Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA on a Dutton?
Schrodinger

posted on 5/9/14 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
IVA on a Dutton?

What is the collective thought on the likelihood of a Dutton passing IVA.
It's just that I have been offered 2 uncompleted kits for a good price.

Keith
Aviemore

loggyboy

posted on 5/9/14 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I cant imagine any inherent problems. Should be no harder than any other kit.

Mistral Motorsport

will121

posted on 5/9/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
What is the collective thought on the likelihood of a Dutton passing IVA.
It's just that I have been offered 2 uncompleted kits for a good price.

only thing i would say is what would the residual value of the vehicle be once finished considdering the cost of IVA

jossey

posted on 5/9/14 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
You would probably be one of the first to IVA a Dutton and leave it as a Dutton.

(Backlash....)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 5/9/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Probably the first to IVA a Dutton full stop, cant imagine many came onto the road while SVA was about, even ignoring the number of pre-SVA cars not properly registered.

Daniel

Andy S

posted on 5/9/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I know of a Melos that went through SVA - I may even have a scan of the failure sheets.

To answer the OP - save yourself a load of time and money and take £200 out of your wallet now and set fire to it.

britishtrident

posted on 5/9/14 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect you could legally use a junk Dutton as a donor on the original. Registration , as rebuilt car on new chassis from the original manufacturer all that might be asked for is a vehicle identity check. It might even keep the net monitors of Dutton owners club happy.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

chris-g

posted on 6/9/14 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
If you can prove that the car was built over 10 years ago then you wont need to IVA it. The hard part is convincing DVLA that its over 10 years old.
FEZ1025

posted on 15/9/14 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
If it is a Phaeton then logically it should be no harder than any other seveneque kit, the interior may need a looking over for sharp edges, collapsible column etc. I had a brand new kit a couple of years ago that I was going to put through but work got in the way & sold the kit on.

Alan...

oldfornew

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g
If you can prove that the car was built over 10 years ago then you wont need to IVA it. The hard part is convincing DVLA that its over 10 years old.

Chris_G, can you explain this for me.

I am actually trying to work out if I can road register a Ginetta G20 former race car. So something that was built 10 years ago but has never been road registered. I saw your comment and wondered if this could help me.

cheers, Colin

chris-g

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Colin. Take at look at the VOSA document called “The Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme. A guide to the approval of light passenger and light goods vehicles, buses & coaches, large goods vehicles and trailers”. Section 1.9 of the document, entitled “When does IVA not apply?” lists types of vehicles to which IVA does not apply. Among this list is, “Old vehicles (i.e. passenger cars and light goods vehicles over 10 years old and large goods vehicles over 25 years old)”. This is backed up in law in the Road Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2009.
You will have to send DVLA evidence that the car was built over 10 years ago. They have previous told me that they will only accept an MOT certificate or tax disk as proof, however what constitutes acceptable evidence is not set in law neither is it specified any form of guidance notes. Expect them to turn down your application with the excuse that your evidence does not prove that the car was built over 10 years. I have been through this process without success and it was a long slog but you may have better evidence so give it a go.

oldfornew

posted on 15/10/14 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm, these race cars have chassis numbers. Wondering if the factory could certify the build date, and the (Ford) engine number woudl also point to a date - althought this is about the components rather than the 'car'?
whitestu

posted on 15/10/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't read the IVA rules so excuse my ignorance but wouldn't that allow you to pretty much build any kit without an IVA?

My Sierra donor was over 10 years old and I've modified it to look like an MK Indy. Why do I need an IVA when the rules say it doens't apply to cars over 10 years old?

There must be other rules that prevent this that would also apply to the Dutton / Ginetta scenario?

Stu

chris-g

posted on 15/10/14 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Colin. Does your car have an MSA or FIA log book with matching a chassis number that matches the car and is it dated more than 10 years ago? Was it built by the factory and if could they supply you copies of the purchase invoice to show when it was built and that it was a fully built car at that time, not just collection of parts for assembly? Has it ever had an MOT and do you have the certificate? I know some race series insist on the car having an MOT to prove it is in a good state of repair.

Nice try Stu but I don't think the authorities see it that way.

oldfornew

posted on 15/10/14 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Chris, good thinking.

It would have been built by Ginetta (althought under the previous owner) but will have an MSA logbook. It will not ever have had an MOT.

chris-g

posted on 15/10/14 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck Colin, I think you will need it, expect a battle with DVLA.
whitestu

posted on 15/10/14 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Nice try Stu but I don't think the authorities see it that way.

Pity! I was trying to make the point that I don't see how it could be made to apply to any car. Just doesn't seem to make sense

Stu

colin99999

posted on 16/10/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldfornew
Chris_G, can you explain this for me.

I am actually trying to work out if I can road register a Ginetta G20 former race car. So something that was built 10 years ago but has never been road registered. I saw your comment and wondered if this could help me.

cheers, Colin

I've nowt to add regarding IVA, but thought it was worth mentioning that I am also a Colin with a Ginetta G20 race car tucked up in the garage. Plan is to use it for a few trackdays next year once it's back together to get familiar with it and potentially long term put it on the road with an IVA if I really gel with it.

That is all :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.