Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New here and quick question regarding coil live wire ??
Non custom

posted on 26/9/14 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
New here and quick question regarding coil live wire ??

Hi all new here so firstly hello , being honest am not a kit car builder ,but on the other hand I sort of build cars in kit form from ground up (flame suit off )
Being honest I'm currently building what's called a bitsa car (sierra) car has been passed through last 4 owners as a bare shell with all the good parts cherry picked and sold on and replaced with alsorts inc many granada bits ...

This is what drew me to this site as was cross referencing my diff part no,s ,which I might add has been very helpful tbh !!!!
Anyway long story short am nearly across the finishing line now but stumbled across a problem with wiring
I fitted my spare loom and when time came to fit a coil realised there is no provision for a coil live feed in the loom ??????
My question is would it be ok to run a jumper or bridged wire from my ignition amp switched live to the coil positive and would there be any knock on effects doing so such as voltage drop etc etc ??

Or am I best running it either from the back of ignition switch or straight from battery ????

Many thanks and great site btw

Kind of ironic really I think as I'm spending my time putting a rusty ol sierra back on the road and you guys break them for parts hahaha

Cheers in advance

Non custom

posted on 27/9/14 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone ????
Think will just try and see what happens can't see it being a problem myself just wanted clarification i

rachaeljf

posted on 27/9/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
An ignition coil needs a decent 8 amp or so feed, switched on/off by the ignition switch; how you achieve that is up to you! You can come off the back of the ignition switch, or any suitable supply that goes on and off with the ignition, or you can use a relay connected to permanent live but with its coil switched by the ignition.

Cheers R

Non custom

posted on 27/9/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers hope to have car possibly running after I've watched the derby
Thx will probably just wire a seperate supply from ign switch as a permanent soulution
but temporarily wire it direct live it just to get it running today

[Edited on 27/9/14 by Non custom]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.