Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 711 crossflow ford 1300
Paxosstu

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
711 crossflow ford 1300

Hi all

Please help!

Currently restoring a 1962 ford consul Capri which has got a good cond 711 front bowl crossflow in it which I bought from uk. (I'm in Greek islands but I'm British)

I just can't get this bloomin car running. Could someone please clarify a few things for me if they know.

1. Firing order
2. When piston 1 is TDC does the rotor arm generally point at 1 o clock position with the vacuum advance roughly on the bottom of the dizzy

It's got fuel, it's got a spark but it just turns over & over,makes an occasional pop & bang through carb intake or exhaust & that's it.

Getting very frustrated now

Can anyone please help me

bigrich

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
From memory the crossflow fires 1243, can't help with the distributor/rotor arm question unfortunately. Long time since I work on one

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Oldaker

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Your distributor position sounds correct. Static timing should be 10 btdc.
Paxosstu

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. How do I set up the static timing please?
Oldaker

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Your points should just be opening as the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is at the 10degree mark. Connect a test lamp to the coil and rotate the engine. You will see the moment the points open as the light will go out. Check the crank pulley and make sure the timing mark is on 10 degrees. Twist the distributor a little one way or the other to make the marks align
Paxosstu

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gents
Theshed

posted on 15/9/14 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
At the same time you set the static timing make sure that you are on the firing stroke for No 1 and not the exhaust stroke. On the exhaust stroke the valves "rock" i.e. exhaust closes inlet opens. On the firing stroke they are both closed.

Have fun

SCAR

posted on 15/9/14 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry if this is obvious to you but if your rotor arm points to 1.00 o'clock when no1 piston is at TDC on compression stroke make sure you have no1 HT lead at the corresponding 1.00 o'clock position in the distributor cap and the rest in the correct firing order.
I'm sure you will have it running soon they are nice and simple engines

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.