Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road going sprint and Hillclimb car - MOT requirements
lsdweb

posted on 19/11/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Road going sprint and Hillclimb car - MOT requirements

Hi All

I've been out of sprinting and hillclimbing for a couple of years (retirement, new business and running the Welsh Championship) but i'm determined to be back next season!

I've sold everything Lotus related, the 26R went to Barbados and the Elise to Tumble (4 miles away).

I've bought an MGZR to run in the road going production car class. I know they're a touch on the heavy side but It'll be ok and will get me back out there relatively safely.

I'm going to try and get as much weight out of it within the rules but also making sure I keep what I need for MOT purposes.

As it will run an Emerald, and the existing loom has been butchered, I'll build a new loom for it so ditching anything electrical (immobiliser etc) isn't a problem.

Any thoughts??

Wyn

Description
Description

fishywick

posted on 20/11/14 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
As far as the MOT goes, this is what the regs say..........

"Where a car has been extensively modified or converted, certain Reasons for Rejection such as 'components missing where fitted as standard' should not be applied, for example:

A car converted for rally use (i.e. rear seats removed and fitted with a roll cage and full harness seatbelts etc) may have been converted so as not to require a brake servo, power steering or airbags.

lsdweb

posted on 20/11/14 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks fishywick

That helps! It will retain most of its trim; I'm only allowed to remove carpets and to cut around trim to fit the cage etc (there'll be no door cards left!)

It will lose airbags, electric mirror controls, immobiliser, alarm, seat belt pretensioners, front fog lights, back shelf, ABS, sound deadening and anything else that looks heavy and I don't need!

Wyn

minitici

posted on 20/11/14 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Wyn,
As you have previously competed in Sprints & Hillclimbs, you are no doubt aware of the MSA Blue Book of regulations.
Section S 11.1.1 Road Going Series Production Cars

This lists some things you can and can't do.

You can replace the bonnet and boot with different materials.

You can remove the floor carpets and mats.

You can't replace the glass with lighter materials.

All working equipment fitted as standard (heater, window mechanisms, sunroof, door handles) must be operable at all times.

The main areas where you can probably save weight would be:
Wheels & tyres
Brakes
Suspension
Battery
Exhaust (but you need to retain the cat)

minitici

posted on 20/11/14 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Thanks fishywick

That helps! It will retain most of its trim; I'm only allowed to remove carpets and to cut around trim to fit the cage etc (there'll be no door cards left!)

It will lose airbags, electric mirror controls, immobiliser, alarm, seat belt pretensioners, front fog lights, back shelf, ABS, sound deadening and anything else that looks heavy and I don't need!

Wyn

I would argue that some of these items are standard equipment for an MG ZR and need to remain operable at all times.
In particular the ABS.

Pyrotechnic safety devices such as airbags and seatbelts pre-tensioners may be disconnected or removed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.