Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ecu megajolt / megasquirt
dbaz293672

posted on 6/9/14 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ecu megajolt / megasquirt

Hi as I am still on a major learning curve I have seen both megajolt and mega squirt advertised as ecu's for a zetec conversion is this correct ?

Dave

r1_pete

posted on 6/9/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Megajolt is ignition only, and needs a ford edis unit, there is also a system NoDiz, someone on here has been involved in development of.

Megasquirt is ignition and fuel, take a look at www.extraefi,co.uk for the options, direct spark, edis, distributor fired etc.... IMO Phil at Extraefi is the best for MS, great service & very helpful.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 6/9/14 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
They are aftermarket ecu's for most engines. Megajolt is ignition only and Megasquirt has options for fuel and ignition control.

If you don't have the ability to build and tune your own it may not work out "much" cheaper than the main stream units. Omex, Dta.

I wouldn't buy an ecu based on price. I would find a local respected mapper and ask what he wants to work with.

If your just upgrading a pinto or xflow and want a bit more grunt and fuel economy there is always the ecu that was attached to the donor.

Edit......

Extraefi list a megasquirt ecu built for a zetec spec at around £475.

Dta s40 will set you back £550.

Omex 600 around £600

Emerald K6 around £700

The cheapest could cost you the most if you need to travel across the country to get it mapped.

Of coarse the mondeo ecu can be had for <£20 and just plugs in

Depends on what you want out of the engine and what value you give the extra 20bhp

[Edited on 6/9/14 by big_wasa]

dbaz293672

posted on 6/9/14 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that bailey performance is only just down the road from me so will make contact with them re full kits etc
wylliezx9r

posted on 6/9/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dbaz293672
Thanks for that bailey performance is only just down the road from me so will make contact with them re full kits etc

Bailey has had a lot of positive feedback on this forum I can't see you going far wrong with him.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

luke2152

posted on 6/9/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a big fan of the DIY megasquirt. It offers more then most competitors for half of the price but as mentioned earlier it depends on you having the inclination to build and tune it yourself (it is a hobby in itself) otherwise you are probably better off with some of the more mainstream options.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.