Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bang for buck 1000cc bike motor choice!
daniel mason

posted on 5/10/14 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bang for buck 1000cc bike motor choice!

I'm after general thoughts on the modern- ish 2005 onwards 1000cc bike motors.
To be mounted in the back of a single seat hillclimber in the same orientation as the bike (chain driven)
Most seem to use the k6 gsxr 1000 but have heard there's been a few issues with reliability. 1000rr blades seem strong but very expensive install or the 04-06 r1 which is making good power with added reliability and cheap. But lacks the grunt of the gsxr
Needs to have plenty of power, reliable, light and cheap ish! Any thoughts welcome. Pros and cons of each and hidden costs etc. Cheers

Relph

posted on 5/10/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Think zx10r would be my choice.

If in doubt, flat out.

daniel mason

posted on 5/10/14 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any particular reason relph?
It's just most seem to run gsxr 1000
Also the car will be subjected to massive cornering loads!

nick205

posted on 5/10/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
If must run the GSXR it's likely the best compromise of cost, availability, power, reliability and ease of installation?

daniel mason

posted on 5/10/14 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
They use it for the grunt. But if they blow a motor they buy a new one! I don't have the budget to be replacing several engines a season

JimSpencer

posted on 6/10/14 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan

Long circuit sprinting or just the hills?

If the former then whatever you can get a dry sump kit for at the right money - probably the GSXR - IMHO.

Unless of course you can find any resonably recent engine with a dry sump kit already fitted at the right money

If strictly only hills then there's a lot of folks who simply run overfilled with a baffle plate.

I've been running a ZX10R, firstly with an Accusump, then overfilled with a baffle plate and am currently sorting out a dry sump for next season after failing to learn from other people's mistakes the first couple of times around..

jossey

posted on 6/10/14 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
R1

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
They use it for the grunt. But if they blow a motor they buy a new one! I don't have the budget to be replacing several engines a season

I haven't been in the BEC Circles the last year but the GSXR was the only one with a true proven dry sump system, the americans all use the GSXR 1000 in the Stohrs etc..

Unfortunately the way i see it, is don't expect any of them to be lasting all season. There may be some better than others but they aren't 100% reliable.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 6/10/14 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Long circuit sprints. Short sprints and hills really!
Eddie a full season is probably an hours running time in total. The longest we do is 1 lap of anglesey! So 90 secs max. Most are under 1 minute

adithorp

posted on 6/10/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd go R1 (04-06 5vy) but I'm biased as that what I know. With the right set up it's reliable as the pit falls (mainly oil breather) have been found and fixed. Later models have had reliability issues though I don'tknow if ways around those have been found. Blade1000rr seems to be the engine of choice in RGB with the ZX10r in second bith of which have better putput than the standard R1. Both will set you back more than the 06 R1 and I seem to have read of several engine failures (although not sure).

You could always go for a tuned R1. Mine puts out 190bhp (calculated) at the crank and 125nM (+25% over standard). It's been on a 3000mile euro tour and done 5 trackdays this year (inc 2days/250+miles at Zolder) and not even needed the oil topping up. Now it did blow it up last year but that was down to a combo' of fueling and oil temp but once sorted has been no problem.

[Edited on 6/10/14 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

daniel mason

posted on 6/10/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Adi. It's going in the back of a single seater with huge supersoft rear tyres. And huge downforce!Are output shafts and gearboxes ok? Also where did you find the motor? Cheers

ReMan

posted on 6/10/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Just personal opinion, but I'd consider whether any gike engine would stand HUGE WITHSTAINED G's, without a positive pressure lubrication system (dery sump/accusump) in a car application?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 6/10/14 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
All I can say is I've not had an output shaft or gearbox issue but thats in-line and with no downforce.

I got mine from Mike at RaceSpares over near Ormskirk and the rebuild was done by Kev Stevenson who shares a unit with Mike. Both good guys who know there stuff. I can u2u numbers if you want (don't like posting them on an open forum).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

eddie99

posted on 6/10/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough on the amount of running, I'd say its between GSXR, CBR and ZX10. If you do decide CBR or ZX10 let me know, i have customers with low mileage newish models for sale due to projects changing direction.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
daniel mason

posted on 6/10/14 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I'll look in to all options as I'm possibly getting a carbon tub single seater for the under 1100cc class!

daniel mason

posted on 6/10/14 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Are any dry sumped Eddie? Or are they all standard or billet wet sumps?

eddie99

posted on 6/10/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cbr is just with standard sump, zx10 has an ab wet sump on it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.