Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air ratchet or a impact gun?
steve m

posted on 15/11/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Air ratchet or a impact gun?

I am thinking of adding to my tool collection, either a 1/2 Air ratchet or a 1/2 impact/buzz gun

As it will be for occasional use, I would rather just get one, that will suffice in many roles
Currently my compressor has a max of 7cfm, so I believe that fulfils most in my price range up to about£50

So if I was going down the air ratchet, would it on max power be able to undo bolts that are hard locked on, or would it need them to be cracked and loosened first ?

as the impact gun will do this, but most are cumbersome

Or can any one advise something that may fit in the middle of my spectrum, and offer both

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/11/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Impact gun always much more useful you may struggle with 7 cfm and what size tank have you got on compressor?50 ltr min will only do very small bursts really need 9+ cfm and 100 + ltr tank.
gremlin1234

posted on 15/11/14 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
a quick search found this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/sat110k-air-ratchet-impact-wrench-socket-set?___store=sgs_en&___store=sgs_en&gclid=CO_TkIjx_MECFasfwwodBZQA0g

spiderman

posted on 15/11/14 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I use my Impact gun more often. Get one with the highest torque possible, I have had a couple of cheaper ones at 240 ft/lbs and both were pretty rubbish to be honest and both are not working now. I have since bought an American one rated at 400 ft/lbs from someone on this forum. I would get a good quality second hand one and put the rest of my money towards a air ratchet.

Spider

britishtrident

posted on 15/11/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
An air ratchet is a very handy thing but it is morefor putting things back together than a replacement for a breaker bar.
I gave up on windy tools and went electric now I have both a cordless impact gun and a 230v. The cordless one was a great tool it could get in quite confined spaces and had great control but the batteries are getting past it. The 230v Sealey one is a bit big and bulky and isn't that powerful but it was cheap

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 15/11/14 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will have a rethink

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 15/11/14 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of windy guns, 1/2" and 3/8", they have now worked for years, easily outlasted a battery tools battery as above get the highest torque gun you can find.

Also the air line plays a big role in power stakes, a 6mm long line will kill the tool, get a decent sized line and keep it as short as possible, imagine sucking through a long straw for an understanding of the negative affects of poor hoses.

Regards Mark

rusty nuts

posted on 15/11/14 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with a 1/2" ratchet, I have a 3/8" and a couple of 1/4" ratchets with swivel air connectors, the 3/8" ratchet gets very little use. I also have 1/2" and 3/8" windy guns both Snap On , the smaller one gets more use,it will shift most wheel bolts.
Get the best you can afford even if S/H

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/11/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
But if you buy SH take care....
a lot of windy guns have had commercial use, and will be shagged.

TBH I rarely use either impact wrench or air ratchet. Only if I have a load of bolts to do is it worth getting them out and the compressor whirring away.

ianhurley20

posted on 15/11/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a decent sh gun 15 years ago which is going well and has been brilliant. A year after I bought a new rachet device - uses more air not as good and I don't even know where it is now - go for the gun
rusty nuts

posted on 15/11/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
But if you buy SH take care....
a lot of windy guns have had commercial use, and will be shaggedy.

I have an old Snap On which had constant daily use that I have replaced with a new one , even after many years of use it will still easily out perform cheaper guns, so don't be put off S/H air tools, try before you buy!!

NigeEss

posted on 15/11/14 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I gave up with my air ratchet, it's bloody noisy and they use huge amounts of air so the compressor kicks in making more noise.
And compressors use quite a lot of electric. Admittedly, mine is 15cfm with a 150l receiver.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

big_wasa

posted on 15/11/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't used my air ratchet this year, I used the impact wrench this afternoon on a very stubborn mx5 subframe.

I got it second hand twenty years ago.

robinj66

posted on 15/11/14 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with what others have said - windy gun is very useful for all sorts of things including stubborn nuts etc.

Rarely use the air ratchet although it is sometimes (rarely) handy for hard to reach things

FuryRebuild

posted on 16/11/14 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would go for ratchet. They are deliberately designed not to over torque your bolts. Then move to a torque wrench. I also have a windy gun and only use it for the right things such as spinning on wheel nuts. What's the small compressor that you will still find you need to pause for air but that's worth it for the sheer convenience. You are also free of the scourge of having to remember to charge batteries et cetera. I got by quite happily for two years on the little wolf compressor with only a 50 L reservoir, and only when I needed to spray things for composite work did I move up to 150 L 3 hp jobby.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

pewe

posted on 16/11/14 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Impact gun for me but if I was buying again I'd spend more time physically trying them.
It's all very well having a 24v one but it's a heavy old b*gger especially in tight, cramped conditions when your lying on your back extending your arms - or maybe I'm just getting older......
Also much more useful for track-days and Autosolos when changing wheels.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

metro6r4

posted on 16/11/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I wont part with my Milwaukee impact gun, I haven't found anything it won't undo and the battery's hold a good charge however if you are doing a lot of work in a confind space an air ratchet may be better.If you do buy a battry gun then get the most powerfull you can afford

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.