Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-located Zetec dip stick...subsequent oil level question...
lordbenny

posted on 2/11/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Re-located Zetec dip stick...subsequent oil level question...

I recently relocated the dipstick tube on my Westfield from the back to the front of the block to avoid the engine breather. The new location is a 'proper' location and I didn't alter the length of the dipstick. When I changed the tube I measured them and they're same length. I put in 5 litres of oil today and the level is just above the 'minimum' notch on the dipstick.

Do I a) top up the oil to just below the higher notch meaning that I've got more oil in the engine or b) Accept that I have the right amount of oil in the engine and may be cut a new notch in the dipstick to show where 5 litres actually is?

SCAR

posted on 2/11/14 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The correct amount of oil is as quoted in the engine spec irrespective of what you use to measure it. The dip stick is just the indicator. If you have altered the dipstick you need to make a new mark to show the height of the correct amount of oil.

[Edited on 2/11/14 by SCAR]

lordbenny

posted on 2/11/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have hot a shortened sump...do I still use the manufacturers recommended oil amount for a 2.0 zetec (4.25 litres) ? I think I have been putting too much oil in it for a little while, will take a bit out and put a new notch on the dip stick.
snapper

posted on 2/11/14 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
The oil level is relative to the block not the sump
Oil level should not be higher than max to prevent the crank spinning in the oil which can foam and loose pressure
More oil never hurts as long as the crank does not dip in

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

lordbenny

posted on 2/11/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is that if I put in enough oil so that the reading on the dipstick is hallway between low and high I need to put 5 litres in when the manufacturers recommendation is 4.25. I think I need to put exactly 4.25 litres in dip and then re-notch the dipstick.
rusty nuts

posted on 2/11/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I think what you should have done after modifying the sump was to have filled to the maximum mark on the standard dipstick measuring the quantity used then after repositioning the dip stick remark the max level on the dipstick using the oil level as a guide. Suspect any marks now made on the dipstick will at best be a guess. Probably not what you want to hear but it may save someone else making the same mistake?
lordbenny

posted on 2/11/14 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
So my best bet is it to put in the manufacturers recommendation and go with that? As has been previously said, the dipstick is just an indicator, if I know exactly how much is in the engine and it's the correct amount that must be the best bet Shirley?
big_wasa

posted on 2/11/14 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
No your best bet is to use the dip stick as its the level from the crank that's important not the volume.
big_wasa

posted on 2/11/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of after market sumps take a full 5L
snapper

posted on 2/11/14 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Re read my post
You can't have to MUCH oil
Just to HIGH an oil level

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

lordbenny

posted on 2/11/14 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'll leave it as it is especially as has been mentioned that a modified sump can actuall take more oil that the manufacturers recommended quantity. Thanks all, sorry or my ignorance!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.