Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackberry
cassidym

posted on 15/11/04 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
Blackberry

Anyone got a Blackberry PDA/Cellphone. Coming to SA soon and am very interested to hear your opinions coz I would like to get me one.

Nokia has lost the plot somewhere.

Chris Green

posted on 15/11/04 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I was at an awards ceremony a couple of months ago, and each table had a blackberry on it. They were all linked through a Bluetooth network. It was excellent.

I didn;t use the phone that much though. It looks a bit boring as the screen is mono.

Is the Sony Ericsson P900 or 910 not a better option? my colleague has one, and its great.

blueshift

posted on 15/11/04 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
they used to have a load at my old work. they seem to work ok.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/04 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
My company writes software for these things, and I spend a fair bit of time testing on them.
Seem to work just fine, but they don't excite me at all - I can't see me ever buying one for personal use.
They're the must-have device in the USA, apparently (maybe it's just the USA Yuppies) but they haven't really taken off here so much - but we all went nuts on SMS, which the US of A haven't really picked up on.
If you hold a colour BBY in one hand, and a good large-screen Symbian-based mobile phone (Nokia 6600) in the other, then the BBY looks like 5-year-old technology.

just my 2p's worth

David

[Edited on 15/11/04 by David Jenkins]

DaveFJ

posted on 15/11/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
but they haven't really taken off here so much
David

[Edited on 15/11/04 by David Jenkins]

Have you been on the commuter train to London recently ?
I was on Friday and i reckon about 60% of the 'buisness types' on board had them...

they are the current 'must have' - we have loads of users at work - (i am currently trying to avoid getting one - I really don't fancy support call emails at 3am from the states!!)

BTW they are colour not mono, they are a bit big for general use as a mobile phone though imho

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

ChrisW

posted on 15/11/04 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a P900 which is great. Far smaller than a blackberry but does roughly the same.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 15/11/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I should probably clarify

we use blackberrys at work because they interface with our work exchange server so we recieve work emails on the move......

probably the only device currently widely available to do this.

Dave

paulbeyer

posted on 15/11/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I've got a P900 which is great. Far smaller than a blackberry but does roughly the same.

Chris

I'll second that. I have a P900 as well and the new P910 is supposed to be even better. Until recently I worked for a telecoms company as an engineer and we used to get to play with all the latest handsets and the P900 was the weapon of choice for about 95% of us. Highly recommended, the black pudding was too clunky and most were replaced by P900's sooner rather than later.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/04 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
"we use blackberrys at work because they interface with our work exchange server so we recieve work emails on the move......"

Tried that with me... for some unaccountable reason my SIM doesn't work, and I'm sure the battery's knackered...

I agree that they're popular in The City, but they're far less 'must-have' outside London. And don't forget that BT's Research Labs are at one end of your journey...

As for "Have you been on the commuter train to London recently ?" that's what I do Monday to Friday, morning and evening!

rgds,

David

ned

posted on 15/11/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
As for "Have you been on the commuter train to London recently ?" that's what I do Monday to Friday, morning and evening!

rgds,

David

ditto!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 15/11/04 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ah bliss - I manage to limit to once a week on average
and first class only of course

[Edited on 15/11/04 by protofj]

Dave

ChrisW

posted on 15/11/04 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
I have a P900 as well and the new P910 is supposed to be even better.

If you have the necessary kit you can run the P910 firmware on a P900. Most notable 'new' feature is it supports Mem Stick Pro (yes, lack of support in p900 is just a software issue!)

Chris

My gaff my rules

cassidym

posted on 15/11/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of useful advice - thanx guys. The Sony/Ericson maybe an option.

What I do need from a PDA is for it to be able to run a telnet emulator and SSH software.

That's why I preferred to use the 9110 and 9210.

But I think the PalmTop Tungsten can run telnet and SSH. Do'nt know about blackberry and Sony tho.

I guess a builtin camera would be nice to have but not high on my list of criteria.

Tim 45

posted on 16/11/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
What about the 02 XDA2.......they seem pretty good, have camera, phone, full internet, pocket word etc.......
They have just brought out a new one with a built in keyboard, if that seems better.......

Hope this helps

blueshift

posted on 17/11/04 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have SSH and IRC clients on my nokia 6230

the SSH client is more of a novelty / extreme emergency feature though. tiny text and obvious slowness with no qwerty.

[Edited on 17/11/04 by blueshift]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.