Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: limp mode
andrew

posted on 11/7/14 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
limp mode

my sprinter 413 van 03 ocasionaly goes into limp mode ,no warning lights on , but will corect itself when turned off for a while , diagnostic doesent show any fault , any ideas ,, thanks,,
ashg

posted on 11/7/14 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
egr valve or hole in intercooler/boost pipework would be my bet.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

DW100

posted on 11/7/14 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
If the ECU realizes that there is a fault and goes into limp mode then it will log a fault code.

If you do enough drive cycles after this without the fault occurring then it may erase the code from its memory.

There may be a fault that causes reduced power that the ECU doesn't recognise as a fault and doesn't log a fault. These are more tricky to sort out and where advice from the internet make owners looking for a supposedly quick solution throw parts at it based on peoples guesses.

There are hundreds of possible causes, without proper diagnosis you may get lucky and get it right first time, but equally I've seen times when people have thrown thousands at it without sorting the issue.

owelly

posted on 11/7/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
As said, faults should be logged even if they are 'pending'. Check for intercooler hoses sucking themselves flat or delaminating internally.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
haz87

posted on 11/7/14 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
As above really. Ideally you'd want to do a scan just as its gone into Limp as this is obviously your best chance to read a code 'if' it is managing to clear itself. How long did you leave it between the issue and then scanning previously?
Trollyjack

posted on 11/7/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Have you had the memory read with a ODB2 reader there should be a Fault code in there

[Edited on 11/7/14 by Trollyjack]

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAMSTER

posted on 11/7/14 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
turbo i had one that done this and the vains in the turbo were sticking
GreigM

posted on 11/7/14 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAMSTER
turbo i had one that done this and the vains in the turbo were sticking

I would say this is a possibility. It is more commonly the actuator which varies the vane position, this can be refurbished. However it can also be the turbo vanes as above, this is less common and I'm unsure if it can be refurbed. Either way a fairly big job and downtime for the van.

DW100

posted on 11/7/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sticking turbo, actuators, split pipes and burst intercoolers will give poor performance but should set codes for boost pressure deviation. You will normally be able to hear boost pressure leaks as you drive.

Depending on whether it is Euro4 or Euro5 emissions spec it may be possible for an EGR valve to stick and not give codes. Euro 5 requires feedback of EGR valve position.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.