Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First MOT?
skov

posted on 16/7/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
First MOT?

Hi All,

Sorry for another 'when is my first MOT due' thread, but... When is my first MOT due?

I passed IVA in July last year and registered it with the DVLA as a 'kit conversion' and got age related plates.
Date of first registration on the V5 is July 2013, but there's also a note at the bottom saying it was rebuilt from old parts.

So, is the MOT due this month, or in two years time? Is there anyone I can phone to find out for sure?

Thanks!

mcerd1

posted on 16/7/14 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
2 years time

same for any car that been through an IVA - regardless of the type of plate you got...

[Edited on 16/7/2014 by mcerd1]

-

james h

posted on 16/7/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, three years after the test has been passed.
skov

posted on 16/7/14 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Three years would be good

I kind of had it in my head that new registrations didn't need an MOT for 3 years, but age related needed one after a year.
Not sure why I thought this, and can't find any real evidence to support it now though!

The only slight doubt I have left is that the guy at my local DVLA office said it would need one after a year, and he seemed to know his stuff and was spot on with everything else.

CosKev3

posted on 16/7/14 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is as above,3 years from registration.

When is tax up? As if it needs a mot it will tell you when you go to tax it.

If you want you can mot it anyway, even if not needed if it gives you piece of mind!

skov

posted on 16/7/14 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
The tax isn't due until October, and I probably won't bother taxing it again until spring.

I don't want to MOT it if I don't need too, but I don't fancy getting caught driving it without an MOT either!

loggyboy

posted on 16/7/14 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
You should be fine as your reg doc shows the correct dates, you may find it wont let you do it on line, but the Post Office wont argue.

It can be a slight grey area - typical of the hit and miss DVLA/VOSA/C&U regulations that often contradict each other.

You technically should have 3 years as the rules state (Road traffic act).

....the motor vehicles to which this section applies at any time are—
a)those first registered under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 or any corresponding earlier legislation not less than three years before that time, and .
(b)those which, having a date of manufacture not less than three years before that time, have been used on roads (whether in Great Britain or elsewhere) before being so registered,

The issue generally arrises when the automated online taxing site is used. For some reason it Doesnt like it. The other is that after registration with a age related or Q plate, its been known for the V5c to contain 2 dates - Date of first registration, and date of first registration/use in the UK.
Beccause the DVLA ralely have a concise approach to their work, they can put the donor cars registration date in one of the V5c sections, and the kit cars registration date in the ohter, meaning, the 2nd paragraph of the above law is contravined, and they apply the date of 1st registration.
Some V5s have it in the notes, stating: 'registered and/or used, delcared manufactured in 19**' or as yours, 'built from used/old parts', they cause less problems as 'first registered date' is the date of the kits registration.

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 16/7/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skov
I don't want to MOT it if I don't need too, but I don't fancy getting caught driving it without an MOT either!

You sound like my Mrs!!! Can't be pleased whatever is suggested.............

skov

posted on 16/7/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

You sound like my Mrs!!! Can't be pleased whatever is suggested.............

Haha, sorry didn't come out quite how I meant it now I've re-read it. Didn't mean to sound like an unappreciative woman, lol

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
You should be fine as your reg doc shows the correct dates, you may find it wont let you do it on line, but the Post Office wont argue.

It can be a slight grey area - typical of the hit and miss DVLA/VOSA/C&U regulations that often contradict each other.

You technically should have 3 years as the rules state (Road traffic act).

....the motor vehicles to which this section applies at any time are—
a)those first registered under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 or any corresponding earlier legislation not less than three years before that time, and .
(b)those which, having a date of manufacture not less than three years before that time, have been used on roads (whether in Great Britain or elsewhere) before being so registered,

The issue generally arrises when the automated online taxing site is used. For some reason it Doesnt like it. The other is that after registration with a age related or Q plate, its been known for the V5c to contain 2 dates - Date of first registration, and date of first registration/use in the UK.
Beccause the DVLA ralely have a concise approach to their work, they can put the donor cars registration date in one of the V5c sections, and the kit cars registration date in the ohter, meaning, the 2nd paragraph of the above law is contravined, and they apply the date of 1st registration.
Some V5s have it in the notes, stating: 'registered and/or used, delcared manufactured in 19**' or as yours, 'built from used/old parts', they cause less problems as 'first registered date' is the date of the kits registration.

Now this does please me greatly!

I've got two dates on my V5 - date of registration and date of first use. Both are July 2013

Thanks for the replies all

Gemini

posted on 2/8/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is coming up for its first MOt, 3 years from IVA, registation on age related plates. Always renewed on line and no issues at all.

They did insist on an mot for registration though!! to go with the IVA pass. Just the hoops to do when no one knows their a... from their elbow!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.