Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW taking the piss?
scotty g

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
BMW taking the piss?

Is it just me or does anyone else think that BMW are completely taking the wee with their Massive product range.
They now have the 1 series, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 series models, all of them have 3 or 4 different body styles. They also have the X1, x3, x5, x6 and i'm sure i saw an x2 the other day.
who at BMW decided on the 2 series, did they say "what the public really need is something bigger than a 1 but smaller than a 3"? come on really!!!!!!!
Don't even get me started on the New Mini range and it's inffinate body styles!!!!!!!

bi22le

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I was in a new 5 series the other day. I didnt believe it was not a 3 untill I got out and read the back. Its not a large saloon anymore. I think the difference in sizes between the 3,4,5 is negligible.

I find it hard to spot the difference and I am a very good car spotter.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

whitestu

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the marketing department are calling the shots!
loggyboy

Its less confusing than that
1 = small hatch
2= small coupe/cabrio
3= med saloon
4= med coupe/cabrio
5 = large saloon
6= large coupe

Mistral Motorsport

Doctor Derek Doctors

Seems an odd thing to be annoyed about, you don't have to buy them.

The 2 series isn't between a 1 series and a 3 series, it's the 1 series coupe. The even numbers are coupe versions of the odd numbers.

Also you can buy 3 or 4 body styles of most cars these days (saloon, Hatchback, estate, coupe, even van)

I quite like to have choice when I buy stuff and people seem to be buying BMW's, lots and lots of them.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scotty g

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, i'm not overly annoyed by it but i think it's too much. they already do a 1 series coupe and a 3 series coupe so i think a 2 series is a bit redundant!!!
loggyboy

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotty g
Haha, i'm not overly annoyed by it but i think it's too much. they already do a 1 series coupe and a 3 series coupe so i think a 2 series is a bit redundant!!!

They DID do a 1 coupe, thats now the 2. They DID do a 3 coupe, thats now the 4.
its not that hard to work out.

Mistral Motorsport

bi22le

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

They DID do a 1 coupe, thats now the 2. They DID do a 3 coupe, thats now the 4.
its not that hard to work out.

if its that easy can you explain the meaning of the 3numbers on the back. It used to be engine size, then trim and I think its now a combination.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

loggyboy

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Its never been a true representation of engine, my e30 was a 316, it had a 1.8 carbd engine, the 316i was a faster 1.6 injected model.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Its less confusing than that
1 = small hatch
2= small coupe/cabrio
3= med saloon
4= med coupe/cabrio
5 = large saloon
6= large coupe

That about sums it up.

Also...

1. BMW are just BMW, bikes and cars. They are competing in a globalised auto industry where other manufacturers have totally failed or consolidated inot much larger groups.

2. Car manufacturers are no longer designing cars for the European/Western market. The rest of the world is overtaking that and demanding differnt types and styles of car.

3. Compare them to...

VAG; Audi, Bentley, Ducatti, MAN Lamborghini, Porsche (yes it is!), Scania, Seat, Skoda, Suzuki (yes it is!) and Volkswagen

PSA: Citroen and Peugeot cars, commercials and scooters

Renault: Dacia, Nissan and Renault cars, commercials and trucks

Daimler Benz: Freightliner, Maybach, Mercedes (cars, commercials and trucks), Mitsubishi FSO trucks, Setra and Orion buses, Smart Cars, Thomas Built,

nick205

posted on 19/11/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

And if they're doing their job well, that will be what sells cars and keeps the company in business.

Porsche (as a VAG brand) make no bones at all about selling Boxters, Cayennes, Caymens and Macans to make money. the 911 might be their crown jewels, but it would not exist any more without the other models.

Car companies have to develop and market cars that will sell, end of story.

twybrow

posted on 20/11/14 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Seems pretty easy to follow as long as you keep up with the model launches. The ones I don't like at the 'GT' variants of the 3 and 5 series. Yuk yuk yuk. Otherwise, seems a sensible model range, and really not that different to what Audi offers - think A4/5 A6/7 they are following the same model range rules...!

So no, I don't find it confusing or annoying, but I do totally agree that they all seem to have got larger and yet offer less space as time goes by....

JC

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
But just to confuse matters, there is the 2 series coupe and the FWD (!) 2 series family tourer!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scimjim

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Its never been a true representation of engine, my e30 was a 316, it had a 1.8 carbd engine, the 316i was a faster 1.6 injected model.

