:

a cheap vango 3 man (£60) which is ok, but bulky and heavy - its basically using 20+ year old tech and fairly cheaply made, but its still works well considering how cheap it is (its done 4 years of very wet festivals)
this is the ideal festival tent IMHO

the last vango I got was one of the newer force10's (vortex 200 that I found for a bargain £240) its been really good and stood up well to severe weather, but next to my mates old terra nova 'quasar' its 1kg heavier, smaller inside and no where near as solid in the wind

next I got my terra nova 'voyager' (found it on a deal at £315) its a 3 pole design with loads of room at one end and not much at the other - but its really light ~2kg, packs down to a tiny volume and has kept me dry in force 10 storms (camping next to the sea in the Outer Hebrides)

the last one is a 'wild country' 1 bed big family tent (made by terra nova) its massive and really solid - got it out of there factory clearance for £150
its big and heavy (over 20kg!), but very comfortable to live in - I don't even need to duck to walk into it (I'm 5'10" )

its horses for courses, but having used all of these and several others kinds over the years I wouldn't go back to other brands
and they are built to last too
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/ (keep an eye on the sale section)

[Edited on 2/7/2014 by mcerd1]

-

Wheels244

posted on 2/7/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'll be having one of these for track days and shows

www.smartent.com/product.php
Weight - 12.2kg. Weight Limit tent - 120kg(18 Stone). Dimensions 217w x 70D ...

I got a pop up one and it's rubbish.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

MK9R

posted on 2/7/14 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I built a frame over my trailer and used a roof tent, pops up in 5 seconds and really convenient and the built in matress wasvgteat. I am trying tk find the company I bought it off as it only cost £280 but it was this type of thing
Autohome Overland rooftent

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
micksalt

posted on 2/7/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Khyam Nimbus that is over 15 years old now and absolutely spot on. Maybe a bit big for your purposes. However, Khyam aren't as good as they used to be. I see that the ripstop nylon flysheet is now a plain polyester one for starters.
MK9R

posted on 2/7/14 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Heres my old setup (the rainbow is an extra)

[Edited on 2/7/14 by MK9R]

[Edited on 2/7/14 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 2/7/14 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ok found them thia is who j bought it from and theybshipped from germany. Itvwas on uk ebay when I boughtvit but cant find it now.
http://www.sportsshop.de/Dachzelte-und-Zubehoer-AUTODACHZELT-WASTELAND---DACHZELT-gruen---240x140x130cm/a4394099_u3167_z31079020-a816-470e-a99a-301b54 e7bba3/

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.