Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Branded HDMI cable
Slimy38

posted on 30/8/14 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Branded HDMI cable

I need a good quality HDMI cable, but unfortunately all I can find on the internet is that branded HDMI cables are a waste of money. Of course, that is true for most applications, but I need to run a cable from my PC in one corner of the room, to my projector which is mounted in the ceiling near the centre, I estimate around 10 metres away. I doubt I'll get a connection if I use a far eastern bargain.

Any brand recommendations? I only know Belkin, but they don't go above 5 metres.

K13JOB

posted on 30/8/14 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a 10m one from Maplin, wasn't cheap but works grand.
Sorry can't remember which brand it was.

sdh2903

posted on 30/8/14 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on amazon at the Ibra basics leads the 10m one is about a tenner I think. I've just used a load of these in 5m guise to mount my telly on the wall and they have performed flawlessly.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/8/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Usually 10m+ is done in cat 5e cable with converters either end. That way you don't problems and it's pretty cheap

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Slimy38

posted on 30/8/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
Have a look on amazon at the Ibra basics leads the 10m one is about a tenner I think. I've just used a load of these in 5m guise to mount my telly on the wall and they have performed flawlessly.

Excellent thanks, just the sort of thing I was looking for. And pretty much the same price as the unbranded ones.

Slimy38

posted on 30/8/14 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Usually 10m+ is done in cat 5e cable with converters either end. That way you don't problems and it's pretty cheap

I was tempted to do that, my last projector used VGA so I've already got a cat5 cable run in with VGA connectors either end. I could just reterminate and reuse. But two convertors and two leads would exceed the price of a full lead.

GreigM

posted on 30/8/14 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I got one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-white-Series-Ethernet-supports/dp/B00FK0YU06

coupled with an HDMI splitter I can watch sky in another room at the other end of the house - works perfectly.

jossey

posted on 31/8/14 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
The connextions are better quality but there is no difference in picture quality from a £1 cable to the £200 ones.

I buy good cables but then use a cheap extension or bend adaptor so if I catch it I don't damage the cables going in the wall.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 31/8/14 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
The connextions are better quality but there is no difference in picture quality from a £1 cable to the £200 ones.

I buy good cables but then use a cheap extension or bend adaptor so if I catch it I don't damage the cables going in the wall.

I agree, no difference in picture quality, but a huge difference on whether the connection is established in the first place. Any wet piece of string will get a signal from the bottom to the top of a tv cabinet, it needs something a bit better to get it running 10 metres.

stevebubs

posted on 31/8/14 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.keene.co.uk
gttztt

posted on 31/8/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Ben. Most cheap unbranded cables are ok over short distances but as you go beyond 5m you may start to see problems (sparkles on screen etc) and image quality suffers a lot. Most recognised brands build cables to a specification and you can pretty much rely on them for good performance up to 10m. Beyond 10m and it's all down to chance.

We only use HDMI cables up to 10m commercially (including all plug breaks/joints) as they are pretty much bullet proof. If you go 10.5m and and beyond you may not get a signal at all. Thats when we go cat5/6 converters/transmitters with commercial brands like Atlona, Kramer, SY and Gefen. They are not cheap but they work.

Slimy38

posted on 2/9/14 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
The Ibra cable arrived today, reassuringly thick and high quality. Even through a cheap switch at the input end it worked perfectly first time. Now I just need to get it into the loft!

Thank you all for the advice.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.