Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Be careful over Christmas - not so merry for some.....
pewe

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful over Christmas - not so merry for some.....

Saw this whilst out walking yesterday.
Whilst I have every sympathy for all those involved, who in their right fricking mind puts lit candles on a Christmas tree?
Turns out it's a rented property.
Should think the odds on the owner's insurance paying out are much reduced due to naked flame being involved even if his lease excluded the use of naked flames or does landlords insurance cover third party negligence?
Presumably he could sue the tenants but again doubt he'll get far.
Having suffered a fire years ago in a factory we'd just moved into there's a lot of anguish and trauma sorting the mess out
Can't really imagine what it's like when your possessions are gone...

House fire

Cheers, Pewe10

Slimy38

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
who in their right fricking mind puts lit candles on a Christmas tree?

I'm thinking someone who wants to win the 2015 Darwin award...

I can see why they thought it was a good idea though, I've seen tree ornaments with electric 'candles' on them (lightbulbs on sticks) so it's only a small dim-witted leap to putting real candles on a full tree.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
yip that's just well daft though probably the same kind of weak dim witted mind that lets off fireworks around 2 weeks either side of fireworks day (or any day they please), in the middle of a housing estate @ 11pm FFS!

some people should leave the thinking to the grown ups

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/12/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Chinese lanterns...
Dick Axtell

posted on 18/12/14 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Chinese lanterns...

= Chinese burns (!!). If you're really unlucky.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

garyt

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
yeah we have a problem with idiots letting Chinese lanterns off up here, once up they look just like a distress flare over the sea.... and then yes you guessed it .... coastguard, lifeboat even the helicopter scrambled, just hope no one actually needs them while they are on these wild goose chases.

Ok rant over......

morcus

posted on 18/12/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy you aren't the only sufferer of that, From early September until I left at the end of November there were people setting off fire works pretty much every night, any time from about 6 until 3 in the morning. That combined with the constant Helicopters made living in Filton like living in a warzone.

Very sad to see this but again, why put candles in trees? Candles in general just turn people into idiots

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

BenB

posted on 19/12/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
But lights on Christmas trees were originally candles so how did they do it? I suspect they "learnt" how to do it properly and ensuring the candles weren't directly under a branch.... Just saying.....
Miks15

posted on 19/12/14 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
We have candles on our xmas tree every year. Its part of our Danish tradition. They get lit on christmas eve (when we celebrate christmas) and we have a song and dance around the tree.

And like Ben says, as long as you're sensible about where you place them, and don't leave them unattended they're not dangerous at all. Not saying accidents can't happen, but its no more dangerous than having any other candles lit in the house.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.