Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FS: Westfield Mega-R, Kevlar Panelled, Rebuilt and upgraded, MOT'd, Tax'd
BigMac

posted on 7/8/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
FS: Westfield Mega-R, Kevlar Panelled, Rebuilt and upgraded, MOT'd, Tax'd

Hi everyone

Up for sale is my Westfield Mega-R, a 2004 'Mega' chassis complete with a low mileage (circa 7000 miles) 2006 (D6F) Kawasaki ZX10-R engine. Anyone who browses the BEC forum will most likely know this car, since I started the rebuild thread back in 2010 and it's now had well over 40,000 views. I'll apologise now for the 'war and peace', but I think it's best to be thorough when advertising a car. A few summary points:

Year: 2004
Model: Mega-R
MOT: July 2015
Tax: Jan 2015
Price: £11,000

The primary reason for the rebuild was I'd never really done anything mechanical on a car before; the Westy seemed a relatively simple machine to work on compared to other cars I'd owned, so I set to work in September 2010. Along the way I also swapped out a variety of parts for upgraded items, these include new Protech shocks and springs (balanced and revalved by Procomp), JK Composites seats, Scroth Harnesses, MAC1 Airbox, Speedo Healer, original ZX10-R clocks... the list goes on.

Besides the full mechanical rebuild and upgrade, the car makes heavy use of Carbon Kevlar throughout it's usually Aluminium panelling. This set me back a small fortune, but I have to admit it looks amazing and overall it's one of the jobs I most admire about the car. I chose Kevlar over normal Carbon as the latter shatters when impacted, something I didn't fancy if I drove over something.

Following my work on the rebuild, I sent the car off to Dave and Mark Hudson of Brosport Road and Race Performance in Staffordshire, to complete some wiring work and do a thorough mechanical check over, finishing up with an MOT. Both Dave and Mark look after several cars in the Renault Clio Cup and other race series, so really do know what they're doing. Needless to say the car passed it's MOT first time, with not one advisory.

In terms of driving experience, it's your quintessential bike engined car. Accelerates like a bat out of hell, pops and bangs on the overrun and comes complete with the sequential shifting experience; so much so that the Brosport guys have been back round for another drive. It really does make me laugh out loud every time I drive it. One thing has to be said, if you've never driven/experienced a BEC before, you will find that it's more harsh, noisy and difficult to drive properly, even I am still learning to get it right, but the results are very rewarding. Since having a geometry setup by Dave at Brosport, the thing also corners like it's on rails, you'll never find the limits of tyre adhesion on a public road at legal limits- I'd go as far as to say it handles better now than it did before I rebuilt it.

The primary reason for selling is that I get married in 4 weeks time, with MrsBigMac wanting to start a family shortly after. Before that happens I need to free up some cash to get work done to our home, to make it more family friendly. Otherwise, I really would be keeping it for the early morning Sunday runs and perhaps the occasional amateur sprint/hill climb.

One thing about the car I'm not overly impressed with however is the bodywork. On checking the rebuild thread you'll notice I decided to go down the route of the '$50 paintjob', changing it for a white from the original blue. Having followed the process to the letter, I wasn't impressed with the overall finish, so I lacquered it using a couple of cans from Halfords. The result is much better, but I'll hold my hands up and say it's not the best. From a few feet away (i.e. the average passer by), you really cannot tell, it looks a nice glossy white. Up close you can see some imperfections- runs in the lacquer primarily. Mechanically (and in my opinion, the most important) the car is totally sound, so the bodywork doesn't bother me too much, I bought the car to drive, not take to concours competitions, needless to say I do regret changing the paintwork. I'm hoping the fact that I've been open and honest about it will not put a potential buyer off. I've priced it accordingly so the new owner can easily get it wrapped if they wish (I got quoted £350).

Staying on the bodywork, again I'm not impressed by the 'hash' job I made of putting the NACA duct into the nosecone. I originally sealed it underneath using tigerseal, but it seeped out from under the duct when I clamped it in place. In an attempt to tidy it up I masked off the area and smoothed some black sealant around the duct, but again, I'm not a fan of the job. Function wise, it works exactly as I intended, it just doesn't look pretty.

