Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear drive shaft removal
b3nny

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
rear drive shaft removal

I'm looking to remove my passenger side drive shaft today but it's a task I haven't tackled before but the idea of me buying a lot car was to tackle as Mich as I can myself.

Could anybody give me a quick description of what to remove in what order is there any special tools needed? I have a very good idea of what to do but just haven't done it before, I be live the joint is shot as it's making a noise and after I reversed into my space I had light smoke coming out from behind the wheel and it had a smell to it, plus all the grease left around the wheel and wishbone lol. I'm hoping just maybe when I get it out I may be lucky enough to just 're pack and replace the boot but if it needs a new shaft then so be it.

It's a Sierra rear end with the bolt on fitting rather than push in.

Thanks.

mookaloid

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Smoke coming out from behind a wheel suggests that something is getting hot. This is normally associated with binding brakes not a drive shaft joint.

I would check that all is ok with the brake caliper first.

What sort of noise is it making?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

b3nny

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds dry and a squeak than gets louder as the wheel rotates, the boot has deffinatly split though as there is grease all over the inner wheel and lower wishbone.

I was thinking maybe the smoke was coming from the grease on a hot drum?

[Edited on 12/8/14 by b3nny]

britishtrident

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
You don't really need to take the driveshaft off the car only separate the drive flange/hub from the CV joint. Undo the Big nut in the centre and unbolt the suspension at the outer bushes.

If the CV joint is OK ie not making a loud clack-clack-clack-clack noise when the car is driven, you can either use a cone or proper pneumatic expander to fit a stretch boot/gaitor. The cone stretcher tools are very cheap to buy but frustratingly difficult to use and the peumatic stretcher is quite expensive so not really an option for a one off job. [b} Alternatively you can pull/knock the CV joint off the shaft (easier with the correct puller tool which cost about £28 off ebay) ) and fit a gaitor without having to use a cone/stretcher.

If you have any suspicions about the CV joint fit a new one.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

adithorp

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like more than one issue. Unless you've been driving very hard the drums shouldn't be hot enough to make a bitof grease smoke and a duff joint won't get hot either. You need to check the brakes for binding and the wheel bearing (though bearings rarely get hot).

If the joint is dry and lost grease then it will need replacing anyway. Unbolt 6 bolts each end, remove shaft, remove circlip holding joint to shaft and knock joint off shaft, replace boot, fit new joint, replace shaft.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

mcerd1

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
bolt-on shafts with drums ? ?
normally a bolt-on rear end would have disc brakes....

with bolt-on shafts (aka lobro's) all you need to do is unbolt the 6 torx head bolts at each end to get the driveshaft out - no need to undo the big nut on the end of the sub axle and upset the wheel bearings

you'll need a T40 torx bit if they are the original ford bolts and the are a PITA if they aren't brand new - the rusty ones on my donors killed 4 decent quality torx bits
(Halfords pro ones that got swapped on warranty, but still a PITA)

if you lucky someone will have swapped these for normal allen key headed bolts already
if not buy yourself some new ones for rebuilding it - they are M8x50 'socket cap heads', grade 12.9

once the bolts are out the CV's come apart like so:

new boots often come attached to part G above (much easier to fit ) so only the original ford ones are really suitable for the universal / stretch CV boots

when you reassemble make sure the grove around the CV joints is nearest the ends of the shaft - this is important to shop them wearing out prematurely

and make sure you use the 3 double lock washer things at each end (next to G on the diagram above) and torque up these bolts properly as they have a habit of coming loose otherwise...
(if you don't have these special washers then at the very least you should use plenty of Loctite or maybe something like nordlock washers - so not use spring washers as they are crap!)

[Edited on 12/8/2014 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 12/8/2014 by mcerd1]

-

b3nny

posted on 13/8/14 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
This is going to sound daft but should I be able to clearly see the bolts holding the drive shaft on at the hub end? I had a quick look last night and the shaft seems to disappear into a sleeve at the hub end and I could see any bolts? Are they inside the sleeve? On the diff end I can clearly see the Allan bolts attchibg to the diff, is it possible I have some kind of hybrid? As somebody mentioned the bolt in drive shaft is normally on a disc set up.

This is my hub side

With the push in type shaft is there any bolts in the same pattern at the diff end just incase I'm getting confused?

I'm hoping to get to work this evening. P

[Edited on 13/8/14 by b3nny]

adithorp

posted on 13/8/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Your picture is the outer end of a push-in shaft. If your inner end has the 6 bolts then you've got a hybrid shaft that the builder has made up to mate a bolt on diff to drum type hubs.

You should be able to get it out without dismanteling the complete hub. Unbolt the inner end 6 bolts, remove the big not on the outer end (very tight and left-hand thread on left side) Then manouver shaft out past diff (providing you have enough room). It might take a knock or two to move the shaft in the hub.

Once it's out follow BT's instructions for replacing the boot/joint.

[Edited on 13/8/14 by adithorp]

adithorp

posted on 13/8/14 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Actually that doesn't look like a Sierra outer joint. They have the tin-can type boot kit and that doesn't look like that, though the picture is a bit unclear.

mcerd1

posted on 13/8/14 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
some folk make up hybrid shafts so that they can use diffs with bolt-on flanges without the need for changing the drum brakes
this is useful as the ford LSD's cannot use push-in driveshaft's

if you didn't have the ford LSD then there would be no reason to use the bolt-on diff flanges (on open diffs they can just be removed and the push-in shafts used in their place)

only problem with the hybrid shafts is that they tend to wear out the CV joints a bit faster due to the different designs at each end no balancing each other out - this shouldn't really be a problem with the limited mileages that most of these cars do though

-

b3nny

posted on 13/8/14 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Well it doesn't sound to hard to get out from now if it is a hybrid, would I need to undo any suspension for movment or once UN bolted at the diff end and the hub it should slide past the diff?

Once out I'll get a picture of what I have and hopefully you guys can tell me what I need.

I assume the cv joint at the hub end will all come out with the shaft?

I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill and once I get cracking it will all come together. These home.builds are certinatly a huge learning curve lol.

adithorp

posted on 13/8/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
It might come past the diffand it might not depending on the chassis around the diff.

Try it and see. If not then you'llhave to remove the drum, probablythe shoes, and then the 4 bolts holding the back-plate and bearing carrier. Then the shaft should come out through the upright. Be sure to slacken the big centre nut first.

How simple the joint/boot are to replace will depend on whether it'sthe tin-can type or not.

b3nny

posted on 13/8/14 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I have at the diff side of my shaft (not my pic but same as) does this confirm a hybrid shaft or am I confused and this is actually a push type?

[Edited on 13/8/14 by b3nny]

b3nny

posted on 13/8/14 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Well it's a poor state of affairs, just been under the car and the suspension bracket has snapped off its plate without me knowing, which in turn looks like it has put pressure on the cv joint and this is where the grease has come from the boot is fine.

The grease looks like copper grease and it looks to be coming from in between the hub and the cv, unfortunately it's going to have to be a garage job as I don't have a welder or the skills to weld. Bummer!

mcerd1

posted on 14/8/14 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like you've got a few issues to sort out

the pic above is definitely a bolt-on / lobro CV and your earlier pic of the wheel end is definitely a push-in / tripode CV - so yes you do have hybrid driveshaft's

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.