Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is a steering lock required for the MOT on a 1985 car
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/14 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Is a steering lock required for the MOT on a 1985 car

yeah as above, do I need one to get through? conversion issues are making life hard if I kept it and I have much more effective devices fitted

thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 22/12/14 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
No.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/14 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
even for here that was a quick reply

looks good then, just going with my motorbike chain through the wheel anyway...

cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 23/12/14 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I have not seen any mechanical anti theft device that cannot be removed quickly with your average battery powered 4 -1/2" angle grinder and a 1mm cutting disc. I would on the other hand have great difficulty with an immobiliser esp if it was part of the ECU design (Like Ford PATS).

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

r1_pete

posted on 23/12/14 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Many years ago we had an Astra GTE stolen from wifes work car park, it had a steering wheel stoplock fitted, they just cut the steering wheel with a junior hacksaw and slipped it off....
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
I have not seen any mechanical anti theft device that cannot be removed quickly with your average battery powered 4 -1/2" angle grinder and a 1mm cutting disc. I would on the other hand have great difficulty with an immobiliser esp if it was part of the ECU design (Like Ford PATS).

I think I'd have much more difficulty fitting an immobiliser especially an ECU one to a 1985 landrover....

If you really want to confound them with older cars then the old war time trick of simply taking the distributor rotor arm is a good one and even better these days of electronic ignition. On my cortina I use to remove the two jets on the side of the carb when leaving the car in town overnight

Even on modern cars most have a couple of fuses that will prevent the engine starting if removed and will just seem that an immobiliser is in use

[Edited on 23/12/14 by Mr Whippy]

on_eighty_runner

posted on 23/12/14 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not required. Have had a smart Roadster and my wife a ForTwo and I don't believe a steering lock fitted to either.
Is a facility to lock in reverse though.

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/12/14 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by on_eighty_runner
Not required. Have had a smart Roadster and my wife a ForTwo and I don't believe a steering lock fitted to either.
Is a facility to lock in reverse though.

I suppose my SAAB did have a gearshift lock instead

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.