Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD Help - Iges import issue
andylancaster3000

posted on 1/12/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
CAD Help - Iges import issue

Hi all,

One for the CAD experts (....or the better amateurs than me!)

I have an IGES file generated from a Faro arm measurement of our car's spaceframe and need to try turning this in a 3D model. The iges is made up of a load of planes and 'circles' which if viewed in an open-source iges viewer I can see (as below). However when I open the file in something like solidworks or solid edge I can only see the planes.

Anyone got any clues as to what I doing wrong?!

bart

posted on 1/12/14 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
could be on different layers
switch all layers on.

HowardB

posted on 1/12/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
interesting problem that throws up loads of answers in the forums. Which SW are you using.?

have a read of this,,...

linky

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

posted on 1/12/14 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I could open it in solidworks for you if you like, check the model?
lines and circles sounds like solidworks weldments that haven't become features

Alan B

posted on 1/12/14 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've worked a bit on this kind of stuff, and unless I'm mistaken I'm not really sure how you can do this.
With your point data how does it know which 2 points form a line? which 3 points form a plane?

I guess there is some intelligence in the software, but without hundreds of points I don't see how it can be done?

Love for someone to enlighten me otherwise.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 1/12/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
I've worked a bit on this kind of stuff, and unless I'm mistaken I'm not really sure how you can do this.
With your point data how does it know which 2 points form a line? which 3 points form a plane?

I guess there is some intelligence in the software, but without hundreds of points I don't see how it can be done?

When scanned, presumably the user can tell the software that 'these next four points define a plate surface'? With the metrology kit I have used, the data is generally just a point cloud, which then has to be post-processed. Also, we typically load into the metrology kit the CAD model we are trying to compare against (which is something that cant be done if reverse engineering as the OP is trying to do)....

Alan B

posted on 1/12/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

When scanned, presumably the user can tell the software that 'these next four points define a plate surface'? With the metrology kit I have used, the data is generally just a point cloud, which then has to be post-processed. Also, we typically load into the metrology kit the CAD model we are trying to compare against (which is something that cant be done if reverse engineering as the OP is trying to do)....

Yes, the comparing to existing CAD model scenario is what I'm familiar with.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.