Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cable for Steering Wheel Horn Press
ChrisJ15

posted on 20/12/14 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cable for Steering Wheel Horn Press

I'm wiring up my J15 and I just came to the horn press. I'm using a momo wheel with horn press in the centre and the lead which gets switched to earth just hangs below the column. Trouble is, when there's enough slack to turn lock to lock it can get snagged on some of the bits and bobs around the column.
I dont want to do anything complex like slip rings or clocksprings but wondered if anyone has any simple ideas or has used curly cable?

turnipfarmer

posted on 20/12/14 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Like you, I didn't want to bother with slip rings.

Tried various solutions, but in the end ditched the idea of having the horn press in the wheel, & went for a separate momentary push button on the dash.

Simplest solution of all to wire up.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/12/14 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
You could use spiral cable - but you'd have to use a relay for the horn because the spiral cable would never withstand the current required by the horn.

I used the slip rings from the Sierra steering column - worked well, and the wheel hub I bought (Momo) was designed to take the plastic & brass disc that the contacts... contacted.

steve m

posted on 20/12/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
"Like you, I didn't want to bother with slip rings.

Tried various solutions, but in the end ditched the idea of having the horn press in the wheel, & went for a separate momentary push button on the dash.

Simplest solution of all to wire up."

+1

exactly what I did

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ChrisJ15

posted on 21/12/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys.
Annoyingly I eBayed the spiral cable jobby from the donor car which I think would have worked with the steering wheel boss I have.
Cant be @rsed to buy another so button on dash it is!

Marcus

posted on 21/12/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I wired mine to the washer switch on my stalk (Opel Manta). That was before I fitted a screen. Now I need washers so put a button for them on the centre console

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.