Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Black Top Zetec engine out help
cortez

posted on 2/10/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Black Top Zetec engine out help

I purchased a part built GBS Zero, which is now nearly close to the IVA test!

It went for remapping last week, which made me a little nervous as I didn't do the engine install. After a jet service and guidance from Omex, all was going well until 5500rpm and the car started to vibrate. I have since checked and found 2 loose gearbox bell housing bolts, one of which has been over tightened and stripped the thread plus there’s no dust plate between engine and gearbox.

So I need to remove the engine, which I have no experience of on this car, so to make things a little easier, can I remove the engine and leave the gearbox in place?

Thanks

arrow-engineering

posted on 2/10/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
yes, but to seperate the engine from the gearbox you need to move the engine forward around 75mm before you can go up, sso you will need to check clearance first
AndyW

posted on 2/10/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Clearance should be fine to remove without the gearbox, but remember you will have to remove the engine mount from the block and not just where they are bolted to the chassis, they wont clear the upper rails, so once the engine is supported by the crane, completely remove the mounts and it should pop straight out. That's how I did it on my zero.
cortez

posted on 2/10/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Clearance should be fine to remove without the gearbox, but remember you will have to remove the engine mount from the block and not just where they are bolted to the chassis, they wont clear the upper rails, so once the engine is supported by the crane, completely remove the mounts and it should pop straight out. That's how I did it on my zero.

Thanks AW......................Hope to start at the weekend.

One other long shot. Any idea where i might get my hands on a g/box to engine dust plate? Or a pattern!

Thanks again guys.

Davedew

posted on 2/10/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming it's a type 9 gearbox, Retro Ford sell these
http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/node/197

tims31

posted on 2/10/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you, if you put that in your profile someone may be able to pop over and help you out...

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

cortez

posted on 2/10/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
Where abouts are you, if you put that in your profile someone may be able to pop over and help you out...

I'm in Norfolk.

cortez

posted on 2/10/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davedew
Assuming it's a type 9 gearbox, Retro Ford sell these
http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/node/197

Thanks fella.

Andy S

posted on 3/10/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have two such plates genuine FMC hanging in the garage - was going to stick on eBay. £20-30 posted seems to be the nominal going rate for originals. One good but needs some paint and one very good. £15 and £20 respectively posted if you are interested.
'spose I should drop these in for sale section as well.

Andrew

cortez

posted on 3/10/14 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy S
I have two such plates genuine FMC hanging in the garage - was going to stick on eBay. £20-30 posted seems to be the nominal going rate for originals. One good but needs some paint and one very good. £15 and £20 respectively posted if you are interested.
'spose I should drop these in for sale section as well.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I'll have the £20 one.......................................How can I contact you?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.