Once upon a time it was a true representation of the engine - E21/E28 etc.

whitestu

posted on 20/11/14 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:

And if they're doing their job well, that will be what sells cars and keeps the company in business.

Porsche (as a VAG brand) make no bones at all about selling Boxters, Cayennes, Caymens and Macans to make money. the 911 might be their crown jewels, but it would not exist any more without the other models.

You are spot on, but unfortunately I seem to prefer the cars made by the companies that went bust!

Irony

posted on 20/11/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I huge product range is the first step to doing each product poorly. Look at Apple. Steve jobs kept the product range small and perfectly formed. He died and the marketeers took over. Enter different sized phones, iPad mini, iWatch. Now Android and Windows phones are catching up!
britishtrident

posted on 20/11/14 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Is it just me or does anyone else think that BMW are completely taking the wee with their Massive product range.
They now have the 1 series, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 series models, all of them have 3 or 4 different body styles. They also have the X1, x3, x5, x6 and i'm sure i saw an x2 the other day.
who at BMW decided on the 2 series, did they say "what the public really need is something bigger than a 1 but smaller than a 3"? come on really!!!!!!!
Don't even get me started on the New Mini range and it's inffinate body styles!!!!!!!

You could say the same about practically any modern car manufacturer, go to any supermarket car park and you will be pushed to find any two cars to the same spec, you will find loads of white Astras and Corsa but no two will have the same lights or bumpers or wheels.. It isn't that new a trend even 10+ years back. I used to play a game when stuck in traffic and try and spot how many combinations of bumper I could spot on Rover 45s.

What gets about the MINI it is huge on the outside and tiny on the inside, all body pointless styles they have added are really ugly and they don't exactly have a sparkling reputation for reliability and low repair costs but it still sells like hot cakes.
The problem is the generations who are now buying cars have been brought up on computer game pads and iPhone, they have a short attention span and judge a car by how cool the dashboard looks and very few of them have any idea what the oily bits actually do.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 20/11/14 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

quote:

You are spot on, but unfortunately I seem to prefer the cars made by the companies that went bust!

Have you ever noticed classic luxury cars don't have any modern gadgets but are still luxury cars. Modern mass market cars have all the gadgets but are still tin boxes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

morcus

posted on 20/11/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Someone sort of beat me to it in a round about way but was going to Say VW are the masters of that, even if you just count the VW brand look at how many cars they do that pretty much fill the same hole.

The whole numbering thing of renaming the coupes as separate models helps distinguish them from the 4 doors and makes them more marketable which is important now that the 3 series is the best selling car of its kind.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

loggyboy

posted on 20/11/14 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
quote:

Even the E21 315 was a 1.6, 316 was a 1.8.

Mistral Motorsport

DW100

posted on 20/11/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not any different than VW Audi Group and their engines.

I run a Workshop and about 60% of the cars in are VW Audi group, almost never see the same spec engine twice. Means most of them haven't had enough development time spent on them.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
have to say though cars have certainly got larger on the outside but the interiors are so cramped and dark especially in the back, they've become quite depressing places to be

a few weeks ago I sat in a mk1 granada and it seem like a tardis inside and just lovely, bright and spacious, whish I could have bought it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scimjim

posted on 20/11/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
quote:

Even the E21 315 was a 1.6, 316 was a 1.8.

Not when they first appeared. The 315 came in as the base model when the 316 became a 1.8. At release the 316 was a 1.6, the 318 a 1.8 and the 320 a 2 litre.

I like the simpler designations - 3, 5, 6, 7 & 8 series, some touring, some ragtops, compacts, 4WD (in LHD and only on the 325i IIRC?) - makes much more sense now

Furyous

posted on 21/11/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
As said above, the equal numbers are two door versions of the odd numbers. So a 2 series is a two door 1 series, 4 series is a two door 3 series.

Trouble is, they came out with a four door 6 series and a four door 4 series.

Not that I'm the target market, but I used to be a BMW fan and kept an eye on all their new models. I don't bother now because they've diluted the brand so much. I never bothered following Mercedes because they had such a confusing line up. They have a C class, but what's the difference with a CLS and CLK? Their whole model range was muddled like that.

morcus

posted on 22/11/14 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
I believe Mercedes are working towards simplifying there naming system hence why the CLK went back to being the E Class Coupé and the CL becoming the S Coupé.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.