New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guy Martin on Pike's Peak
adithorp

posted on 4/11/14 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I think it was filmed in 2012 from memory.... I don't think the bike was setup badly deliberately, but I was surprised that when they found the bike running rough, why not have hot footed it to a rolling road, and of course upgrade the injectors (laughable explanation by narrator!).

Guy is my new man crush. Such a likeable chap, a brilliant mechanic and balls of steel!

Was definitely this year, results here: (Guy Martin pos 53)
http://gas2.org/2014/06/29/pikes-peak-2014-race-results/

I would presume the bike was set up right in the UK, and the altitude cocked it up .. not sure how altitude is compensated for ???

I'd kind of spoiled the ending for myself by looking that up earlier in the week.

I'd guess as far as compensation control...
MAP,Atmospheric Pressure and Lambda to control fueling, as normal but could the boost level could be governed according to atmospheric pressure reading. So the boost is increased as the height does...

Or it's just rider governed... just has way too much power to use a the start so short shifting and he gradually increases the throttle the higher he goes as the power drops.

Having been up the Col du Bonnette at just under 9000ft, I can say you start to notice the loss of power up there. Injection motors cope OK but mates with webers were really struggling; Rich as hell and missfiring.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

whitestu

posted on 4/11/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Having been up the Col du Bonnette at just under 9000ft, I can say you start to notice the loss of power up there. Injection motors cope OK but mates with webers were really struggling; Rich as hell and missfiring

Whenever I've driven in the Pyrenees it was the injection cars that seemed to lose power. Carbed Alfas on Webers / Dellortos seemed to cope fine. This was with older injection on late '80s cars though.

Stu

adithorp

posted on 4/11/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Travelled with two carbed cars (4age and a zetec, both on twin webers) and they both ran rich at altitude and ended up coughing and spluttering for a while after due to the sooted plugs. They were probably on the rich side to start with compared to a cabed tin-top. I can imagine earlier Injection not being great but as the control has improved a lot of the issues hae gone. Cars with closed loop mixture control (lambda sensor) should stay the same AFR, just less power. Even open loop BECs should compensate to someextent if they have MAP and APS.
I know I notice less change on my 04-06 R1, than others running 02-03 motors, so even in one generation there's an improvement to the system. Most noticable change for me is the poping from the exhaust reduces and then stops, the higher I go, then gradually comes back on the decent.

Andy D

posted on 4/11/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've spluttered over mount Ventoux in a carbed BMW many years ago.

Is this right?

higher altitude = less oxygen content
The turbo pressurizes the intake the same (same psi) as it would at sea level. There will be a power drop as even though the volume of air is the same, there is less oxygen in a given volume of air. A normally aspirated drag car will loose 1 sec for every 5k feet of altitude. Turbo charged car looses 4 tenths for every 5k feet of altitude.

This is based on various things I have read on drag racing websites so it is up for interpretation as anyone can be an "armchair expert". I may have misunderstood but it sounds feasible enough

Does the actual mix of air change with altitude? I presumed it just got thinner, but with the same proportions of oxygen, nitrogen CO2 etc etc.. hence turbocharging gets round the problem be supplying the mixture at the same boost pressure no matter what height we're driving (or flying? WW2 aero engines??)

..just curious.

mark chandler

posted on 4/11/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Boost will be relative to the surrounding air so 10psi at sea level is not the same volume as 10psi at 5000ft
Andy D

posted on 4/11/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Boost will be relative to the surrounding air so 10psi at sea level is not the same volume as 10psi at 5000ft

..so a sealed tank with a gauge registering 10psi at sea level will do what? .. at 5000ft? ..genuine Q, as I'm no expert! I would have thought it would remain at 10psi with the same volume contained?

Or, does a pressurised plenum with a pop off valve behave differently?

..quickly about to wade way out of my depth here..

whitestu

posted on 4/11/14 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Won't temperature have an effect? Higher up temperatures are lower and cold air is more dense.
adithorp

posted on 4/11/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
As the presure drops there are less molecules of all constituent gasses for the same volume. There will be some variation of the ratio of gasses due to altitude but inpractice it's only the reduction in O2 that matters in this case.

