Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR 1100 related
flak monkey

posted on 23/12/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR 1100 related

So, I guess a few of you might be using these lumps in your cars? I picked up a '91 bike to use as a winter hack for the princely sum of £450. It's got a few minor problems, but nothing you wouldn't really expect for a nearly 24 year old bike.

The most annoying is it jumps out of second gear - which I'm putting down to either a knackered shift fork or the dogs are rounded off. I got hold of a good secondhand gearbox for it though and plan to fit it over the holiday. Anyone split the cases on one of these before?

Secondly I had the carbs stripped apart last weekend to give them a clean out and it looks like someone might have fiddled with them at some point in the past. The needles had been changed, I believe the stock ones only have one circlip groove but mine have 5, they'd also been shimmed with 2 washers under each clip. Mains had been changed to 140's as well. It's got a K&N panel filter and the nexxus cans have been drilled as well.

It seems to run well, just wondered if anyone might have any idea on the carb alterations? Dynojet maybe?

I plan on turning it into a custom with some trick bits on it next year - after I put the Blackbird back on the road.

[Edited on 23/12/14 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

rick1962uk

posted on 23/12/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
hi just emailed you a d model kawasaki manual its an easy job make sure when you put it back together to use a good quality none setting sealant
maccmike

posted on 23/12/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like dynojet to me. Standard mains are 155s if its a C. I ran 160 outers and 165 inners to help keep inner to cylinders cooler.
flak monkey

posted on 23/12/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

Any idea why the dynojet installation sheet says install the shims ABOVE the needle clip? What does that achieve? Surely nothing, putting them under the clip would raise the needles further, making it run richer. Putting them on top they just sit there?

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/European/Kawasaki/E2143.004.pdf

When I stripped mine down the shims were under the clip?

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

coozer

posted on 23/12/14 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a Z1000ST... (wish I still had it, along with the 350lc I had before it)

I split the engine to change it from shaft drive to chain... Dead easy, turn the engine over, take all the bolts out, lift the bottom half off and lift the gearbox out, drop the new one in! Best to undo and take the clutch off first. Check for any sideway move on the gear shafts and put new slips in if so...

Reason I changed was because after doing a massive wheely for about 1\4 mile to impress two birds on scooters it snapped the output shaft! And, trying to find a new shaft drive gearbox was a no no..

Ahhh, the good old days....

Heres one of the 3nift that i used to be able to change the crank bearings double quick on a Saturday morning... circa 1982 ish...

[Edited on 23/12/14 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.