To finish, given everyone here has access to my previous posts, I'll be upfront about anything you may find:

Starting issue - Totally resolved, nothing to do with the wiring loom or engine itself. I swapped the replacement battery I bought with a brand new OEM one as per the Ninja owners manual, which now sits on a trickle charger when not in use. Starts on the button first time, every time. I have a YouTube video to prove if anyone is interested.

It's been up for sale before - Yes, late last year I was struggling to find funds to complete it and my motivation was low; so I offered it up for sale in an attempt to pass it onto someone who could finish and enjoy it. As stated above, since then I've managed to save the funds to get it fully finished, checked and MOT'd by Brosport in Staffordshire, so it really is ready to go. In terms of the slight hike in asking price, even if I got said price, it wouldn't pay for the car and the work I've just had done, let alone the carbon, coilovers, seats, harnesses etc; I've easily spent over £20k including buying the car.

In summary, a fully rebuilt, MOT'd and Tax'd Westfield with a cracking engine and some great, unique features- at a very good price. I invite serious buyers to get in touch via U2U and I will provide you with my contact number, I really could talk about this car for hours. I'm looking for £11,000.

I'll attach some pictures in the next post, but the full rebuild thread is available here, with the most recent pictures at the end.

Cheers all,

Ben.

--------------------------------------------------

SPECIFICATION

ENGINE & DRIVETRAIN
* 2006 (D6F) Kawasaki Ninja ZX10-R engine with 7,000 miles- oil, filter and plugs changed during restoration
* GIPro Gear Indicator with advance/retard timing functionality (improved torque lower down the rev range)
* Healtech SpeedoHealer for accurate speedo calibration
* Simpson Racing re-packable exhaust can and an additional, larger, quieter can for track day regs
* MAC1 Motorsports ZX10-R airbox, with new filter
* Quaife reversing box, with fresh oil
* Sierra Cosworth diff (LSD I believe), can't quite remember the ratio

BRAKING
* Sierra Cosworth twin-pot front calipers, single sliding rear calipers
* All four calipers rebuilt and repainted by BiggRed
* Standard discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear, plenty of life left in all
* Clear coated, stainless steel braided brake lines throughout, no copper pipe
* Brand new 7/10" bore Westfield tandem master cylinder

CHASSIS, SUSPENSION & STEERING
* Spaceframe, wishbones and RAC roll bar shotblasted, zinc primed for corrosion protection and epoxy painted in gloss black
* Fully re-bushed using Nylon bushings supplied by Westfield
* Protech dampers with matched springs, revalved and balanced by ProComp Motorsport
* New top/bottom genuine Westfield ball joints
* Front wheel bearings replaced with Westfield supplied parts
* Westfield 'quick' steering rack, 2.2 turns lock-to-lock
* 14" KN 'Minotaur' wheels with Yokohama A048R tyres, plenty of tread left
* Full basic geo setup completed by Brosport in Staffordshire, with a focus towards fast road compliance

INTERIOR
* JK Composites 'sevens' seats, compete with 5 piece black and yellow trim package
* Drivers/passengers Scroth Profi-II ASM Harnesses (4 point)
* Removable OMP 'Superquadro' wheel
* Model correct ZX10-R clocks with all functions working (exhaust servo module added so no fault codes at all)
* In-date 'JJC' hand held fire-extinguisher

BODYWORK
* In excess of £4000 of Carbon Kevlar has gone into this chassis- chosen over Carbon Fibre due to it's construction, meaning that impact does not cause splintering. Panelling includes all flooring, bulkheads, interior panelling and rear diff cover
* Megabusa bodywork including vented bonnet, all repainted white as part of the rebuild. Includes kevlar NACA ducted nose cone to channel air to regulator/rectifier
* Carbon fibre 'CSR' style wings with mud-flaps, painted in gloss black
* Full waterproof, tailored cover to be supplied with the car

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

BigMac

posted on 7/8/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote

BigMac

posted on 1/10/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Need this gone now, open to offers.

Thanks,
Ben.

BigMac

posted on 5/9/16 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys, the Westfield is now back up for sale. I'm asking £8495 for a quick sale, no offers please. The car is to the above spec but has had all the coolant hoses redone and the Quaife box replaced with a two piece prop from Firow. I still have the Quaife box which was rebuilt last year and the props, these could be included in the sale at additional cost, if you wanted to put reverse back in.

Primary reason for sale is I have a newborn at home and I'm just not getting the time to use the car.

Any questions, please do drop me a line.

Thanks,

Ben.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.