Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto power increases
nick205

posted on 24/11/04 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto power increases

What's the most effective route to gettting more power from standad Pinto?

The engine has been fully rebuilt with a new oversize pistons (2096cc I think), rings, bearings, valves and a standard profile camshaft. The carb is a Weber 32/26 manual choke with standard electronic ignition (Bosch/Motorcraft).

Would a performance camshaft be the best place to start or are there any other areas to adddress first?

Cheers

Nick

Bananaman

posted on 24/11/04 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted a pair of 40's and a performance cam, and Iam well happy with the performance of my Xtreme. Iam getting 150 BHP at the wheels.

Cheers
Michael

Rob Allison

posted on 26/11/04 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
A Garrett T3
jacko

posted on 26/11/04 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
pinto mods

Hi Nick i would suggest getting a book could how to power tune ford sohc "pinto and cosworth dohc engines" by Des Hammill and read it cover to cover its a very good read i hope this helps you jacko
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fester

posted on 26/11/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
pinto power

I'm with Jacko on that one,good book.Rob reckons a Garret T3 , check out www.turbofast.co.au for the Ray hall site ,click on "turbo calculators",Then "turbo match" ..Good fun
MikeRJ

posted on 27/11/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bananaman
I fitted a pair of 40's and a performance cam, and Iam well happy with the performance of my Xtreme. Iam getting 150 BHP at the wheels.

Cheers
Michael

With a standard head? Getting a genuine 150bhp at the flywheel is possible with a well ported head and decent cam, but much more than that starts to get very expensive for a N/A engine.

tractorboy

posted on 27/11/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a standard 2 ltr fitted with twin 40's and im getting 146 bhp on a rolling road . believe me its quite quick enough to scare the pants off you !!!!!!!
Avoneer

posted on 27/11/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 2ltr with fast cam and twin 45's. Not rr'd yet, but fast enough for me and not much that'll play with you from the lights.
Pat....

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 28/11/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tractorboy
ive got a standard 2 ltr fitted with twin 40's and im getting 146 bhp on a rolling road . believe me its quite quick enough to scare the pants off you !!!!!!!

That will be a flywheel power reading though, using the guestimated transmission loss.

DCOE's are good, but gaining somewhere between 31-41bhp odd over stock seems remarkable, especialy as the stock DGAV carb is good for up to 140bhp.

Bertie basset

posted on 30/11/04 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmm, if you can get 150 at wheels on 40's and a cam i'll have a dozen please.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/11/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
30% or so more power just from a carb change seems suspect......

atb

steve

greggors84

posted on 30/11/04 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling road figures always seem a bit suspect to me. Good for comparing cars or mods but not good for giving reliable power outputs, especially at the fly.

Also depends how the operator measures the fly figure, most use the coast down calcs, but ive heard of some just using a simple formula.

Got a 2.1, large valve ported head, fast road cam (i think) and twin 45s.

I bought the engine as it is, as i wanted something i could just drop straight in and was told it was around 150-160 at the fly but i dont know how this was measured. I think he may have been going off what people have got with similar mods.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Bananaman

posted on 1/12/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Whoops! I think that I may have unibtentionally misled a bit here. The head has been worked on, ports, valves, valve seats, compression, etc.

It's still quite quick though, even it it's in a heavier stainless chassis with a slightly portly driver!

I have to agree about rolling roads and dynos, the performance figures all depend on the operator.

Cheers
Michael

[Edited on 1/12/04 by Bananaman]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.