A turbo spinning at a set speed will raise the pressure by a set amount (give or take). Remember under most circumstances a turbos boost is being limited (thats what the waste gate does). So at (moderate) altitude it is allowed to work harder to reach the same set limit, the boost presure will be close to that of sea-level, hence the power doesn't drop as much relative to a NA engine. Of course above a certain altitude the turbo will be flat out and still not compensate.

ps. Ventoux is "only" 6000ft.

adithorp

posted on 4/11/14 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Won't temperature have an effect? Higher up temperatures are lower and cold air is more dense.

But the pressure has a bigger influence. O2 is still less. Remember you'll die of O2 starvation at the top of Everest despite the temp (though that'll kill you as well).

We really need the resident Physics professor/turbo experimentor to wade in on this... you out there Matt?

[Edited on 4/11/14 by adithorp]

Andy D

posted on 4/11/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think me old beemer would struggle up Pikes peak then,

adithorp

posted on 4/11/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
quote:

I think me old beemer would struggle up Pikes peak then,

Calls for a gratuitous Mt Ventoux VIDEO or TWO

Andy D

posted on 4/11/14 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Calls for a gratuitous Mt Ventoux VIDEO or TWO

Itis a bit like the moon up there isn't it. I would put up a vid of my old BM chugging up, put sadly it was before the video camera had been invented.

But, keeping ever so slightly on topic.. here's a vid of Sebastian Loeb chugging up Ventoux practicing for Pikes Peak.

Nickp

posted on 4/11/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I did the Stella-Alpine Rally on an XTZ750 years ago. It's amazing how a perfectly fine running carbed engine can barely run up at 10,000ft. With the clutch pulled in and the throttle wide open it wouldn't rev past 4krpm!! I virtually pushed it up the bloody mountain!!
02GF74

posted on 5/11/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

But the pressure has a bigger influence. O2 is still less. Remember you'll die of O2 starvation at the top of Everest despite the temp (though that'll kill you as well).

No.

On 8 May 1978, Reinhold Messner stood with Peter Habeler on the summit of Mount Everest; the first men ever to climb Everest without the use of supplemental oxygen. Prior to this ascent it was disputed whether this was possible at all

Nickp

posted on 5/11/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
quote:

No.

On 8 May 1978, Reinhold Messner stood with Peter Habeler on the summit of Mount Everest; the first men ever to climb Everest without the use of supplemental oxygen. Prior to this ascent it was disputed whether this was possible at all

Either way the fall will get ya

red22

posted on 5/11/14 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
While all this talk of the effects of altitude on the combustion engine are thrilling, the question that really needed answering at the end of the program was how he got on with the girl he chatted up.

P.S. Can bike dynos cope with 500bhp bikes?

Nickp

posted on 5/11/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by red22
While all this talk of the effects of altitude on the combustion engine are thrilling, the question that really needed answering at the end of the program was how he got on with the girl he chatted up.

Fair point, forgot about that. Does altitude affect your performance in the sack?

adithorp

posted on 5/11/14 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No.

Above 8000m is the "Death Zone". Yes it's possible to climb without o2 above that but you are effectively dying (slowly) and have to summit and descend pretty quick. Time above 8000m is limited before you will suffer to the inevitable; Either cerebral or pulmonary adema.

twybrow

posted on 5/11/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
No.

Above 8000m is the "Death Zone". Yes it's possible to climb without o2 above that but you are effectively dying (slowly) and have to summit and descend pretty quick. Time above 8000m is limited before you will suffer to the inevitable; Either cerebral or pulmonary adema.

Supposedly someone spent 3 days on the summit of Everest, but with no ard proof, it is wildly speculated....

I went to a talk from Doug Scott recently (legendary British mountaineer who was cutting edge in the 70s-80s. He has the record for the highest night survived without a tent. He slept the night in a small snow hole, 200 feet below the summit of Everest. Alititude and temperature should have killed him, but he survived (albeit with a few less fingers and toes). Amazing stuff....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.