Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: laptop fan going nuts???
nick205

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
laptop fan going nuts???

3 yr old HP ProBook 4530s laptop has been faultless to date, but for the past week or so the fan has been going nuts.

I've had the back off to check for dust in the fan, very little to speak of, but gave it a quick vacuum anyway.

It does it from startup and doesn't stop until shutdown. Doesn't make any difference how many programs are running either.

Any ideas what to look for....?

Ta muchly

mookaloid

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
is it just the warm weather?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

steve m

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was running slow, so stuck the compressed air though the vents

Bloody thing don't work now !

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds much like a rogue process to me. Ctl-alt-delete and go to task manager and see which process is running at or near 100%. Kill that.

What have you installed or updated recently ?

Do you have any extra toolbars installed in your browser. They're notoriously badly written and riddled with malware.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

chrism

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Laptop fans normally suck air in through a heatsink over the processor, you might find that there is a layer of dust/fur on the end of the heatsink that is blocking the flow of air and causing the fan to run constantly, and not in the fan itself.

I had this on my old laptop and I pulled out a piece of fluff thick enougth to make a jumper out of, it doesn't take much to block the air flow as its usually low pressure.

[Edited on 22/7/14 by chrism]

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

nick205

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
Sounds much like a rogue process to me. Ctl-alt-delete and go to task manager and see which process is running at or near 100%. Kill that.

Do you have any extra toolbars installed in your browser. They're notoriously badly written and riddled with malware.

Only Windows (automatic) updates and a Java update yesterday.

Task Manager > Processes Tab shows lots running, but no % figures...?

Task Manager > Performance Tab shows CPU at a steady 25% and memory at ~ 65%

Only Chrome browser running!

nick205

posted on 22/7/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrism
Laptop fans normally suck air in through a heatsink over the processor, you might find that there is a layer of dust/fur on the end of the heatsink that is blocking the flow of air and causing the fan to run constantly, and not in the fan itself.

I had this on my old laptop and I pulled out a piece of fluff thick enougth to make a jumper out of, it doesn't take much to block the air flow as its usually low pressure.

[Edited on 22/7/14 by chrism]

Had the back right off and can't see anything in there - I'm inclined to think its something running which shouldn't be as above

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/7/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you click the % tab at the top, it should order by high or low. Chrome has a bug whereby it doesn't let the CPU sleep as much as it should, but that's generally battery not temp than needs be. There was an article in the register yesterday about it.

The core principles are the same for macs and pcs here. When my mac goes loopy, it's generally a process running at 100%. If your machine is idle and showing 25%, that's quite high. It could be a process has grabbed a full core for itself if you have 4 cores.

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

Only Windows (automatic) updates and a Java update yesterday.

Task Manager > Processes Tab shows lots running, but no % figures...?

Task Manager > Performance Tab shows CPU at a steady 25% and memory at ~ 65%

Only Chrome browser running!

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

nick205

posted on 22/7/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Found a process; PresentationFontCache.exe using 25% CPU

A Google suggests this could be the culprit and ending the process certainly drops CPU usage to ~ 2% and the fan has slowed right down!

Unfortunately it starts again after rebooting!

Any pointers on how to disable the process...?

andyace

posted on 22/7/14 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
do a google search ... but try this one http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/presentationfontcacheexe-uses-50-of-my-cpu/4200fe85-458f-4f19-b791-1fe5395304da
SteveWallace

posted on 23/7/14 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
HP's are notorious for running hot - so much so that it was uncomfortable to use mine on my lap. When mine started to go wrong for other reasons, I asked the guy at my local laptop repair shop which laptops he was asked to repair the least. He said that he never got Toshiba's in, so I went out and bought one - not a hint of a problem after two years of daily use.
splitrivet

posted on 23/7/14 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
My HP dv6000 was doing the same thing. As said earlier you have to strip down the fan assembly and remove the thick wad of dust and fluff a clean down of the heat sink and a smear of paste does'nt go amiss either.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/14 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I had this too but a windows update sorted it, not sure why tbh
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.