Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Timing -Setting up 1600 xflow
Monty2556

posted on 5/8/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Timing -Setting up 1600 xflow

I've got a 1600 crossflow. The distributor wasn't fitted when I bought the engine. How do I set up the ignition from scratch. From what I can remember its a combination of getting the crank pulley to tdc, the rotor arm pointing to number one lead and the points opening but I can't remember how to co-ordinate all these processes.
rusty nuts

posted on 5/8/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Remove the rocker cover , rotate the engine clockwise when looking from the front of the engine ,by using a spanner on the crank pulley bolt, watch the rockers as you rotate, you will see the two rear most rockers both moving slightly just as no one piston comes to TDC . Depending on which distributor you have it may have a mark on the top trim , if it has then align the rotor with that mark before fitting the distributor , as you fit it it will rotate slightly ( can't remember which way) watch which way then lift the distributor and rotate the rotor in the opposite direction before refitting. Time with a strobe when the engine is running. Also worth adjusting the valve clearances when the rocker cover is off
Paxosstu

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi rusty nuts ( if I may call u that! )

When you say the rear most rockers will both be rocking when no 1piston is at TDC are you referring to no 4 valves/rockers?

rusty nuts

posted on 14/9/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yes when the exhaust valve is just closing and the inlet valve just opening the valves are " rocking". With both valves on no 4 rocking and the timing marks are on TDC then no 1 piston is at TDC . Depending on which distributor you are fitting it may have a small line scribed onto the top surface which indicates where the rotor should be roughly pointing when installed (Bosch)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.