Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: design of kiddy buggy using ebike parts?
v8kid

posted on 22/10/14 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
design of kiddy buggy using ebike parts?

In between projects due to delays at the moment and thinking of construction an electric buggy for field use by 5 to 10 year olds.

Thought of using 4(3) direct drive electrically powered ebike wheels on a simple ladder chassis with a rollover hoop.

Simple and easy as possible but do I need suspension? Tractors simply have the front axle on a pivot so all the wheels stay on the ground and drive.

Do the electronics experts here know if I can power the 4 wheels from one controller or does each wheel need an individual controller with its own feedback?

Anyone done this or something similar?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hughpinder

posted on 22/10/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you will need more than one controller, as when steering the wheels will be going round different size circles so need to go at different speeds unless you are planning continuous power slides. We made a 'gravity racer' the other year and used the suspension from a couple of mountain bikes - it was hugely better to ride in than the 'fixed wheel' carts - ride comfort and ability to steer where you wanted!
Regards
Hugh

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/14 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've been building a Toylander for my kids, which is basically a 2wd 1/2 scale electric landrover

The biggest cost has been the batteries, controller and motor/gearbox and it's only marginally offroad capable, forest paths at most. In total it’s probably cost around £1200 so far which is quite a lot for a kids toy, fortunately it’s big enough and sturdy enough (can carry 5 kids) to last them about 13 years use.

You could buy a mobility scooter but most won’t take offroad abuse at all, electric anything seems to cost a fortune if it’s big enough to ride on. Most important over anything is the kids safety and don’t go engine powered as that’s just plain idiotic for kids to use.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I guess you will need more than one controller, as when steering the wheels will be going round different size circles so need to go at different speeds unless you are planning continuous power slides. We made a 'gravity racer' the other year and used the suspension from a couple of mountain bikes - it was hugely better to ride in than the 'fixed wheel' carts - ride comfort and ability to steer where you wanted!
Regards
Hugh

Interestingly if the motors are wired up in series the motors can rotate at different spreads much like how a differential works, i.e. if you slow one down the other speeds up! This is how the toylander is wired up with just one controller and two motors.

Just what happens though when it’s more than two motors I’m not 100% sure but I guess the others all speed up in the same way?

[Edited on 22/10/14 by Mr Whippy]

Non custom

posted on 22/10/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
A pal of mine made one out of a wheely bin
And I kid you not worked very well indeed

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/10/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Non custom
A pal of mine made one out of a wheely bin
And I kid you not worked very well indeed

well with that you just need a hill!

Non custom

posted on 22/10/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
He cut it up and made it like an old Bugatti type vintage racer and used some cordless drills relays etc
Think it was only 1 wheel drive but his 4 yr old absolutely loved it hahaha

Hills are good tho too

fishywick

posted on 22/10/14 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Non custom
He cut it up and made it like an old Bugatti type vintage racer and used some cordless drills relays etc
Think it was only 1 wheel drive but his 4 yr old absolutely loved it hahaha

Hills are good tho too

Plans from here - Lightning Cars
http://www.lightning-cars.co.uk/index.html
Thinking of one myself, building that is, not driving.........

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.