Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Scooter Restoration - Registration Issue
perksy

posted on 6/11/14 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Scooter Restoration - Registration Issue

Have a mate at work who has restored a 1960's lambretta.
Its turned out very nice indeed, but he has just advised that it was imported from Italy and doesn't have a UK reg plate.
The import duties were paid etc and he has receipts for all the work and parts for the restoration.

Am I right in thinking that he will now need to walk into the minefield that is IVA in order to get it correctly registered ?

Thanks as always for any help given

ReMan

posted on 6/11/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
never done it myself, but old bike lover, I'm fairly sure you just need a dating certificate from a recognised owners club and should be able to registeragaint this , the instruction will be online

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

matt_claydon

posted on 6/11/14 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
No, he just has to supply evidence to DVLA when registering it that it is over 10 years old. An original Italian reg doc, insurance cert, MOT, or similar should do.
Vehicles that old are exempt from IVA (or MSVA as it would be in this case).

r1_pete

posted on 7/11/14 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I am doing this right now on a 1972 Honda,

1. Insure & MOT it on the Chassis number.

2. Dating certificate from a recognised source, Lambretta owners club, or The UK agent (If they exist).

3. Evidence of Import duty having been paid, process is currently NOVA, in which case the NOVA 'number', but it depends when the vehicle was imported.

4. A registration pack can be ordered online, takes about a month to arrive.

5 Colour photocopies of everything.

6. Complete the registration documents, and send to DVLA along with MOT & Dating cert.

7. A prayor mat to pray each day that DVLA don't loose them.

I have spoken to people who have played DVLA at their own game, so as to keep all original docs, they have contacted DVLA to ask about progress before posting anything, got DVLA to say they must have been lost and photo copies will suffice......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 7/11/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I am doing this right now on a 1972 Honda,

"......A prayer mat to pray each day that DVLA don't loose them."

Without any doubt!!! ''

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

loggyboy

posted on 7/11/14 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Arent bikes covered by SVA not IVA. Which should be cheaper and simpler. Also when it comes to standard production vehicles, there are caveats that mean most just sail through. Should be cost and box ticking exercise.

Mistral Motorsport

Andybarbet

posted on 7/11/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an imported vespa without UK plates about 3 years ago.

I had a German registration document with it with engine & chassis numbers matching. Using the chassis number, engine number, I then sent off to the vespa club & for a small fee they sent me a dating certificate proving it's age.

When I had restored it & it was running, I had to insure it on the chassis number, take it for a pre booked MOT done on the chassis number, then all Borehamwood dvla wanted was for me to go down there, give them the mot, insurance, dating certificate & enough money to cover registration & road tax, about £70 ish if I remember correctly. I took lots of close up photos of engine number, chassis number, a few general pictures & one of me sitting on it, they scanned through them quickly & said I would get my reg number & tax disc through within 2 weeks.

It turned up about 4 days later :-) Apparently they can insist on seeing the bike but I explained that I didn't want to trailer it 30 miles unless I had to, they said take some photos then, job done.

It was all surprisingly easy considering the horror stories about the dvla, but there is no reason that you should need some sort of iva though, it's not an altered bike, just a foreign registered bike.

Good luck :-)

[Edited on 7/11/14 by Andybarbet]

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

perksy

posted on 8/11/14 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for the info gents, very much appreciated.

It doesn't seem so daunting now and the lad isn't as worried as much as he was

He's spent hours on it and its turned out very nice, so he was hoping he wouldn't have the stress of IVA or similar.

coozer

posted on 8/11/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Got any pics of it?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.